The Student Room Group

Can I still apply English Lit at Uni?

Hi all :smile:

I've always wanted to study Literature at university and most of the courses I'm looking at require AAA. Sadly, I missed out on the A in Lit at AS, as I got 153/200, which is a high B. I know I can bring it up in A2, and I'm also thinking of resitting to get higher ums, but is it going to really harm my chances that I didn't get an A in As? My other grades were A grade (History, Language, Film Studies and Spanish). I have to apply soon so I am getting quite worried.

Thanks xx
Reply 1
Are you likely to be predicted an A for A2? If so it shouldn't harm your chances much, especially with your As in 4 other subjects. Where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 2
Hi :smile:

I wouldn't worry too much, I got an A at AS (A* overall) but two of my friends got a B at AS and both got into Sheffield (AAA). One of my friends got a D at AS, resat (he was predicted much higher), got full marks and ended up with an A* at A2. He got accepted into all five of his universities regardless of the fact that he had to put 'D' in the lit slot for AS and one of his degree applications was joint lit and French (he says this was likely due to a high predicted grade, solid grades in his other subjects and a good reference/personal statement). Although he may be a rarity, my teacher was an AQA marker and she said that in her experience it's not rare at all for applicants who averaged a C at AS to end up with A's or even A*s at A2 :smile:

Basically your grade is good (if not excellent, lit is a difficult subject obviously so well done!) and you shouldn't be overly concerned in my opinion/from my experience :smile:

Hope this helps!
x
(edited 11 years ago)
Resitting won't generally harm your chances.
Yes you can apply if you want to
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice everyone :smile: Oh, and I was thinking of applying to places like York and Lancaster btw. Not entirely decided yet.
Reply 6
You could look at their websites/ prospectuses and see what they say about standard offers, or even ring them up- can't do any harm :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending