The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

How much money will I need before I get my student loan?

I'm a bit worried because with all the costs of the deposit and college membership I will only have around £30 left for when I get to Uni. I just wanted to know if this would be enough until my student loan comes through a few days after I get there

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Depends on when registration is. Student finance comes about 3 days after registration. If you spend a tenner on lots of pasta and chopped tomatoes, you should have enough food + £20 quid for nights out
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
I've been wondering the same - after accom deposit, college membership, purple card, bedding pack and everything I need to take to Uni with me I will be pretty much broke until the student loan comes in.

I'm in the process of changing my current account to a student account so I can have the free overdraft, hoping this will hold me over until I receive the student loan.

Anyone know how much I'm likely to spend throughout freshers week?
Reply 3
Original post by jordan645
I've been wondering the same - after accom deposit, college membership, purple card, bedding pack and everything I need to take to Uni with me I will be pretty much broke until the student loan comes in.

I'm in the process of changing my current account to a student account so I can have the free overdraft, hoping this will hold me over until I receive the student loan.

Anyone know how much I'm likely to spend throughout freshers week?

How much is the purple card? Do we have to have one or is it an option, and I might have a look at changing to a student account. I think I'm going to sell a few of my things aswell.

Reply 4
Original post by ccfcadam36
How much is the purple card? Do we have to have one or is it an option, and I might have a look at changing to a student account. I think I'm going to sell a few of my things aswell.

It's £12.50 I think for 1 year and £40 for 4 years - that's not 100% though

From reading the forums and listening to current Lancaster students, it's not completely necessary as you don't have to show it very much. However the student union seem to recommend it as it's used for getting into the sugar house and other Lancaster student only venues.

I'm not entirely convinced and haven't bought it yet
Original post by ccfcadam36
How much is the purple card? Do we have to have one or is it an option.

Original post by jordan645
It's £12.50 I think for 1 year and £40 for 4 years - that's not 100% though

I'm not entirely convinced and haven't bought it yet

The purple card is optional but you need it to join societies and get into certain clubs which are just for Lancaster students so it's recommended. I ordered mine the other day and it's £12.50 for 1 year or £30 for 3 years or £40 for four years. I've already been using it to prove I'm a student in shops for student discount even though we don't have our actual student cards yet :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by buttercup94
I've already been using it to prove I'm a student in shops for student discount even though we don't have our actual student cards yet :smile:

O.o

I thought that purple is the actual student card, it also has a NUS sign on it.
What is the actual student card then? And how do I get it?
Original post by kiradotee
O.o

I thought that purple is the actual student card, it also has a NUS sign on it.
What is the actual student card then? And how do I get it?

No, it's not. A student card is free basically like a library card that says your a student and everyone gets one. You get student discount without a purple card it's just that you can only get a purple card if you're a Lancs student so it proves your a student if you get me?? I think when you register on the moving in day they take a picture of you and print it out then!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending