The Student Room Group

TEFL support thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hello,

Has anyone had any experience with TEFL Heaven (Experience Teaching Abroad Ltd)? I am hoping to go on an internship with them to Thailand this September.

Original post by kateemma
Hello,

Has anyone had any experience with TEFL Heaven (Experience Teaching Abroad Ltd)? I am hoping to go on an internship with them to Thailand this September.

hey how much did that cost:?

did you get paid over there:?
Reply 42
Original post by trustmeimlying1
hey how much did that cost:?

did you get paid over there:?

The fee is £995 plus some other visa costs. And yes you get paid 25,000 THB (Thail Bhat) a month which is more than enough to live off out there. Just google tefl heaven :smile:
The fee is £995 plus some other visa costs. And yes you get paid 25,000 THB (Thail Bhat) a month which is more than enough to live off out there. Just google tefl heaven :smile:

il be in touch if yeh dont mind as it sounds great and id like to have a wee chat bout it if yeh didnt mind
Reply 44
Island Tefl is the most fraudulent company I've ever come across (and I live in Thailand). The main guy, Phil, doesn't do any of the work but instead uses a free teaching agency and you pay Phil to essentially hook you up with them when you can do this yourself FREE. Phil is a poor business man, he was consistently rude and undelivered on every request I made, all due to his sheer laziness. Sister companies include Invasion and Thaijobs.co.uk, I would avoid these too, they're all set up to make a boat load of money from vulnerable and eager travelers.
Reply 45
Hi, I've signed up to start the 120 TEFL combi course next weekend. Not sure where I really want to go yet, probably going to save up a little first and go in January.

Where do you guys think is the best paid?
Reply 46
Hi there,
So I've already done my TEFL certificate with I-to-I (best choice at the time). I did the 120 hours online as it was easier for me as I didn't have to travel and it was cost effective - though probably not a good reason to have chosen the course. But it was a good course and I managed to finish it during my second year :smile:
I'm hoping to do a internship with I-to-I in China as these give you more support (supposedly) and an extra 20 hours with classroom teaching, which I would like to do.
No idea when I'm going to teach abroad though cause I'm not a very confident public speaker, so yeah.
Original post by Zogian
Hi there,
So I've already done my TEFL certificate with I-to-I (best choice at the time). I did the 120 hours online as it was easier for me as I didn't have to travel and it was cost effective - though probably not a good reason to have chosen the course. But it was a good course and I managed to finish it during my second year :smile:
I'm hoping to do a internship with I-to-I in China as these give you more support (supposedly) and an extra 20 hours with classroom teaching, which I would like to do.
No idea when I'm going to teach abroad though cause I'm not a very confident public speaker, so yeah.

This sounds very interesting and exciting. I'm just about to start my last year at university and I'm considering something like this afterwards.

What was the cost of the course? And did you get good support from i-to-i online?

What I'm wondering is, if they help you once you are out in say China, or do they just hang you out to dry? I'd like to have a contact back in England who is connected to the school if I went out there.
I've just completed a month intensive CELTA course at International House London and really really enjoyed it, totally worth the money if anyone is thinking of dong TEFL abroad! Now hoping to use it to teach in Spain or Italy for a couple of months. :smile:
So I know everyone says to avoid Online courses. But what if it's combined?
http://www.tefl.org.uk/courses/tefl-courses-and-fees/130-hour-tefl-course/

This is the breakdown of the 130 hour option:

30-hour Weekday TEFL Course
Learn to plan, prepare and deliver TEFL lessons with lots of fun hands-on activities. Fast-paced, engaging and friendly, you'll spend Monday to Wednesday learning by doing, not by writing!
50-hour Online TEFL Course
Learn about classroom management, teaching styles and advanced TEFL methodology. Study with a personal tutor and meet fellow students on our course forums. Includes mini-modules on business English, young learners and teaching English one-to-one.
30-hour Online Grammar Course
Don't know your second conditional from your modal verbs? This course will teach you all the terminology and rules of English grammar you need to step into a TEFL classroom.
20-hour Online Video Course
Observe real TEFL lessons to see what works (and doesn't) in the classroom! Work with a personal tutor to improve your own lesson plans based on the activities you see in action.
- See more at: http://www.tefl.org.uk/courses/tefl-courses-and-fees/130-hour-tefl-course/#sthash.bRU5S2Ww.dpuf

Is that ok? It's £369. I cant afford £1000 at all. But I dont want to waste almost £400 on something that will be useless... I just want to teach in Europe, not really in classrooms but more language exchange. I teach you and your kids English in exchange for accommodation, food and you teaching me your language. I have an A level in English and First Aid as well.
Not confident enough for classroom teaching right now, but hopefully by the end of my Access course and all the presentations I have to do, I will be...then who knows. Want to leave my options open. But mainly want to do a TEFL cos the love of my life is moving back home, and the only way I can be with him (plus fulfilling my lifelong dream of travelling) is to go with him, and a TEFL course seems the best bet for jobs and work out there in Europe.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by LoreleiLeigh
So I know everyone says to avoid Online courses. But what if it's combined?
http://www.tefl.org.uk/courses/tefl-courses-and-fees/130-hour-tefl-course/

This is the breakdown of the 130 hour option:

30-hour Weekday TEFL Course
Learn to plan, prepare and deliver TEFL lessons with lots of fun hands-on activities. Fast-paced, engaging and friendly, you'll spend Monday to Wednesday learning by doing, not by writing!
50-hour Online TEFL Course
Learn about classroom management, teaching styles and advanced TEFL methodology. Study with a personal tutor and meet fellow students on our course forums. Includes mini-modules on business English, young learners and teaching English one-to-one.
30-hour Online Grammar Course
Don't know your second conditional from your modal verbs? This course will teach you all the terminology and rules of English grammar you need to step into a TEFL classroom.
20-hour Online Video Course
Observe real TEFL lessons to see what works (and doesn't) in the classroom! Work with a personal tutor to improve your own lesson plans based on the activities you see in action.
- See more at: http://www.tefl.org.uk/courses/tefl-courses-and-fees/130-hour-tefl-course/#sthash.bRU5S2Ww.dpuf

Is that ok? It's £369. I cant afford £1000 at all. But I dont want to waste almost £400 on something that will be useless... I just want to teach in Europe, not really in classrooms but more language exchange. I teach you and your kids English in exchange for accommodation, food and you teaching me your language. I have an A level in English and First Aid as well.
Not confident enough for classroom teaching right now, but hopefully by the end of my Access course and all the presentations I have to do, I will be...then who knows. Want to leave my options open. But mainly want to do a TEFL cos the love of my life is moving back home, and the only way I can be with him (plus fulfilling my lifelong dream of travelling) is to go with him, and a TEFL course seems the best bet for jobs and work out there in Europe.

If you don't want to teach in a classroom and you just want to teach private lessons or do an exchange, I think the course would be sufficient.

The only thing is that you want to go into teaching in schools after that, if I understand correctly? In that case, a CELTA would be better but hopefully you can save some money before then. Do you have a degree?
Reply 51
Hi,
I'm looking at doing a TEFL internship with the organisation LoveTEFL. Has anyone had any experience with them and can confirm they are legit? All the reviews are so positive it almost seems too good to be true!

You should check out ThaiJobs, they pay up to 36,000 in Thailand. Best of luck with it all x:colondollar:
Original post by sjemm
Hi,
I'm looking at doing a TEFL internship with the organisation LoveTEFL. Has anyone had any experience with them and can confirm they are legit? All the reviews are so positive it almost seems too good to be true!

ThaiJobs are cheaper and we believe they offer a higher salary. Check them out www.ThaiJobs.co.uk x :smile:
Original post by Eboracum
This sounds very interesting and exciting. I'm just about to start my last year at university and I'm considering something like this afterwards.

What was the cost of the course? And did you get good support from i-to-i online?

What I'm wondering is, if they help you once you are out in say China, or do they just hang you out to dry? I'd like to have a contact back in England who is connected to the school if I went out there.

if you are considering i-to-i you should check out www.ThaiJobs.co.uk we believe that they can also offer some stuff in China? x :smile:
Reply 55
If anyone is looking to try a TEFL career in China in Sept 2015, I could possibly help find a job :smile:
hey im doing my tefl course with tefl academy but im not sure if its a scam or not. Its 120 hours that includes 20 hours in class and 100 hours online.
Reply 57
Original post by faiizbrown
hey im doing my tefl course with tefl academy but im not sure if its a scam or not. Its 120 hours that includes 20 hours in class and 100 hours online.

Not sure it would be but my relative done a 150hr course from Groupon and she's now been teaching in Saudi for almost a year. I think that offers expired but I know there's one with amazon local - just google and it should pop up. Costs like £29 - wa a away cheaper than these £300-700 courses that bust the bank.
Reply 58
Just to put it out there, Smaller Earth (smallerearth.com) offer a really cool TEFL program in Prague for anyone that would want to explore more of Europe instead of places like Asia. The program lasts 4 weeks and has the support to lead to full time employment as an English teacher in Prague or elsewhere in Europe. Check it out!
Is it possible for me to become qualified and find a TEFL placement before I return to University in September 2016? From what I can see from the TEFL Jobs center, most positions are 9 months and begin in the Autumn. I would be interested in taking a much shorter placement since the qualification itself takes about 3 months to complete. Could someone tell me if this is a realistic expectation? The TEFL service are understandably reluctant to give me any definitive "yes" or "no" answers.

Quick Reply

Latest