The Student Room Group

why are guys so much more laid back than girls?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I prefer the company of females *shrug*
Reply 41
Original post by Spontogical
I genuinely don't understand why girls don't get along with eachother. :/ - I hear this all the time.. girls prefer having guy friends.. and guys also prefer having guy friends.. what is wrong with girls having friends with girls? I'm sure you don't have genetically predisposed difficulties when it comes to leaving the cattiness and bitchiness at the door? Si?

I don't know the answer to this one 100% either, but I have tended to realise that the girls I don't get along with tend to be the ones that are either very insecure about themselves and as such perceive me as a threat somehow or we happen to be a little too similar, which can be great sometimes, but does create competition sometimes too.

I wonder if it could therefore be some biological competition thing? After all going way back, women had to compete for the attention of males to gain security for themselves and their future offspring and if you didn't have a man to provide you were pretty much left out cold. Nowadays we don't necessarily need to find a man to provide for us if we can work for ourselves, but maybe the instinct is still there to compete against other women for men and to keep other women away from our men when we have them.

Obviously I don't know how true it is, but it could sort of explain the situation somewhat...
Girls love to bitch about other girls, we all do it. And we all know it.
Lads tell you how it is, and tend to just take it from each other.
Girls tend to beat around the bush, and don't like to hear the truth.
Reply 43
I don't think it's a matter of the guys being laid back, I think it's a matter of the guys wanting female company.
Reply 44
Original post by Spontogical
I genuinely don't understand why girls don't get along with eachother. :/ - I hear this all the time.. girls prefer having guy friends.. and guys also prefer having guy friends.. what is wrong with girls having friends with girls? I'm sure you don't have genetically predisposed difficulties when it comes to leaving the cattiness and bitchiness at the door? Si?

The girls who have problems being friends with girls usually have personal issues, create dramas, feel competitive or feel insecure with other girls, I strongly believe the girls who claim to prefer being friends with men are the ones with the issues themselves and not the girls they are so agaisnt. They seem to get on the high horse about being 'one of the lads' when really they are actually worse/bitcher than the girls they have generalized and unfairly judged.

Ive been friends with girls and only girls all my life, and there is no bitchyness, drama or anything. I like guys and enjoy their company but I would much rather female friends.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ildaf123
The girls who have problems being friends with girls usually have personal issues, create dramas, feel competitive or feel insecure with other girls, I strongly believe the girls who claim to prefer being friends with men are the ones with the issues themselves and not the girls they are so agaisnt. They seem to get on the high horse about being 'one of the lads' when really they are actually worse/bitcher than the girls they have generalized and unfairly judged.

Ive been friends with girls and only girls all my life, and there is no bitchyness, drama or anything. I like guys and enjoy their company but I would much rather female friends.

So not true. I'm not really into makeup or gossip or fashion or parties, so most of the girls at my school don't like me because they think I'm weird. There are a few girls who have similar interests too me, but they don't want to be my friend because they fear the popular girls not liking then because of it.(What happened too one of my only friends at school.) With guys, I don't have to worry about people talking smack about me or betraying me because of the popular girls. I treat each girl as an individual and I try too make friends with all of them, but most of them either bitch about me or ignore me. I never talk about other people, which I guess makes me an easy target. It's just the complex nature of my all girls school, so at the moment in my life there are very few girls willing too be friends with me, but guys don't care as much that the popular girls don't like me or that I don't wear makeup or go partying.(Also, I don't look down on people who do. It's just my personal preference.) Maybe in the future I'll find girls who don't care about social status, or maybe the girls at school will grow out of it, but for now making friends with girls is really hard for me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Lol, It is true. In order for a boy to get a mate, he must go through to great lengths, in order to become a friend, its easy. But when girls have friendships, it seems easy in childhood but not in adulthood.
Original post by fl4mers
I think you have to know who you can banter with and who not though. Because some people take the so-called banter personally and it makes them feel bad about themselves/ resentful towards the person who said it. I know I'm not very good at taking insulting remarks very well even if I know they're meant as a joke, but the people who know me respect that and don't do it because I've made it clear that's how I feel about it. Some people aren't quite that direct on how they feel, so they end up getting hurt by it instead. It's all about judging a situation accurately and working from there I think...

Yes I think I do understand that. Of course, I don't have that kind of relationship with all my friends just the ones that I know will appreciate it. In fact, that was the whole point of my original comment. I was saying that after getting a fairly good grasp with how far I can take it (if at all), I generally find guys can be insulted a lot more heavily and are fine with it, in fact enjoy it. But that makes me a 'not a nice person' apparently. :rolleyes: Ah well, who wants appreciation on the internet when you can bring well-intentioned humour to your friends? :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sheldor
So not true. I'm not really into makeup or gossip or fashion or parties, so most of the girls at my school don't like me because they think I'm weird. There are a few girls who have similar interests too me, but they don't want to be my friend because they fear the popular girls not liking then because of it.(What happened too one of my only friends at school.) With guys, I don't have to worry about people talking smack about me or betraying me because of the popular girls. I treat each girl as an individual and I try too make friends with all of them, but most of them either bitch about me or ignore me. I never talk about other people, which I guess makes me an easy target. It's just the complex nature of my all girls school, so at the moment in my life there are very few girls willing too be friends with me, but guys don't care as much that the popular girls don't like me or that I don't wear makeup or go partying.(Also, I don't look down on people who do. It's just my personal preference.) Maybe in the future I'll find girls who don't care about social status, or maybe the girls at school will grow out of it, but for now making friends with girls is really hard for me.

Oh really? I'm sorry to hear that. I go to an all girls school and this hasn't been the case where I have gone. True, it can be fairly clique-y and far too bitchy for my liking during the younger years but once I entered sixth form, it seemed that the people who created drama have matured a bit. But never at one point would I have said that there was a person in a year who was completely abandoned and didn't have any friends just because they were perceived as being 'weird'. Well, there was time in year 9 (looking back now, its amazing how immature people were) where one of my friend's was outed and a lot of the school turned against her. But she still had me and another for company and support and I suppose that's how my school dynamic previously worked during its bitchy years. If one person was deemed 'very unpopular' or 'totally not cool', they'd still have a couple of friends who saw sense and didn't really care so much about status. So it saddens me that no one is willing to see passed social standings at your school. I'd be your friend! :tongue:
Original post by chocoholic_x
Oh really? I'm sorry to hear that. I go to an all girls school and this hasn't been the case where I have gone. True, it can be fairly clique-y and far too bitchy for my liking during the younger years but once I entered sixth form, it seemed that the people who created drama have matured a bit. But never at one point would I have said that there was a person in a year who was completely abandoned and didn't have any friends just because they were perceived as being 'weird'. Well, there was time in year 9 (looking back now, its amazing how immature people were) where one of my friend's was outed and a lot of the school turned against her. But she still had me and another for company and support and I suppose that's how my school dynamic previously worked during its bitchy years. If one person was deemed 'very unpopular' or 'totally not cool', they'd still have a couple of friends who saw sense and didn't really care so much about status. So it saddens me that no one is willing to see passed social standings at your school. I'd be your friend! :tongue:

Aww, thanks!:smile:. Hopefully sixth form will be better, for now things kind of suck though. I have a few friendsat school, only one of them actually hangs out with me in school and the others hang out with me outside school.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I would agree guys are more laid back

But in the situations you described...sounds like fliritng more than "being chill"
It's funny how people are describing guys as less bitchy, because the guys I know at my school (not all obvs.) are more bitchier, and the bitching is a much harsher type of bitching than girls'. But maybe that's because most of them are dickheads...
Original post by MHRed
People saying the boys are after sex - not neccesarily true.

In my experience:
In an all-girls group of friends, everyone is nice to each other to their face, paying each other compliments about their new haircut and tell each other how awesome each other are. Then when Girl A leaves the room, the rest talk to each other about how Girl A's new haircut makes her look like a bloke and that you've always thought she's a bit of a bitch.

An an all-boys group of friends, you tell one when they're being annoying, not-funny and make a point of calling them out on bull**** or showing off, then when boy A leaves the room, you say about how even though you give boy A a hard time, he's a laugh and a nice lad.

Also, if I don't talk to my friends who are girls for a while and then talk, sometimes I get a response as if to say 'yeah now you wanna talk to me, our friendship means nothing to you, omg, blah' yet if I talk to a boy for the first time in ages, no deal is made of it at all.

...Like I say, just my experience, I'm not saying this is the case with all males/females.

well said!!
Reply 53
Women have more of a sense of vulnerability and need of security, generally speaking of course. It's nature. Men are more straight to the point and have less to fear in life, but the less obvious nature of women has a mystery that can draw a man's interest. It's ingenious and the way it should be. Any other way would be dull by comparison! Vive la difference!
Reply 54
I being stuck up for women acts as their protection measures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending