The Student Room Group

CIMA vs CFA: Which is less difficult/cheaper/globally recognized?

Hi Everyone,

I am debating between the CFA and CIMA qualifications. I currently work at JPMorgan in the Product Control group within the Investment Bank.

I realize that these qualifications are very different, but I am basing my decision on the following factors: global recognition (including the US), degree of difficulty (which one is considered less difficult), and least expensive.

The CFA, I feel, is more globally recognized than the CIMA (I may consider moving back to the US in a few years). Would you say the CIMA is well recognized? Which one would you consider more difficult?

Also, I've been looking at the CIMA courses offered at LSBF, do you think it would be a waste of money to take the courses when (from my understanding) CIMA provides you with everything you need to study? And what exactly do they mean by tuition and revision courses? I'm assuming I'll get the revision material from CIMA itself...

I would definitely consider taking courses to help me study for the CFA because I feel that there are only 3 exams I need to pass, whereas for the CIMA, because there are 9+ papers, it will cost a fortune to study for each in part.

Thanks - appreciate your help.
Reply 1
I can't answer most of your question (sorry) but in relation to the extras you pay for, module content from accounting bodies tends to be thorough but not necessarily written in a way that is perfect for learning. In other words it can be overly dry and therefore you will probably get the course material again but in a more palatable fashion. This is the case with ACA/CA/ACCA anyway.
Original post by bratosvan
Hi Everyone,

I am debating between the CFA and CIMA qualifications. I currently work at JPMorgan in the Product Control group within the Investment Bank.

I realize that these qualifications are very different, but I am basing my decision on the following factors: global recognition (including the US), degree of difficulty (which one is considered less difficult), and least expensive.

The CFA, I feel, is more globally recognized than the CIMA (I may consider moving back to the US in a few years). Would you say the CIMA is well recognized? Which one would you consider more difficult?

Also, I've been looking at the CIMA courses offered at LSBF, do you think it would be a waste of money to take the courses when (from my understanding) CIMA provides you with everything you need to study? And what exactly do they mean by tuition and revision courses? I'm assuming I'll get the revision material from CIMA itself...

I would definitely consider taking courses to help me study for the CFA because I feel that there are only 3 exams I need to pass, whereas for the CIMA, because there are 9+ papers, it will cost a fortune to study for each in part.

Thanks - appreciate your help.

These two qualifications are on a completely different level and related to completely different things. CFA is for the buy-side, think Hedge funds, asset managers etc. and CIMA is for management reports and helping influence decision making within a company.

CFA is substantially harder, pass rates highlight this. It is also quite expensive, £100 subscription, £1000+ per exam, £500+ for basic study materials. Although the total combined cost of the CIMA may be similar, you can pass a few exams and then hope to land a job that will pay for the rest. CFA is a huge investment right off the bat and the high fees are a barrier for those seeking to pass a few exams on their own before seeking employment.

CFA is definitely more globally recognised, especially in the US.

Both very different qualifications leading down different paths. Apples and oranges. Make your mind up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending