The Student Room Group

Is there any point in applying to Warwick?

I am looking to apply to Warwick for 2013 in History and Sociology. They are asking for AAB with an A in History.

In AS results I got As in Biology and Sociology and a B in History and English Lang. Is there any point in applying. Warwick is my dream university but am worried because I didn't get the A in History at AS.

Also does anyone know Warwick's policy on AS module retakes? Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 1
If you get predicted an A in History then there should be no problem applying. Were you close? If you could easily bring it up to an A at A2 with hard work it should be fine. I would doubt they will budge on the A on History though if that is the subject you want to study so you will need to get it in the end.
Maybe think about resitting a module or working extra hard to bring the grade up this year?
Reply 2
As long as you apply with it as your best choice and apply to some less demanding universities, there is a point. Make sure you have a great application and you have a decent chance of getting an offer. If you don't you'll always be wondering what if and you still have four more choices. As for the views on retakes, that varies by department, obviously it will be looked down on compared to someone who got the grades first time, but I doubt it is a reason for immediate rejection.
Reply 3
Original post by Mulligan
If you get predicted an A in History then there should be no problem applying. Were you close? If you could easily bring it up to an A at A2 with hard work it should be fine. I would doubt they will budge on the A on History though if that is the subject you want to study so you will need to get it in the end.
Maybe think about resitting a module or working extra hard to bring the grade up this year?

I am going to resit one of my modules in Jan as I got a C so hopefully it will come up. I was 8 UMS points away from an A overall in my AS and I don't think my predicted grade will go up... I am fully prepared to work hard this year to get the A .
Reply 4
Original post by titch_04
I am going to resit one of my modules in Jan as I got a C so hopefully it will come up. I was 8 UMS points away from an A overall in my AS and I don't think my predicted grade will go up... I am fully prepared to work hard this year to get the A .

Work really hard on your teachers to get the predicted A. You were very close and hopefully will bring the grade up next year. :smile:
Get a really good personal statement showing how much you have read around the subject and other things that will make you a good student for the course and hopefully you will get your offer.
Be sure to have some back ups at a lower level that you will get your offer for. There are lots of lovely Unis out there :smile:
Reply 5
You should definitely apply since it's your dream uni and looking at your grades, i think that you could definitely get AAB or higher.

They probably don't mind modules retakes, just make sure that your predicted grades meet/exceeds the entry criteria and you'll probably get an offer.
Reply 6
Original post by missmaria
You should definitely apply since it's your dream uni and looking at your grades, i think that you could definitely get AAB or higher.

They probably don't mind modules retakes, just make sure that your predicted grades meet/exceeds the entry criteria and you'll probably get an offer.

My History predicted grade is a B though and I don't really want to ask them to increase it just in case I don't actually get it. My teacher advised me to e-mail them, so I may do that once I have been to the open day and had a talk to some of the teachers there :smile:
Definitely apply, you will have a chance of getting in. Warwick is a good university overall because it has excellent Economics + Maths departments. It certainly won't be that competitive for your subject, you have a pretty good chance of getting in.

Essentially, History and Sociology will be no way near as competitive as things like Economics, PPE, you have a great shout.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
My History predicted grade is a B though and I don't really want to ask them to increase it just in case I don't actually get it. My teacher advised me to e-mail them, so I may do that once I have been to the open day and had a talk to some of the teachers there :smile:

If I was you, I would ask for a higher predicted grade in History and work hard since Warwick specifically asked for an A in History.
Reply 9
I ALWAYS say that you definitely won't get in unless you apply there. The worst they can do is say no, but they may well make you an offer! I really think a great PS matters a lot to Warwick and certainly in the less competitive subjects grades aren't quite as important.
If your teacher predicts you an A, then you should be fine.
Reply 11
Just relieved this wasn't a: I got CDUU at AS but I want to apply to Russell Group because I can get predicted AAA and I deserve the place more than everyone who worked really hard and got AAAA at AS.
Reply 12

I would still ask them to predict an A because Warwick are asking for an A in History. Once you have an offer, even if you don't get that A you are in a better position on results day to try and argue your case. It will also give you incentive to work towards your goal when you have an offer.
You may not however get an offer at all if you do not have the predicted A.

Quick Reply

Latest