The Student Room Group

buy now pay later

Basically I want to buy a netbook for university but for several reasons and commitments I won't be able to afford it now or with my first loan instalment I will only be able to afford to pay for one in January. I was considering buying one from very (after researching them elsewhere and going to see it in another shop) on a buy now pay later thing but only if I have understood this correctly.

the website says:

"Buy Now Pay Later is subject to the stated minimum cash order value and account status. Interest will accrue from the date of purchase but will not show on the account until the first statement after the expiry of the deferred payment period. You can avoid paying interest by contacting us and paying the cash price in full before the end of the deferred payment period. All Financial Services products, delivery and installation charges are excluded from this offer, which is valid until 04.01.13."

So am I correct in thinking that the bolded part means that if I buy the laptop on a "buy now pay in 9 months" basis, but contact them to pay in January well before the 9 months is up I will pay only the initial price no interest? Sorry if this seems like a really stupid question. Also again probably a stupid question but how would I do that? would there be a way to do that on my account online or would I phone them?

also anywhere else that I could do something similar or any other advice would be very welcome.
Reply 1
Yeah, you are correct. However, if you miss the payment date you will pay the full interest, which is usually something ridiculous like 30% APR. There may however be an early settlement fee, which IIRC when i worked in currys was a flat £20.

I would say that it is a bad idea though. You never know how things are gonna roll at uni, what if your balances dont quite fit? Why dont you get a student current account and do it with your interest fee overdraft? Plus, its not like its necessary to get a netbook for uni...

I guess i am quite debt averse...

EDIT: Oh if you are living off a student loan and otherwise unemployed you will probably instantly be rejected by the credit check.
Reply 2
It's a pretty good idea as long as you can pay it off, or you end up paying way over the odds.
The other option you have is a catalogue. My flatmate's laptop broke and she couldn't afford a new one so she bought one with littlewoods and paid about £35 a month, and if she had spare money she'd pay a bit more off. She'd cleared it with a year.
Reply 3
Original post by paperclip
Yeah, you are correct. However, if you miss the payment date you will pay the full interest, which is usually something ridiculous like 30% APR. There may however be an early settlement fee, which IIRC when i worked in currys was a flat £20.

I would say that it is a bad idea though. You never know how things are gonna roll at uni, what if your balances dont quite fit? Why dont you get a student current account and do it with your interest fee overdraft? Plus, its not like its necessary to get a netbook for uni...

I guess i am quite debt averse...

EDIT: Oh if you are living off a student loan and otherwise unemployed you will probably instantly be rejected by the credit check.

hmm I can't find anywhere on the website that says about an early settlement fee but I found it really hard to find the part that told me what the interest rate was so I'm assuming your right and there is one but I can't find where it tells me what it is. You probably not going to be impressed by this but :P.. I do have an interest free overdraft, however I am currently in it so far that there isn't enough left to buy a net book as had to pay rent over the summer which I failed to budget for. I guess once my loan comes in and the overdraft I've already accrued is paid off I could use it. I do intent to try and find a job this year but theres always the possibility that I won't be able to so I don't want to count on it. However theres no possibility of me failing the credit check as I already have the account with approved credit of up to £600. I've had it for about 6 months as I was going to buy a dress on there but never did. currently every month they send me a bill for £0 :P

I guess the most important thing though is your right I don't absolutely need it, it would just make my life easier.

Original post by GKL1410
It's a pretty good idea as long as you can pay it off, or you end up paying way over the odds.
The other option you have is a catalogue. My flatmate's laptop broke and she couldn't afford a new one so she bought one with littlewoods and paid about £35 a month, and if she had spare money she'd pay a bit more off. She'd cleared it with a year.

if I can find a job in my university town I will consider getting one in pay monthly instalments, or just trying to not use my wage and save it up however currently I will have no spare money at all to even pay the instalments :frown:
Reply 4
You need to think long and hard: is this a need, or a want?
Reply 5
it is definitely a want. if it was a complete need I would have no choice but to buy it from somewhere even if that meant I would have to pay interest ect on it. but since its not I'm obviously not going to do that. I guess I probably should just wait though rather than risking something like this because even if its all how I think it is theres still the chance of me forgetting or ****ing it up somehow
Reply 6
Original post by boba
hmm I can't find anywhere on the website that says about an early settlement fee but I found it really hard to find the part that told me what the interest rate was so I'm assuming your right and there is one but I can't find where it tells me what it is. You probably not going to be impressed by this but :P.. I do have an interest free overdraft, however I am currently in it so far that there isn't enough left to buy a net book as had to pay rent over the summer which I failed to budget for. I guess once my loan comes in and the overdraft I've already accrued is paid off I could use it. I do intent to try and find a job this year but theres always the possibility that I won't be able to so I don't want to count on it. However theres no possibility of me failing the credit check as I already have the account with approved credit of up to £600. I've had it for about 6 months as I was going to buy a dress on there but never did. currently every month they send me a bill for £0 :P

I guess the most important thing though is your right I don't absolutely need it, it would just make my life easier.

I have an overdraft of close enough £3,000. I failed to find a job during uni and i have just graduated and have yet to find employment. If i dont get one soon, in a years time it will start racking up interest. I did look for a job, but i didn't get anything, dont rely on finding a job someday, as it will just make your life difficult when you graduate. Especially if you are getting a loan that might earn you interest, its just not worth it to be honest. I know people that have gone the entire length of their course without a computer at all, so you can do it. At the end of the day it is just gonna be more stress for you, and you are gonna just be pissed off that you are spending money on an electrical appliance because you are too lazy to take notes when your friends wanna go out and you cannot afford to. I know plenty with snazzy phones and such that went thought these motions. To be honest, a cheapo netbook is about £100, you can probably budget that if you really needed to.

I need a job :frown:

EDIT: Ask them about an early settlement fee, there might not be one. But if you are buying a loan read the terms and conditions properly!

EDIT 2: Just saw your above post, good call! Think of it as motivation to find a job :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by paperclip
I have an overdraft of close enough £3,000. I failed to find a job during uni and i have just graduated and have yet to find employment. If i dont get one soon, in a years time it will start racking up interest. I did look for a job, but i didn't get anything, dont rely on finding a job someday, as it will just make your life difficult when you graduate. Especially if you are getting a loan that might earn you interest, its just not worth it to be honest. I know people that have gone the entire length of their course without a computer at all, so you can do it. At the end of the day it is just gonna be more stress for you, and you are gonna just be pissed off that you are spending money on an electrical appliance because you are too lazy to take notes when your friends wanna go out and you cannot afford to. I know plenty with snazzy phones and such that went thought these motions. To be honest, a cheapo netbook is about £100, you can probably budget that if you really needed to.

I need a job :frown:

EDIT: Ask them about an early settlement fee, there might not be one. But if you are buying a loan read the terms and conditions properly!

EDIT 2: Just saw your above post, good call! Think of it as motivation to find a job :wink:

yeah I'm trying not to rely on finding a job in case I don't get one. and my overdraft is £1000 but I really don't want to get it extended as then I will probably go into it. I would have to look a lot more into it if I actually went through with it but I'm nowhere near at the point of thinking I might actually do it yet its just an ideal thought at the moment. which I probably will give up on.

but also £100? the cheapest one I've found so far is £180! where is this mystical £100 computer I will have it right away! :P
Reply 8
Original post by boba
Basically I want to buy a netbook for university but for several reasons and commitments I won't be able to afford it now or with my first loan instalment I will only be able to afford to pay for one in January. I was considering buying one from very (after researching them elsewhere and going to see it in another shop) on a buy now pay later thing but only if I have understood this correctly.

the website says:

"Buy Now Pay Later is subject to the stated minimum cash order value and account status. Interest will accrue from the date of purchase but will not show on the account until the first statement after the expiry of the deferred payment period. You can avoid paying interest by contacting us and paying the cash price in full before the end of the deferred payment period. All Financial Services products, delivery and installation charges are excluded from this offer, which is valid until 04.01.13."

So am I correct in thinking that the bolded part means that if I buy the laptop on a "buy now pay in 9 months" basis, but contact them to pay in January well before the 9 months is up I will pay only the initial price no interest? Sorry if this seems like a really stupid question. Also again probably a stupid question but how would I do that? would there be a way to do that on my account online or would I phone them?

also anywhere else that I could do something similar or any other advice would be very welcome.

I've got a laptop from Very, as well as a few other items. I've never had any problems with them in the slightest. I basically ordered what i wanted using BNPL, but made sure i had paid it off before the repayment date so no interest was applied. If you buy it online, you will set up an online account and youd be able to pay for it online also. Bear in mind that if you open an account, you will probably get a maximum of a £250 credit limit, until you build up a good payment history with them. PM me if you have any further questions
The other thing you can do is look at a list of credit cards for students that give you 0% for up to even 18 months (the Halifax one is quite good).

More info here >> http://www.savethestudent.org/money/student-credit-cards-the-ultimate-guide.html

But, as stressed by other posters, you need to know that you can pay it back.

It will also help your credit rating too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending