The Student Room Group

PLEASE READ is 3A*'s 2A's 3B's 2C's and 4A's at AS good enough

Is 3A*'s 2A's 3B's 2C's(GCSE) and 4A's(AS) good enough for applying to Bristol, UCL, Warwick and Nottingham for a degree in
Economics and mathematics BSc. Considering i got an A* at GCSE mathematics at the end of year 10. And also since i am studying:

Further Mathematics
Mathematics
Physics
Economics

Opinions please

PS If anyone got accepted on these courses would you please tell me what your were grades were at GCSE and AS.

Scroll to see replies

You have really strong AS subjects and all As so thats good.

You might struggle with UCL because of your GCSEs.

Just make sure your PS is spectacular and you have really good reference and you should have a good shot at most of those.

(COME ON ARSENAL!!!)
Reply 2
The only university that would reject you straight off for those grades is LSE. As has been said, with UCL you may struggle, as they go quite hard on GCSEs, but for the others they wouldn't be particularly bad GCSEs. Plus having strong AS subjects and grades helps a lot.

I got accepted for Warwick and Nottingham's Maths and Econ (well, MORSE at Warwick, but very similar). I have 3.5A*s, 6As, 1.5Bs and half a D at GCSE, and 5 As at AS level.
Reply 3
Drogue
The only university that would reject you straight off for those grades is LSE. As has been said, with UCL you may struggle, as they go quite hard on GCSEs, but for the others they wouldn't be particularly bad GCSEs. Plus having strong AS subjects and grades helps a lot.

I got accepted for Warwick and Nottingham's Maths and Econ (well, MORSE at Warwick, but very similar). I have 3.5A*s, 6As, 1.5Bs and half a D at GCSE, and 5 As at AS level.

Actually considering he's applying for Economics and Mathematics, he might not necessarily be rejected immediately by LSE. Were you?
Reply 4
Got an offer from Bristol with 1A*, 6As and 2Bs in my GCSEs and 4As at AS.
Reply 5
Knogle
Actually considering he's applying for Economics and Mathematics, he might not necessarily be rejected immediately by LSE. Were you?

Point taken. No I wasn't.
Reply 6
Drogue
I have 3.5A*s, 6As, 1.5Bs and half a D at GCSE, and 5 As at AS level.

I still fail to understand how someone can get 3.5 A*s
Reply 7
WokSz
I still fail to understand how someone can get 3.5 A*s

Short-course (in for example R.E. or ICT) accounts for half a GCSE.
Reply 8
I did the same AS levels and got predicted 4 As at A-level and got the following offers in Economics.

All were pretty quick but Warwick took their time for people with Further Maths at my school.
Reply 9
Reply 10
Grades aren't everything. Some people who have the perfect grades got rejected from those places.

With your grades, I don't see why you can't apply to those universities but as I said they don't guarantee anyone a place.

Best of luck
So how does LSE take GCSE grades?

With say 3xA* 7xA 3xB

Don't know about A Level, I'm in year 11
Reply 12
ashmufc
So how does LSE take GCSE grades?

With say 3xA* 7xA 3xB

Don't know about A Level, I'm in year 11

For Economics I think they want at least 6 A*s, but that's just LSE being LSE:rolleyes:
Reply 13
You could always do Maths then Economics post grad?
Reply 14
paddy357
For Economics I think they want at least 6 A*s, but that's just LSE being LSE:rolleyes:

Nope, they do take people with less than 6A*. Perhaps in the initial selection round all those with 8-9A*s will receive an offer (of course also taking into consideration their 'A' level grades, reference, etc), but they do work down from there.
Reply 15
Knogle
Nope, they do take people with less than 6A*. Perhaps in the initial selection round all those with 8-9A*s will receive an offer (of course also taking into consideration their 'A' level grades, reference, etc), but they do work down from there.

for straight economics, all the people on tsr who had less than 6A* were rejected by january.
Thanks, so I have to work harder to get 6, I should be able to do it.
Reply 17
get 9/10A* and you're almost guranteed to get an offer.
LOL, thats pretty damn hard!
Reply 19
Not really for GCSE. When you think about the amount of marks that you can get in coursework.

Latest

Trending

Trending