Original post by BewareTomato
English - C
Maths- B
Science- B
Additional science- A
ICT (vocational/ betch)- pass

you only have 5 gcses?
You might be better applying for foundation medicine
I have 4A*'s and 7A's at GCSE (biology, chemistry, geography and DT :/). I got AAAB at as-level (plus an A in general studies and an A* in the extended project. I am taking a gap year but am predicted A*AA but am aiming for AAA as I don't think I will get the A*. Depending on my UKCAT score ( I am hoping to improve on 695 which is what I got last year) do I stand any sort of chance of getting in? I really don't mine where I go but I and feeling very bad about it as I have worked so hard for this! I also have plenty of work experience, volunteer in a hospice and have hobbies etc. In my gap year I am hoping to get a relevant job for example as a HCA or maybe in a care home. I would very much appreciate any feedback :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elifast
Not sure if anyone will be able to help me out but: I am a Canadian student wanting to do my medical degree in the UK!

Secondary school, grade 12:
Physics 92%, chemistry 88%, biology 90%, precalc 87%, English 93%

I haven't really been able to find too much info, the minimum entry requirements (for some schools) are 85% but I haven't been able to get a good idea of what is considered competitive for international students..

I am taking the UKCAT this upcoming registration, but I was wondering what score I need to balance my grades out??

I think you will have a better idea of what those grades mean than most of the British people on this thread but i would say anything above 2500 on the UKCAT is reasonable
Original post by JulietR
I have 4A*'s and 7A's at GCSE (biology, chemistry, geography and DT :/). I got AAAB at as-level (plus an A in general studies and an A* in the extended project. I am taking a gap year but am predicted A*AA but am aiming for AAA as I don't think I will get the A*. Depending on my UKCAT score ( I am hoping to improve on 695 which is what I got last year) do I stand any sort of chance of getting in? I really don't mine where I go but I and feeling very bad about it as I have worked so hard for this! I also have plenty of work experience, volunteer in a hospice and have hobbies etc. In my gap year I am hoping to get a relevant job for example as a HCA or maybe in a care home. I would very much appreciate any feedback :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, you have as good a chance as anyone as long as you get AAA. Most people improve on their UKCAT score the second time (and your last score wasn't dreadful anyway), just have a think about where you need to improve and work on that - there are some good practice websites out there.

Your GCSEs are pretty good, and it sounds like you've got the WE side sorted. Just apply strategically according to your academics and UKCAT when you get it, and reflect on your WE in your personal statement to give yourself the best chance.
Original post by theresheglows
Yes, you have as good a chance as anyone as long as you get AAA. Most people improve on their UKCAT score the second time (and your last score wasn't dreadful anyway), just have a think about where you need to improve and work on that - there are some good practice websites out there.

Your GCSEs are pretty good, and it sounds like you've got the WE side sorted. Just apply strategically according to your academics and UKCAT when you get it, and reflect on your WE in your personal statement to give yourself the best chance.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I agree totally with your advice to apply strategically but really have no idea which options would be best for me in terms of my GCSE's and general academic performance. I have no real preferences, I just want to apply where I have the best chance of getting at least an interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone Iam a mature student who just landed in the UK.
.Iam starting My A levels in september. Iam 25 now.

My question is with low gcse scores b/c/d ( done 8 years ago) and taking the proper a levels in the next few years do I have a chance in medicine ? Since My gcse were done a long time ago if I achieve something aroud 3 a* or aaa with a good ukcat/bmat do I have a strong chance ?

Does it depend from uni to uni? Should i take more than 3 a levels to compensate the low gcse?

Where can I found some info about schools who don t look much to gcse?
Iam not familiarized with the UK admission system.
Original post by LordTavares
Hi everyone Iam a mature student who just landed in the UK.
.Iam starting My A levels in september. Iam 25 now.

My question is with low gcse scores b/c/d ( done 8 years ago) and taking the proper a levels in the next few years do I have a chance in medicine ? Since My gcse were done a long time ago if I achieve something aroud 3 a* or aaa with a good ukcat/bmat do I have a strong chance ?

Does it depend from uni to uni? Should i take more than 3 a levels to compensate the low gcse?

Where can I found some info about schools who don t look much to gcse?
Iam not familiarized with the UK admission system.

Heya my advice to you would be to take 4 AS levels then drop one so you have 3 full A-levels as 4 doesn't necessarily give you any advantage.
Then literally look at all the uni requirements pick the 15 ones you feel are most okay. Then email them asking the path they'd suggest, if you have a chance etc. I think like it requires your own research because if you listens to others suggest you night miss out the uni that would accept you. I know there are a lot of exceptions for people who took their GCSE'S a while ago ypu just really need to research into it
Thank you very much for the advice! Cheers
Hey everyone, hope you're all well 😇

I'm an AS student doing the following subjects:
Maths
Geography
Physics
Economics

Right now like a month before my AS levels, I feel different about my future and after being inspired somehow - I want to do medicine. Is there any chance I can do medicine at all, if I can manage to get really high grades this year (I mean 4A's). Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks a lot everyone 😇
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arjun24

Maths
Geography
Physics
Economics

Right now like a month before my AS levels, I feel different about my future and after being inspired somehow - I want to do medicine. Is there any chance I can do medicine at all, if I can manage to get really high grades this year (I mean 4A's). Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks a lot everyone 😇
Posted from TSR Mobile

The grades are fine, its just your subjects. Most, if not all unis want chemistry and either bio/physics. Some require biology as a compulsory subject. But many also offer foundation years for those who have had a sudden 'epiphany' of wanting to do medicine but you just don't have the right subjects such as in East Anglia. The foundation years are a much more competitive course only because of the few number of places on offer.

I would suggest you do a lot of work experience as that's what's really going to show your dedication to the career when you write your personal statement. This is realllyyyyyyy important.

I would also recommend going on university websites and looking at requirements to have an idea... But don't stress yourself too much at the moment :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looks like you're gonna need to do one of those foundation courses as you don't have bio or most importantly chem
Original post by 286001
The grades are fine, its just your subjects. Most, if not all unis want chemistry and either bio/physics. Some require biology as a compulsory subject. But many also offer foundation years for those who have had a sudden 'epiphany' of wanting to do medicine but you just don't have the right subjects such as in East Anglia. The foundation years are a much more competitive course only because of the few number of places on offer.

I would suggest you do a lot of work experience as that's what's really going to show your dedication to the career when you write your personal statement. This is realllyyyyyyy important.

I would also recommend going on university websites and looking at requirements to have an idea... But don't stress yourself too much at the moment :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll have a look and consider everything. Thanks a lot 😇😇

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arjun24

Maths
Geography
Physics
Economics

Thanks a lot everyone 😇
Posted from TSR Mobile

You're gonna need bio and Chem for most unis and at least one of them for pretty much all. You could do a foundation year and apply through that but again that's competitive. If you're really passionate about it, I'd email the medical schools and explain your situation and ask if they'd consider your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Email all your med schools to find out.

a perfect spread of Alevels is:

Chem
Bio
Something sciency/maths
Something totally different, but academic.

Save your "i'm a well rounded person" stuff for you personal statement, Alevels need to be rigorous.

When i applied all your A/As levels had to be sat over 2 years, thus it may be that you need to start As again. This sounds like a big thing when you're in school, but trust me, it really isnt when you realise its the rest of your life ahead of you. I took a year out before really settling on medicine and it was amazing.
Hi I got 4a* 5A and B in my GCSEs and am taking bio,chem,maths and geography for AS and my ABSOLUTE dream for ages has been to go into medicine. But I am struggling with my As etc do you think my grades are good enough?? Any tips?? Thanks xx
Original post by Ellebann
Hi I got 4a* 5A and B in my GCSEs and am taking bio,chem,maths and geography for AS and my ABSOLUTE dream for ages has been to go into medicine. But I am struggling with my As etc do you think my grades are good enough?? Any tips?? Thanks xx

They're absolutely fine for medicine, just avoid really GCSE heavy universities. Have a look at the medicine wiki, its got loads of info about GCSEs and applying to your strengths.
Original post by ForestCat
They're absolutely fine for medicine, just avoid really GCSE heavy universities. Have a look at the medicine wiki, its got loads of info about GCSEs and applying to your strengths.

Ok thankyou! It's just so hard to get into medicine which is why It's so stressful :/
Reply 6377
Hi guys I got 5A*s and 2As, although I got a C in English language, and I know english language is important. so I was wondering will I still be able to get in even though I haven't got a great grade in English.
I am doin maths, chemistry, physics and biology.
I'm predicted 3As and a B in AS.
And for the 3 A2s I am gonna do, maths chemistry and biology, I'm predicted A*,AA at A2.
Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.
GCSEs are really only looked at to weed off the final few when everyone else left has the same sort of A-level results. I'm sure you'll be fine, as long as you get the best possible results at A-level, which in your case appears to be A*s and As, I wouldn't worry too much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
A C in English will unfortunately limit the medical schools you can apply to. Have a look at this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

The entry requirements may change when you apply so make sure you double check any of the information on the link above with the university websites
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending