The Student Room Group

Realistically speaking, what (good) universities do I have a chance with?

asdasdsd
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Leicester
LMU
Not Cambridge, don't listen to those people, you should be good for Swansea Metropolitan, London South Bank and Oxford though
:sigh: nobody can tell, entry requirements are based on a-level results, they only tend to use gcse for borderline cases. And not everyone does the same at alvl as they did at gcse. If you were the kind of person that got those grades with minimal effort, you will seriously struggle at alvl.
These posts are so annoying. You could get in anywhere with those grades. I'm going to UCL with only AABBBBBCCD at GCSE.
Original post by marcus2001
Not Cambridge, don't listen to those people, you should be good for Swansea Metropolitan, London South Bank and Oxford though

lmao
Original post by Junaid96

Spoiler

O_O
To be honest, I was expected to get about 3 more A*s but it's my fault that I procrastinated and pulled all nighters...
Original post by Clare~Bear
:sigh: nobody can tell, entry requirements are based on a-level results, they only tend to use gcse for borderline cases. And not everyone does the same at alvl as they did at gcse. If you were the kind of person that got those grades with minimal effort, you will seriously struggle at alvl.

Don't you mean maximum effort?...

Of course, but GCSE does have a part to play, right?

haha

Original post by yl95
O_O
To be honest, I was expected to get about 3 more A*s but it's my fault that I procrastinated and pulled all nighters...

no worries. Good thing is you got straight A*/A. Don't apply to Oxford as they place much more weight on GCSEs - work solidly this year, get high UMS % (Cambridge love high UMS marks, almost require them) and then apply for Cambridge with just as good a chance as everyone else.
Original post by yl95
4A* and 6A at GCSE
And working my ass off in AS to get high UMS hopefully...

It depends on who you are?

Do you want to be in a campus uni? Rural uni? City based-uni?
Do you want to be near/away from home?!

The only way you can find out is going and visiting uni's! Only then when you know what one is the right university for you :smile:
Original post by Coca-Cola Kid
It depends on who you are?

Do you want to be in a campus uni? Rural uni? City based-uni?
Do you want to be near/away from home?!

The only way you can find out is going and visiting uni's! Only then when you know what one is the right university for you :smile:

Preferably London unis or Oxbridge
haha

no worries. Good thing is you got straight A*/A. Don't apply to Oxford as they place much more weight on GCSEs - work solidly this year, get high UMS % (Cambridge love high UMS marks, almost require them) and then apply for Cambridge with just as good a chance as everyone else.

Isn't the average number of A*s for Cambridge applicants around 7? And do you mean around 95+ UMS by 'high', right? Also, I'm going to do some sort of science or maths degree, for example, NatSci/Maths, at university but I didn't get A* in Bio + Physics (the latter of which I'm not doing for A Level) , unexpectedly. I'm pretty sure that would hinder my chances?
You should reword this thread to - please que up to tell me how special i am
Original post by yl95
Isn't the average number of A*s for Cambridge applicants around 7? And do you mean around 95+ UMS by 'high', right? Also, I'm going to do some sort of science or maths degree, for example, NatSci/Maths, at university but I didn't get A* in Bio + Physics (the latter of which I'm not doing for A Level) , unexpectedly. I'm pretty sure that would hinder my chances?

So what about the A*s? The average successful applicant has about 7-8, but that's just a correlation between number of A*s and likeliness to do well at AS-level. Yeah I mean at least 93+ averages - aim for high scores like 95-100%. Do as well as you can, it'll make a lot of difference. If you get high % at AS in those subjects they won't care about your GCSE, because they assume (rightly so) that you've improved if you can get 95% later in a tougher exam.
Original post by yl95

Are you doing maths and further maths?

Honestly no one can tell you. Potentially you can get into anywhere with those, in the end wait for AS results before you ask this question, other wise it's impossible to judge.
Original post by AverageExcellence
You should reword this thread to - please que up to tell me how special i am

I wasn't even posting for attention...I understand that it might come across like that, but I genuinely wanted to know.
Original post by TheIrrational
Are you doing maths and further maths?

Honestly no one can tell you. Potentially you can get into anywhere with those, in the end wait for AS results before you ask this question, other wise it's impossible to judge.

Yes, I am.
Thank you by the way.
So what about the A*s? The average successful applicant has about 7-8, but that's just a correlation between number of A*s and likeliness to do well at AS-level. Yeah I mean at least 93+ averages - aim for high scores like 95-100%. Do as well as you can, it'll make a lot of difference. If you get high % at AS in those subjects they won't care about your GCSE, because they assume (rightly so) that you've improved if you can get 95% later in a tougher exam.

Thanks for the advice. It really helps.

Afraid this is the only reasonable post in the thread Op :/

Quick Reply