The Student Room Group

Leicester uni vs sheffield uni

I got an offer to study sociology at sheffield uni however I have been having second thoughts for many reasons. Such as my family has been financial difficulties and so we haven't bought much for uni apart from towels, cutlery and pans. That's it! :L mum keeps saying she will take me shopping but its not happened yet and I'm supposed to move out next week!! Plus I rejoined facebook and I've found my flatmates and people on my course and they don't seem to be people I can relate too at all! :'(. Which is worrying as one I have to live with them and two your course mates are the ones you spend most of your time with.

I applied to Leicester but I don't know much about the city. However they have places left and they start later so I'd have more time to get all my things if I went there it also seems more multicultural and friendlier. What should I do should I ring leicester or stick with sheffield?
(Ps what do people think about the David Attenbrough building) Please help!!
Its naturally to be apprehensive about moving away from home, so relax first off. Why do you need to take loads of stuff to uni? Sounds like you have the basics. You're judging people by what you have seen on Facebook? Seriously? You haven't even met them yet and you written them off!

Sheffield is a top uni and you'd be silly to turn it down at the last minute. Just go with the flow and you'll be fine.
Reply 2
Well I guess you could say it was judging however we have been talking nd all they go on about is partying! That's not me at all! Even though sheffields a good uni I've found out leicester is in the top 10 for my course. I want to move away from home! Its just that I made the wrong decision for my college and I'm getting the same feelings again and I'm scared of doing that again!
Reply 3
Calm yourself, OP. As a Sheffield graduate and current postgrad, I'm speaking from experience when I say you are sure to have many fantastic experiences and chances to meet friends that don't involve partying (if that's not what you're into). Sheffield is a fantastic uni in a fantastic city. Sometimes it's advisable not to speak to people on the internet first off - you can get the wrong impression and worry yourself unnecessarily which is what seems to have happened here.

Sheffield also runs a 'bring it, don't bin it' scheme where new students can pick up donated essentials for free such as plates, pans and clothes if they've not had the opportunity to get them beforehand.

If you have any questions about Sheffield/halls etc then feel free to send me a message.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Jivi
I got an offer to study sociology at sheffield uni however I have been having second thoughts for many reasons. Such as my family has been financial difficulties and so we haven't bought much for uni apart from towels, cutlery and pans. That's it! :L mum keeps saying she will take me shopping but its not happened yet and I'm supposed to move out next week!! Plus I rejoined facebook and I've found my flatmates and people on my course and they don't seem to be people I can relate too at all! :'(. Which is worrying as one I have to live with them and two your course mates are the ones you spend most of your time with.

I applied to Leicester but I don't know much about the city. However they have places left and they start later so I'd have more time to get all my things if I went there it also seems more multicultural and friendlier. What should I do should I ring leicester or stick with sheffield?
(Ps what do people think about the David Attenbrough building) Please help!!

Don't change unis just because you haven't had a chance to go shopping. I'm sure you will have a chance to get your essentials before you go! Personally, i think Sheffield had a much nicer feel to it than Leicester did (have been to both open days this year). There are other ways of meeting friends other than drinking, and even if you get there and really don't like them, it's only for a year! You will have a great time! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending