The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Do Kings College London accept retakes?

I need to retake some modules from my A2 year, but i really want to apply and go to Kings in 2013, but am worried they will turn me down because i re-took things. :frown:

Has anyone any knowledge on this?

thanks x:smile:
Reply 1
I retook my AS year and worried if King's will offer me if I apply or not.. anyone know about this?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Evie463
I need to retake some modules from my A2 year, but i really want to apply and go to Kings in 2013, but am worried they will turn me down because i re-took things. :frown:

Have you called King's? Particularly, the department of the subject you want to take? An answer from them will be much better and accurate than an answer on here...probably.
Seems to be ok for most courses except law and medicine/dentistry.

I emailed them
Reply 4
You can have re-takes, and they will still consider you so long as you get the grades.

It's dependent on the course you're looking to do.
Reply 5
Original post by Evie463

Hey, I applied for law this year, but not at King's. I wanted to apply to King's for law but they wouldn't let me since I wished to retake my A2 exams. They said they'd only consider my application if my studies were disrupted because of a medical condition. Different departments may have a different policy though.
Reply 6
Original post by Cutmeloose
Seems to be ok for most courses except law and medicine/dentistry.

I emailed them

I may call the department appropriate, which department did you email?
Original post by AK0001
Hey, I applied for law this year, but not at King's. I wanted to apply to King's for law but they wouldn't let me since I wished to retake my A2 exams. They said they'd only consider my application if my studies were disrupted because of a medical condition. Different departments may have a different policy though.

Hey, saw that you got into Cambridge despite the retakes? where else did you apply? did they not mind the resits too much?
Reply 8
Hey, saw that you got into Cambridge despite the retakes? where else did you apply? did they not mind the resits too much?

I somehow managed to get in yes. I had non medical related issues that affected my studies that my teachers were aware of, and so my vice principal supplied the information in a separate form.

Not all colleges/subjects at Cambridge will interview resit students, I just happened to convince them that in my case, they should. Some background information: GCSEs: 6A*, 5A's and a B. Average AS ums: 92.5%, including 95% average in History and Economics. I applied for law.

When I contacted Oxford, all the colleges were fine with resits, they just reminded me that I will still have to achieve the minimum requirements.

Ended up applying to UCL, Exeter, Cambridge, Nottingham and LSE. Rejected by UCL and Nottingham because of low lnat score. Accepted by only Cambridge and Exeter.
Original post by AK0001
I somehow managed to get in yes. I had non medical related issues that affected my studies that my teachers were aware of, and so my vice principal supplied the information in a separate form.

Not all colleges/subjects at Cambridge will interview resit students, I just happened to convince them that in my case, they should. Some background information: GCSEs: 6A*, 5A's and a B. Average AS ums: 92.5%, including 95% average in History and Economics. I applied for law.

When I contacted Oxford, all the colleges were fine with resits, they just reminded me that I will still have to achieve the minimum requirements.

Ended up applying to UCL, Exeter, Cambridge, Nottingham and LSE. Rejected by UCL and Nottingham because of low lnat score. Accepted by only Cambridge and Exeter.

Thanks, I'm in a similar situation, don't think I will go for Oxbridge though, would be more than pleased with somewhere like Nottingham. Did you address your re-sit gap year plans in your PS? and did you write a completely new PS?

sorry for all the questions.
Reply 10
Thanks, I'm in a similar situation, don't think I will go for Oxbridge though, would be more than pleased with somewhere like Nottingham. Did you address your re-sit gap year plans in your PS? and did you write a completely new PS?

sorry for all the questions.

I'm happy to answer your questions :smile:.

If you're applying for law, you should get into Nottingham so long as you do average-good on the LNAT. I think the cut off point was 18/19 out of 42 this year. My friend got in with BCC at A2, he was reapplying, he got 19 on the LNAT and was made offers by Nottingham and Manchester.

Which subject are you applying for? These things will vary across different uni's/subjects.

Yeah I mentioned what I'll be doing in my gap year in my final paragraph. I completed a new PS since I applied for a new subject.
Original post by AK0001
I'm happy to answer your questions :smile:.

If you're applying for law, you should get into Nottingham so long as you do average-good on the LNAT. I think the cut off point was 18/19 out of 42 this year. My friend got in with BCC at A2, he was reapplying, he got 19 on the LNAT and was made offers by Nottingham and Manchester.

Which subject are you applying for? These things will vary across different uni's/subjects.

Yeah I mentioned what I'll be doing in my gap year in my final paragraph. I completed a new PS since I applied for a new subject.

I'm applying for Law! Thank you for your help!

Ah I'll do that then, my PS was pretty good last year got me 4/5 offers from the top 10, so I really don't want to change it completely!

I got AAB at A2 which wasn't too bad, but missed my offers, ok to PM you in future? :smile:
Reply 12
I'm applying for Law! Thank you for your help!

Ah I'll do that then, my PS was pretty good last year got me 4/5 offers from the top 10, so I really don't want to change it completely!

I got AAB at A2 which wasn't too bad, but missed my offers, ok to PM you in future? :smile:

Woop, I would have felt a little say if you hadn't been applying for law since I wrote about the LNAT scores ha.

AAB is good, hopefully you can take it up to A*AA+ this year, and well done on last years offers, hopefully it'll be good news this time round too :smile:.

PM me whenever bud.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Hi, I am hoping to apply for Dentistry in 2014. I was wondering if I still have a chance of being accepted even though i retook my AS year. I retook this year due to non medical related isssues that interfered with my studies. Will this affect my application? If so, would these issues need to be disclosed in my reference? Also, although i will have taken 3 years to complete my A levels, if i have predicted grades of say, AAA, do I even have a chance of being accepted?

I've heard of people getting into Dentistry after retaking a year, but that was due to medical issues, but i dont know if i should even bother applying because i dont think I'm gonna get accepted If i cant get accepted for dentistry is there any other way of getting in? i.e transferring?

Thanks so much for any help, its greatly appreciated.
Reply 14
Original post by Kardy
I retook my AS year and worried if King's will offer me if I apply or not.. anyone know about this?

Did u get an offer?
Hey guys, so the thing is I got BBBB in my A Levels. One of the subjects is AS.My O Level grades are 1A* 2A 6B 1C Anyway, I'm an international student and I want to study in UK.My chosen course is LAW LLB. And if I'm gonna go abroad and pay lots of money, then I might as well go to an amazing uni, like King's, LSE, UCL, Manchester or Warwick.
I believe I have two options:
1) I could give retakes. I had food poisoning and my grandmother died. I believe these circumstances affected my performance. But I'm scared that even after these circumstances, the above uni's will reject me
2) I could go to a University of London external programme in my home city. Then I could transfer to a uni in UK.Please note that these are the uni's I'm considering for transfer: Cardiff, Bristol, Edinburgh, Queen Mary. Anyway, for this I'm scared that they'll reject me because of my bad A level grades. But what if I get amazing scores in my first year of uni, do you think they'll ignore that?

Please help me, I'm really confused. On one hand I wan to go to an amazing uni. On the other, I doont really want to go through the hard process of giving exams again!!
I did a retake in Maths AS and they gave me an unconditional offer for Adult Nursing

Quick Reply

Latest