The Student Room Group

Family bereavement, lower AS results, help?

I want to do medicine.
My father passed away in January, obviously effecting my grades - I got ABBA this year (targeted AAAA).
Going into year13 tomorrow, and i'm planning to get A*AA/AAA this year. But because of all the **** that's happened last year it's going to be so much harder now (i'll need 260/300 rather than 240/300 UMS in 2 of my subjects).

So what do you guys advise?
Retaking AS exams, even though this is frowned upon?
Or inform the universities about this and hope to get in even with say AAB? (how would i do this)
or both? :frown: really don't want to be put at a disadvantage because of this
Your referee should mention in your reference what happened and universities will give you special consideration.they might not give you an easier offer, but they will certainly not look down on your AS Levels. So I would just go for it, retake a couple of exams, and move them up to an A.
Reply 2
Original post by l2ob
I want to do medicine.
My father passed away in January, obviously effecting my grades - I got ABBA this year (targeted AAAA).
Going into year13 tomorrow, and i'm planning to get A*AA/AAA this year. But because of all the **** that's happened last year it's going to be so much harder now (i'll need 260/300 rather than 240/300 UMS in 2 of my subjects).

So what do you guys advise?
Retaking AS exams, even though this is frowned upon?
Or inform the universities about this and hope to get in even with say AAB? (how would i do this)
or both? :frown: really don't want to be put at a disadvantage because of this

I only got AABB when I did my AS exams. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure that the unis won't even know if you are retaking exams or have retaken, as long as your A levels are done in two years. I retook loads of exams and managed to come out with AAA so I'm sure you will do a lot better then me seeing as you had a serious reason that would affect your performance.
Retaking exams is only frowned upon after the 2 years, during those 2 years, it's fine.

You're likely to be predicted AAA or higher anyway because of your extenuating circumstances so I would avoid worrying about this, you have other thing to worry about which are much more important.

And your school will include this in your reference so uni's will take this into account when looking at AS results.
Reply 4
Original post by ashl3ighxo
I'm sorry for your loss, my brother died three years ago and it still screws me up every year seeing as I almost always have at least one exam on his birthday or the day he died, I emailed the university I wanted to go to telling them what happened and they've accepted me even though I didn't exactly meet the grades they wanted. Chances are, they'll understand what you're going through and (most) will take it into consideration when they receive your results, just email them and explain your situation. I didn't think I had any chance of getting in either, and you got far better results than me :').

thank you very much for the advice, and I too am sorry for your loss,
what course did you get into and where if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 5
Original post by Helloworld_95
Retaking exams is only frowned upon after the 2 years, during those 2 years, it's fine.

You're likely to be predicted AAA or higher anyway because of your extenuating circumstances so I would avoid worrying about this, you have other thing to worry about which are much more important.

And your school will include this in your reference so uni's will take this into account when looking at AS results.

thanks. I may consider retaking then, unless I'm able to pull my grades up with A2 exams alone.
Reply 6
Original post by l2ob
thank you very much for the advice, and I too am sorry for your loss,
what course did you get into and where if you don't mind me asking?

Nah I don't mind, Applied Criminology at Derby, I'm not sure what it's like as a uni for medicine though.
Reply 7
Nah I don't mind, Applied Criminology at Derby, I'm not sure what it's like as a uni for medicine though.

cheers, hopefully they'll be just as understanding, don't see why not.
Reply 8
I bet they will, good luck anyway, hope you get what you want :smile:
Reply 9
I bet they will, good luck anyway, hope you get what you want :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending