The Student Room Group

Best Universities for me (advice plz)

Hi, I applied to medicine last year but was unfortunate enough to receive all rejections. I'm determined that medicine is what I want to do so am taking a gap year and applying again in the 2013 round. My GCSE's weren't incredibly strong with 5A*'s 4A's and B but I've improved through A level and achieved A*A*AA in my A2's. I'm not sitting the BMAT but am sitting the UKCAT on thursday aiming for above 670 really. I feel I'd come across quite well at interview and have a good set of work experience. I just need to decide which medical schools to apply to. My preference lies with uni's like Kings and Nottingham and im not sure PBL is for me. So far I'm thinking Birmingham, Kings and Nottingham and was thinking maybe a less competitive one as a 4th even if it is PBL based. If anyone has any advice on where to apply or any reasons why not to apply to these in my situation then I'd be grateful for the tips!
Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by TheMylo77
Hi, I applied to medicine last year but was unfortunate enough to receive all rejections. I'm determined that medicine is what I want to do so am taking a gap year and applying again in the 2013 round. My GCSE's weren't incredibly strong with 5A*'s 4A's and B but I've improved through A level and achieved A*A*AA in my A2's. I'm not sitting the BMAT but am sitting the UKCAT on thursday aiming for above 670 really. I feel I'd come across quite well at interview and have a good set of work experience. I just need to decide which medical schools to apply to. My preference lies with uni's like Kings and Nottingham and im not sure PBL is for me. So far I'm thinking Birmingham, Kings and Nottingham and was thinking maybe a less competitive one as a 4th even if it is PBL based. If anyone has any advice on where to apply or any reasons why not to apply to these in my situation then I'd be grateful for the tips!
Cheers

I would consider Barts because your high UCAS tariff will most likely get you interviewed.
Reply 2
Cheers

they're really good results, so well done :smile:
You'd have a really good chance will KCL providing your ukcat is ~700+
Cambridge is also a good option for you :smile: providing your confident about bmat, just remember not to pin all your hopes onto multiple bmat unis, as your application is good so you wouldn't want to risk it incase something happened

good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by alt31
they're really good results, so well done :smile:
You'd have a really good chance will KCL providing your ukcat is ~700+
Cambridge is also a good option for you :smile: providing your confident about bmat, just remember not to pin all your hopes onto multiple bmat unis, as your application is good so you wouldn't want to risk it incase something happened

good luck!

Thank You, I did my UKCAT on thursday and got 757.5 so am maybe thinking about Sheffield. I'm not doing the BMAT so I'm not sure about Cambridge but I'm still definitely considering KCL now. Annoyingly I can't apply to Birmingham any more as I got an A in gcse english and they wanted an A*!!

fingers crossed I can get in somewhere next year! I'll have a look at Barts but I'm also thinking of St Geroge's now for a 4th :smile:
cheers
Reply 4
Thank You, I did my UKCAT on thursday and got 757.5 so am maybe thinking about Sheffield. I'm not doing the BMAT so I'm not sure about Cambridge but I'm still definitely considering KCL now. Annoyingly I can't apply to Birmingham any more as I got an A in gcse english and they wanted an A*!!

fingers crossed I can get in somewhere next year! I'll have a look at Barts but I'm also thinking of St Geroge's now for a 4th :smile:
cheers

Well I would eat my figurative hat if KCL didn't give you an interview with that :smile: I had 5A*s and 702.5, and i got a relatively early interview (December)
Yeah Sheffields a good option with that score, really impressive by the way! Would love to get that in a few weeks :yep:

good luck :biggrin:
Reply 5

cheers

That is a great score but it's not really going to make an advantageous application to Sheffield. They no longer use a high cut-off and everything above 600 is good enough for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending