The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amojamo
A friend of mine got four As at AS, predicted 3A*s and 1 A for A2, didn't get in to do medicine. D:

Many don't.

I know someone with AAAAA at AS who didn't get into medicine.

There are so many very good candidates with very good A-Levels who don't get in. My friend was told that the people who interviewed him did not believe he had a very good personality for medicine. Quite how that works, I'm not sure but I'm sure they had reason to believe so.

A-Levels are only a part of the process, there's UKCAT, interview, experience. It's mind-boggling really but that's just how it is.
Original post by Bazingaa
My UKCAT score was 2650 ish I think. I'm trying to set up a shadowing placement at the moment but don't seem to be getting much luck with it!

Sheffield and Newcastle might be pushing it then, they usually need a bit higher than that, definitely in the 2700's at least.

Shadowing is really the most important thing at this point, it's a necessity. If you can't get some by the application deadline and then reflect on your experience in your PS then it'll be much tougher to get a place if you can at all.

I'd say it's worth applying, but be prepared to take a gap year.
Reply 22
My UKCAT score was 2650 ish I think. I'm trying to set up a shadowing placement at the moment but don't seem to be getting much luck with it!

That would be fine for most medical schools including Sheffield.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Sheffield and Newcastle might be pushing it then, they usually need a bit higher than that, definitely in the 2700's at least.

Shadowing is really the most important thing at this point, it's a necessity. If you can't get some by the application deadline and then reflect on your experience in your PS then it'll be much tougher to get a place if you can at all.

Sheffield no longer require a ridiculously high cut-off, anything above 600 is sufficient. Also shadowing is not a necessity, many applicants are unable to secure such placements and still manage to get in just fine.
Reply 23
Can u hide your AS grades from the medical iniversities and just provide them with your predicted grades????
Reply 24
Original post by Mike13
Can u hide your AS grades from the medical iniversities and just provide them with your predicted grades????

Nope. Unless you are at a private school, you must declare all your AS grades.
Reply 25
ahh new thread!! :')
Reply 26
Hey guys need some realistic advice here,

Like the other 1,000s of people Im really devoted to reading medicine at uni but Im really worried I wont stand a chance due to the fact I got a C in AS chemistry despite getting A*AAAC overall with the A* on a medical related extended project. My GCSE's are pretty good as I got 6A*s and 4As and despite the C I still think my chemistry teacher will predict me an A as I can get it. In regards to the UKCAT Im just about to take it but my main questions are again:

1. Do I stand a chance of getting a place?
2. If you excell at interview stage would Universities be more understanding that chemistry isnt your strongest subject and make you an offer of A*AB instead? With the B being in chemistry ?

And if it helps Im looking to apply at Nottingham,Bristol, St.George's and maybe Manchester as well

cheers
Reply 27
Could someone please help me chose a few university's to apply for based on my strengths and weaknesses?

GCSE: 4A* 2A 4B 2C
AS: 4A (chemistry, Biology, history, sociology)
Predicted grades: A*AA (sociology, chemistry, biology. In that order)
UKCAT: sitting on the 11th, looking fr around 680 average.

Could someone please give me a list of realistic medical schools I can apply to and maybe get an offer from? Thanks in advance x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Your grades are fine> Get the right predicted grades which most uni's look at and just be wary of where you apply. Southampton for example only require a ukcat of 2500 so there are definitely places that would be happy to take you :smile:

Original post by Helloworld_95

I totally disagree. Shadowing isn't the most important thing at all as long as you learn from your experiences. I didn't mention my shadowing at all in my ps/interviews and I know a lot of people don't. It's a hard thing to get hold of.
Original post by Harri95
Could someone please help me chose a few university's to apply for based on my strengths and weaknesses?

GCSE: 4A* 2A 4B 2C
AS: 4A (chemistry, Biology, history, sociology)
Predicted grades: A*AA (sociology, chemistry, biology. In that order)
UKCAT: sitting on the 11th, looking fr around 680 average.

Could someone please give me a list of realistic medical schools I can apply to and maybe get an offer from? Thanks in advance x

You've got quite a good selection with your results. Southampton would take you :smile:

Original post by xHJCx
Hey guys need some realistic advice here,

Like the other 1,000s of people Im really devoted to reading medicine at uni but Im really worried I wont stand a chance due to the fact I got a C in AS chemistry despite getting A*AAAC overall with the A* on a medical related extended project. My GCSE's are pretty good as I got 6A*s and 4As and despite the C I still think my chemistry teacher will predict me an A as I can get it. In regards to the UKCAT Im just about to take it but my main questions are again:

1. Do I stand a chance of getting a place?
2. If you excell at interview stage would Universities be more understanding that chemistry isnt your strongest subject and make you an offer of A*AB instead? With the B being in chemistry ?

And if it helps Im looking to apply at Nottingham,Bristol, St.George's and maybe Manchester as well

cheers

1. Yes, absolutely. Not everywhere considered AS results.
2. Not likely unless you're applying to Keele/BSMS who still accept A*AB A*A*C grades :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by BethaneyJ
You've got quite a good selection with your results. Southampton would take you :smile:

2. Not likely unless you're applying to Keele/BSMS who still accept A*AB A*A*C grades :smile:

Where would you suggest applying ?
Reply 31
Original post by BethaneyJ

Not too keen on Southampton considering my friend who applied this year didn't get an offer with 8A* at GCSE! Any other uni's that my application will be competitive?

Original post by Harri95
Not too keen on Southampton considering my friend who applied this year didn't get an offer with 8A* at GCSE! Any other uni's that my application will be competitive?

That's because Southampton only look that you meet the minimum requirements and want you to be a developed person beyond just grades. It's an amazing uni and I love it. If that's the only reason you don't want to apply then :frown: but if you have other reasons, cool.

Also, Southampton don't interview which some people love/hate :smile:

Take a look at uni entry requirements and see what they need and if you fit. Simples :smile:
Original post by xHJCx
Where would you suggest applying ?

If you're after the B offer for Chem, BSMS/Keele. Otherwise you've got a lot of options. Southampton (AAA Inc chem OR AAA incl chem + bio at A grade at AS level) is an option :smile: UKCAT has to be 2500+
Reply 34
hi guys i hope you are well
I recently recieved my gcse results and got the following: 8A*s and 1 B- in IGCSE english language- 6 of them were IGCSE, in which i got 5A*S, and the b in lang.
I am trying my hardest to get good grades in my AS this year- taking maths, bio chem and econ this year.
Couldi get into cambirgde ig i get all As at AS and al A*S at A2?
I just finished my A-levels and got AAAB but the B was in chemistry (I've got AAAA at AS). I know my options haven't shut although they are severely limited but I can apply to Cardiff and UEA as their entry requirements are pretty clear (Don't need chem if you do biology/maths and get an A). But I was looking at the newcastle one and bearing in mind that my ukcat reaches their threshold, would I get an interview? Quite a few others have similar requirements:

Chemistry and/or biology at A or AS level. If only one of Chemistry/Biology is offered at AS/A2, the other should be offered at grade A in GCSE (Dual Science is also acceptable).

That's what the newcastle entry requirements are but I still can't deduce whether i qualify or not haha!

Any Help would be appreciated a lot, thank you!
Original post by manunited1993
I just finished my A-levels and got AAAB but the B was in chemistry (I've got AAAA at AS). I know my options haven't shut although they are severely limited but I can apply to Cardiff and UEA as their entry requirements are pretty clear (Don't need chem if you do biology/maths and get an A). But I was looking at the newcastle one and bearing in mind that my ukcat reaches their threshold, would I get an interview? Quite a few others have similar requirements:

Chemistry and/or biology at A or AS level. If only one of Chemistry/Biology is offered at AS/A2, the other should be offered at grade A in GCSE (Dual Science is also acceptable).

That's what the newcastle entry requirements are but I still can't deduce whether i qualify or not haha!

Any Help would be appreciated a lot, thank you!

I think it means:

Flow chart:

Q1. Do you have chemistry and biology at a level at a grade A?
Yes - Apply.
No - Move to q.2

Q2. If you have chemistry to A2 do you have biology at grade A at GCSE?
Yes - Apply.
No - Move to q3

Q3. If you have biology to A2 do you have chemistry at grade A at GCSE?
Yes - Apply.
No - Sorry :frown:
GCSEs: 2A*, 3A, 3B, 3C
A-levels: Chem-A, Bio-A*, Maths-A, Phys(AS)-A

My current two choices for Uni are Imperial and Peninsula, would I have a chance at these?

Also, I did 3 days work exp. at southampton hospital last year, am in the process of 2 weeks lab work at Imperial and have 6 weeks research exp. lined up at bournemouth hospital. I may also start volunteer at a care home in the next couple weeks. Is that enough work exp. even though I lack any volunteering until now?
ARE 3 A-LEVELS OK FOR MEDICINE?? PLEASE HELP ADVICE AND REVISION TIPS NEEDED!

Hi Guys, ok so I've just started 6th form and my GCSE's were not the best (at all!!) I got 4 A's (maths, french, core science, ICT) 5B's (ad science, ICT, RE, geography and Eng lang) and 1D (Eng lit) :frown: I really want to study medicine at uni and yesterday on my 1st day I signed up for maths and french, however I was told by the biology and chemistry teachers (as soon as they saw my D in Eng. lit) that the subject might not be for me!!!!:eek: so they told me to come in today to find out whether they would allow me to take the class ( long story short) today I was signing up for Biology and chemistry and the BIOLOGY teacher told me she wouldn't let me/ doesn't think i should do the course If i took all 4 a-levels(french, maths, biology and chemistry) and so she wants me to drop biology and take something else like psychology or take 3 a-levels( which would be biology, chemistry and maths) because she thinks i will struggle to cope. After speaking to the biology teacher I went to sign up for chemistry and the CHEMISTRY teacher told me she would take me on but literally said " YOU CANT DO MEDICINE, YOU WONT GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL, LOOK INTO SOMETHING OTHER THAN MEDICINE :eek::eek::eek::angry::frown::mad: Then i decided i would take just 3 a-levels (biology, chemistry and maths) this way there'd be less stress and slightly easier for me to handle.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!! I NEED TO KNOW WHETHER 3 A-LEVELS AT A-LEVEL IS STILL OK TO GET INTO A GOOD UNI AND STUDY MEDICINE. and also whether it is still possible to get into a good medical school(preferably kings, since I recognise cambridge is rather far-fetched)

*******I START MY LESSONS NEXT WEEK SO I HOPE TO MAKE A DECISION BY THE END OF THE WEEK THANKS :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by amazingrace
ARE 3 A-LEVELS OK FOR MEDICINE?? PLEASE HELP ADVICE AND REVISION TIPS NEEDED!

Hi Guys, ok so I've just started 6th form and my GCSE's were not the best (at all!!) I got 4 A's (maths, french, core science, ICT) 5B's (ad science, ICT, RE, geography and Eng lang) and 1D (Eng lit) :frown: I really want to study medicine at uni and yesterday on my 1st day I signed up for maths and french, however I was told by the biology and chemistry teachers (as soon as they saw my D in Eng. lit) that the subject might not be for me!!!!:eek: so they told me to come in today to find out whether they would allow me to take the class ( long story short) today I was signing up for Biology and chemistry and the BIOLOGY teacher told me she wouldn't let me/ doesn't think i should do the course If i took all 4 a-levels(french, maths, biology and chemistry) and so she wants me to drop biology and take something else like psychology or take 3 a-levels( which would be biology, chemistry and maths) because she thinks i will struggle to cope. After speaking to the biology teacher I went to sign up for chemistry and the CHEMISTRY teacher told me she would take me on but literally said " YOU CANT DO MEDICINE, YOU WONT GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL, LOOK INTO SOMETHING OTHER THAN MEDICINE :eek::eek::eek::angry::frown::mad: Then i decided i would take just 3 a-levels (biology, chemistry and maths) this way there'd be less stress and slightly easier for me to handle.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!! I NEED TO KNOW WHETHER 3 A-LEVELS AT A-LEVEL IS STILL OK TO GET INTO A GOOD UNI AND STUDY MEDICINE. and also whether it is still possible to get into a good medical school(preferably kings, since I recognise cambridge is rather far-fetched)

*******I START MY LESSONS NEXT WEEK SO I HOPE TO MAKE A DECISION BY THE END OF THE WEEK THANKS :biggrin:

Firstly three A levels are sufficient for pretty much all medical schools. However, if you are referring to three AS levels then you will run into difficulty as most medical schools need four subjects to be taken at AS.
It's also important to understand that ALL MEDICAL SCHOOLS ARE GOOD UNIS. Unfortunately with your GCSEs Kings is extremely far fetched. You can still make it into medicine but you really need to try and persuade your teachers to let you take four subjects at AS level.

Latest

Trending

Trending