The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chughes17
PE, hardly think they'll care. I actually got a C in PE AS as well, both times due to the school undermarking coursework to ensure they weren't scrutinised by the exam board.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, i was just wondering how an A* student got that one C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Norin
Oh okay, i was just wondering how an A* student got that one C.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, although my WHOLE education history is a bit of an anomaly to the system, so I really have no idea how they'll see it. Hoping if I get in the top 10 TSA scores they might just invite me to interview anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
First question OP.. HOW THE F IS THIS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR OXFORD OR CAMBRIDGE???
ESPECIALLY FOR DAMN MEDICINE??
YOU FAILED OP.. YOU'LL BE FOREVER MISERABLE.
(You done amazing OP, you have a great advantage not a disadvantage).
Original post by JackHogg
GCSE: 8A*, 4A and a B.
AS: AABB.
A2: Predicted AAA.
UKCAT: 680, band 1.
What are my chances? Please don't be too brutal...������

Honestly, its hard to tell from just this.
It depends on where you are applying and what your work experience, extra curricular and volunteering is like.
However, having said that, your GCSE's are great. AS: low side of average but if you can get your predicted grades they shouldn't be any problem! The AABB stops any chance of Oxbridge this year really, Cambridge want an average of 93% across the board - with Oxford you could possibly get away with a relatively lower AS UMS but the competition is still going to be pretty big.
Some Uni's base really heavily on GCSE's so I would probs go for those... where did you apply? :smile:
Original post by SusannedeVrijer
Honestly, its hard to tell from just this.
It depends on where you are applying and what your work experience, extra curricular and volunteering is like.
However, having said that, your GCSE's are great. AS: low side of average but if you can get your predicted grades they shouldn't be any problem! The AABB stops any chance of Oxbridge this year really, Cambridge want an average of 93% across the board - with Oxford you could possibly get away with a relatively lower AS UMS but the competition is still going to be pretty big.
Some Uni's base really heavily on GCSE's so I would probs go for those... where did you apply? :smile:

I applied at Sheffield, East Anglia, Nottingham and Cardiff!
Original post by JackHogg
I applied at Sheffield, East Anglia, Nottingham and Cardiff!

Sweet! Its hard to tell but I think if you've got the right personality and motivation then you stand a pretty good chance. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by SusannedeVrijer
Sweet! Its hard to tell but I think if you've got the right personality and motivation then you stand a pretty good chance. Good luck! :smile:

Ah nice one, thanks for replying😊
what only 8. You need 100% A*. I hate to break the news to you but nowhere worth while will accept you in.
It depends on your school's results, your UKCAT/BMAT scores and AS results . . . Blah blah blah etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Oxford medicine:

"The mean number of A* at GCSE for all applicants was 8.4; this rose to 10.1 for those short-listed and 10.4 for those applicants made offers.

The mean proportion of A* at GCSE was 0.79; this rose to 0.93 for those short-listed and 0.95 for those applicants made offers."

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

For Cambridge medicine, you can look at the graph on Slide 4 of this presentation:

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation_2013.pdf
They're good enough GCSEs. Focus on AS now.
It's a fair enough question I suppose.

Because it seems to be more about proportion than raw amount.

Quite annoying because I have same as you but like a 50% rate.

Lets hope I don't re apply for med next year.

But yeah, that's fine, I'd probably go with Cambridge if you do really well at AS.
Not sure, my cousin got rejected from Oxford for medicine, she got 10A* and 1A.
Original post by maddiegarcia
Not sure, my cousin got rejected from Oxford for medicine, she got 10A* and 1A.

GCSE's alone don't get you into medicine. Personal statement makes a huge difference. Then so does the interview. With those gcse grades I hardly think that's what got her rejected
Original post by Chief Wiggum
For Oxford medicine:

"The mean number of A* at GCSE for all applicants was 8.4; this rose to 10.1 for those short-listed and 10.4 for those applicants made offers.

The mean proportion of A* at GCSE was 0.79; this rose to 0.93 for those short-listed and 0.95 for those applicants made offers."

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

For Cambridge medicine, you can look at the graph on Slide 4 of this presentation:

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation_2013.pdf

Possibly the only post of any use to the OP.
:frown:
Original post by dennisthemenaced
It has been my dream forever to do Medicine however my GCSEs were somewhat disappointing. Having got 7As and 4Bs, I fear that my grades aren't good enough for the course. Don't get me wrong I'm not heart set on Oxbridge, realistically I'm hoping for Kings College, UEA or Queen Mary's? Is it possible?

I'm in the same predicament as you are! Though I've applied to different unis - UEA, Sheffield, Southampton and Liverpool, but I'm studying in an Indian curriculum in Dubai. :colone:
I don't :biggrin:
Can someone please tell me realistically how many a*s someone would need at GCSE to study at a Russell group uni? (Medicine obv) and please don't be like "a million" serious answers as I have my gcse this year and need to know realistically and set targets etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Izzyyyyy
Can someone please tell me realistically how many a*s someone would need at GCSE to study at a Russell group uni? (Medicine obv) and please don't be like "a million" serious answers as I have my gcse this year and need to know realistically and set targets etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why does Russell group matter for medicine?

There are a few universities who are very keen on GCSEs and where it's not really worth applying without 8 or above, but the majority are not so stringent. I can't guarantee that 5 A*s will get you interviews but 4 won't, or anything like that, but the better your GCSE grades, the more doors will be open to you, so aim as high as you can, particularly in the sciences, maths and English.

Latest

Trending

Trending