The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BethaneyJ
I think it means:

Flow chart:

Q1. Do you have chemistry and biology at a level at a grade A?
Yes - Apply.
No - Move to q.2

Q2. If you have chemistry to A2 do you have biology at grade A at GCSE?
Yes - Apply.
No - Move to q3

Q3. If you have biology to A2 do you have chemistry at grade A at GCSE?
Yes - Apply.
No - Sorry :frown:

ok thank you! phew i have q3, i've got A's in Biology, Maths and Philosophy and Ethics. And a B in Chemistry but i do have it to A at gcse. Do you recommend applying if my ukcat is above 680?
Reply 41
Original post by fringe111
Hey guys, I'm really gutted about results this year :s-smilie:

GCSEs: 9a*s, a
AS:
bio- a
chem- b
physics - b
and maths a-level - A

Still haven't done my UKCAT
Do you think I stand a chance of medicine? If I do, please advise me on places I could apply to?

Thanks

Yes you do. Your GCSEs are great, and many medical schools place a heavier emphasis on A2 predictions than AS results. I suggest that you focus on taking the UKCAT exam first, before looking into which universities to apply to, as the UKCAT plays a big part in the application process in most universities.

:smile:
Reply 42
So I've done my UKCAT. Completely failed and bombed the test. I got 562.5 as an average which means 2250 in total.
I have 5A*s 4As and 2Bs for my GCSEs and 4As for my AS Levels.
I've bad in most of my stuff. I don't know which universities I should go to. The terrible UKCAT score pretty much would deem me to not go anywhere good anyways.
Reply 43
Original post by Deathliga
So I've done my UKCAT. Completely failed and bombed the test. I got 562.5 as an average which means 2250 in total.
I have 5A*s 4As and 2Bs for my GCSEs and 4As for my AS Levels.
I've bad in most of my stuff. I don't know which universities I should go to. The terrible UKCAT score pretty much would deem me to not go anywhere good anyways.

Really!? So you've managed to differentiate between all the medical schools and decide that some aren't really up to you high expectations? what did you use, league tables?
How about you do some research. You'll be surprised to find that some medical schools don't in fact look at UKCAT scores.
Original post by myyrh

prsom :colone: :colone:
Reply 45
4.5A*s 6A's - GCSE

BBB - AS LEVELS

680 average UKCAT

if i get AAA predicitions where can i apply?
Original post by Yetix
4.5A*s 6A's - GCSE

BBB - AS LEVELS

680 average UKCAT

Loads of places. Southampton for one.
Reply 47
Original post by Yetix
4.5A*s 6A's - GCSE

BBB - AS LEVELS

680 average UKCAT

A whole bunch of places! :yes:
Reply 48
Original post by BethaneyJ
Loads of places. Southampton for one.

i was told by teachers I've got no chance because it is so competitive
Reply 49
Original post by myyrh
Really!? So you've managed to differentiate between all the medical schools and decide that some aren't really up to you high expectations? what did you use, league tables?
How about you do some research. You'll be surprised to find that some medical schools don't in fact look at UKCAT scores.

Ok since you said that, I sat down and really thought about which universities I was going to apply to again.
My list was King's, Newcastle, Barts, Imperial for Medicine.
Now, I've decided to go for
Imperial, Bristol, Newcastle and Leicester.
Just to state it again I have 562.5 score in the UKCAT, 5A*s 4As and 2Bs in GCSE, and 4As in AS Levels.

I don't know but I heard UCL and Imperial were also GCSE heavy along with Bristol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Yetix

Well Southampton is competitive yes, but it is all about your personal statement. It's not like other places where someone with A*A*A* will get preference over AAA. Southampton is about meeting the minimum entry requirements and then after that it is only about having a really good PS.
Reply 51
Ok since you said that, I sat down and really thought about which universities I was going to apply to again.
My list was King's, Newcastle, Barts, Imperial for Medicine.
Now, I've decided to go for
Imperial, Bristol, Newcastle and Leicester.
Just to state it again I have 562.5 score in the UKCAT, 5A*s 4As and 2Bs in GCSE, and 4As in AS Levels.

I don't know but I heard UCL and Imperial were also GCSE heavy along with Bristol.

Avoid Newcastle at all costs because your UKCAT would get you an instant rejection (they interview by UKCAT score)
I would also avoid Leicester as they also score applicants UKCAT scores
Bristol would be fine and so would Imperial. Bristol give credit to up to 8 subjects at A/A* so your GCSE grades are fine for them. Imperial is actually really not GCSE heavy (they require AAABB) what they place most emphasis on is the BMAT. Your grades are fine for UCL too.
Reply 52
Original post by Yetix

Ah don't listen to teachers. They're hardly know anything about medical admissions. :sadnod:
Reply 53
Original post by myyrh
Avoid Newcastle at all costs because your UKCAT would get you an instant rejection (they interview by UKCAT score)
I would also avoid Leicester as they also score applicants UKCAT scores
Bristol would be fine and so would Imperial. Bristol give credit to up to 8 subjects at A/A* so your GCSE grades are fine for them. Imperial is actually really not GCSE heavy (they require AAABB) what they place most emphasis on is the BMAT. Your grades are fine for UCL too.

Sorry to ask again, but how about Royal College of Surgeons Ireland?.
How about Nottingham as one of my universities then?
Reply 54
How about Nottingham as one of my universities then?

No idea about the Royal College of Surgeons Ireland. Nottingham score UKCAT score so avoid them too.
Reply 55
Original post by myyrh
No idea about the Royal College of Surgeons Ireland. Nottingham score UKCAT score so avoid them too.

Although UCL, Imperial and Bristol are not GCSE heavy for standard home and EU applicant, I heard that for international students GCSEs are a heavy factor? I ask this because I am an international student.
Reply 56

Irish medical schools are incredibly difficult to get into... Here's the info you need regarding RCSI: http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=112&n=202&a=744
Reply 57
Although UCL, Imperial and Bristol are not GCSE heavy for standard home and EU applicant, I heard that for international students GCSEs are a heavy factor? I ask this because I am an international student.

I wouldn't think so. Some international applicants don't even have gcse grades. Even if gcse grades were a factor, yours are very good and certainly good enough for those schools.
Reply 58
Original post by Zedd
Irish medical schools are incredibly difficult to get into... Here's the info you need regarding RCSI: http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=112&n=202&a=744

I'm an international applicant so the EU Leavers is not under my category. I looked at the non-EU section and it has no information on the number of places.
Reply 59

As an international student myself, I can tell you now that this is definitely not true.

The admission policies of each university are generally the same between home & international students, with only a few exceptions being medical schools that set different UKCAT, overall score (some unis use a scoring system) cutoffs for international students.