The Student Room Group

A2 Subjects Clash - Need help please

Everything is sorted now. Mods, feel free to delete this thread. Thanks for all your help, guys. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
You could always try teaching yourself biology in the free periods you'd have?
Reply 2
I don't know of any Psychology course which requires Psychology A-level.
Self study one? It's definitely do-able with biology, probably pshychology too. Or, switch colleges ... doing the right A levels is pretty important.
Reply 4
Original post by ApresAlkan
I don't know of any Psychology course which requires Psychology A-level.

I know but it's the only subject where I can relax in and know I'll do well. Plus it shows I have an interest in psychology.

Original post by joker12345
Self study one? It's definitely do-able with biology, probably pshychology too. Or, switch colleges ... doing the right A levels is pretty important.

Original post by bellatrixb
You could always try teaching yourself biology in the free periods you'd have?

I was considering self-teaching but I'm not sure if my college will allow it. Also will that mean I'm no longer a full-time student? I was considering switching colleges but my current one is in my town and the others would involve train/bus rides.
Reply 5
If you want to do Psychology then definitely pick Biology! Its a requirement for most BPS accredited Psychology courses.
Reply 6
i had a clash, get on your bike, agree with another school to do the course there!
Reply 7
Original post by olympic
i had a clash, get on your bike, agree with another school to do the course there!

This is a possibility but I've already done the AS for my subjects. Going to another school would mean having to start all over again.
Reply 8
Original post by Sparkliest
This is a possibility but I've already done the AS for my subjects. Going to another school would mean having to start all over again.

No it doesn't. You just pick the A2 up there at the other college. You just have to make sure it's the same exam board.

Also, are you sure there aren't other psychology classes? It's really silly for them to put them in the same block, a lot of people take psychology and biology because they can work together.
Or maybe ask your teacher if they could help you outside the classroom to help you?
Reply 9
Original post by lausa22
No it doesn't. You just pick the A2 up there at the other college. You just have to make sure it's the same exam board.

Also, are you sure there aren't other psychology classes? It's really silly for them to put them in the same block, a lot of people take psychology and biology because they can work together.
Or maybe ask your teacher if they could help you outside the classroom to help you?

None of the sixth forms near me offer human biology or psychology unfortunately. There is another psychology class but it clashes with chemistry. :frown:
Reply 10
Persuade your college to keep you on the register for both Psych and Bio. Then, convince them to let you self teach Bio in your frees, in a controlled environment (i.e., the school library or any study rooms). This should allow you to join in with the Bio class for any practicals you need to do/ISAs, maintain your 'full-time student' status and show the college that you are putting in the work.

It's ridiculous that the college is making you choose between the two tbh. Clearly you can't drop Psych if you're doing it at uni, and forcing you to drop your best subject at AS could seriously jeopardise your application. Good luck, whatever happens.

Edit: Alternatively, drop Chemistry and continue Physics. From what I heard last year (my A2 year) from friends, Chemistry was the hardest A2 of any in the college, so taking something like Physics might be an 'easier' option...?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Sparkliest
None of the sixth forms near me offer human biology or psychology unfortunately. There is another psychology class but it clashes with chemistry. :frown:

If you have the choice between Biology or Chemistry choose Biology. Psychology has a lot of Biology and Maths involved so you will need a sound grasp of biology. Psychology A level is not as important, as it is completely different at degree level.
I'd go for Biology and self teach your self Psychology if you must. Your college, if it's like mine will run worships in lunch and enrichment periods that help you where you're stuck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending