The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6380
Thanks, I am planning on taking a gap year so I was wondering if unis still look at GCSEs if I already have a full set of alevels. Thanks in advance
Don't forget you can always study outside of UK, in Europe for example. I wouldn't recommend it as first choice (I'm from Europe myself and came to UK) but in case you don't get into any med school here, don't forget you still have plenty of options (such as Ireland!)
Original post by Josda
Thanks, I am planning on taking a gap year so I was wondering if unis still look at GCSEs if I already have a full set of alevels. Thanks in advance

Yes they'd still look at your GCSE's I'm afraid :/ But don't be put off! There's still quite a few med schools you can apply to :smile:
Original post by Josda
Hi guys I got 5A*s and 2As, although I got a C in English language, and I know english language is important. so I was wondering will I still be able to get in even though I haven't got a great grade in English.
I am doin maths, chemistry, physics and biology.
I'm predicted 3As and a B in AS.
And for the 3 A2s I am gonna do, maths chemistry and biology, I'm predicted A*,AA at A2.
Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Some universities don't pay much attention to GCSEs once you meet their minimum requirement, some base a lot of them. The wiki will give you a starting idea of GCSE requirements. That C in english language may be a problem but you're going to have to have a look in to what places you would qualify for.
Original post by emerl98
Hey guys, I'm wondering if I would still be able to apply to universities next year for medicine with my crappy GCSEs. I got 2A's 5B's and 3C's. My A grades are Maths and R.E. My B grades are physics, chemistry, biology, french and Psychology. And my C grades are English language + Literature and P.E.

I am currently doing Maths, and all 3 sciences for AS and I'm on the road to AAAA for AS. I believe I may be able to get at least 1-2A*s overall by the end of A2.

I'm planning to do work experience at hospitals for the whole of summer and at a care home. I also have a few friends who can help me patch up my personal statement.

So, do I still have a chance of getting into medicine? Is there anything else I need to add to improve my chances?

I'd recommend re-siting some papers, especially you're english language and literature. Most uni's have a B grade as their minimum - and considering how many people apply having something lower than their state cut-off points may give them reason to straightaway reject your application. I don't think re-sitting in Year 13 is going to be an option. Obviously i'm not 100% sure and some unis may have a cut-off of a C.

you will really need to look at what the units actual cut offs have been for the last few years, maybe talking to them in person and work it out. Birmingham and Cardiff are no-go area because they are looking for more that 7A*
Hi, I'm a first year med student. I was thinking of applying to Cardiff and went on the open day but it was there that I discovered I wouldn't get in with my gcses, which was 5A*. Cardiff's system gives points to each GCSE and they told me the cut off was something like 24 points which meant that you needed something like 7/8A* just to be considered for interview. If I were you I would avoid Birmingham too, looks for unis that are not wanting REALLY strong GCSEs that's where people with like 9A* will apply to. All-rounders unis are best. But make sure you really looks at what uni's ACTUAL cut off have been for the last few years :smile:
Original post by JazzyGee
Hi, I'm a first year med student. I was thinking of applying to Cardiff and went on the open day but it was there that I discovered I wouldn't get in with my gcses, which was 5A*. Cardiff's system gives points to each GCSE and they told me the cut off was something like 24 points which meant that you needed something like 7/8A* just to be considered for interview. If I were you I would avoid Birmingham too, looks for unis that are not wanting REALLY strong GCSEs that's where people with like 9A* will apply to. All-rounders unis are best. But make sure you really looks at what uni's ACTUAL cut off have been for the last few years :smile:

where do you go to med school ? Oh wait I read further down
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bradenrixon0923
Hi

I am currently doing my as levels and was wondering if I had a chance to get into any medical schools. i got 5A*s and 5As at GCSE and will hopefully get 4 A's at as level. I have also done 4 weeks work experience in endocrinology department, 2 weeks in surgery (in america) and have volunteered at a care home for 8 months and in a charity shop for 13 months. Do i stand any chance of getting into any med school?
Thanks.

I assuming you're concerned about your GCSEs but you got better GCSEs than me and I'm a first year at Leicester now. I got 5A* too and a few As and Bs too. Just apply to more all rounder universities, and not ones looking for 7-10A*s and you're fine. Its the ukcat (so so important) and PS you need good in too!
Hi I really want to become a doctor and I have already locked up tons of work experience and voluntary work and I have fairly good extracurriculars.

I am aiming to get 12 a's for my gcse this year (i am predicted A*'s for a few of them but I feel this is a better base to aim for)

I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Latin for A level.

SO am I good enough?
Original post by Boo_Ayres13
Hi I really want to become a doctor and I have already locked up tons of work experience and voluntary work and I have fairly good extracurriculars.

I am aiming to get 12 a's for my gcse this year (i am predicted A*'s for a few of them but I feel this is a better base to aim for)

I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Latin for A level.

SO am I good enough?

Its way too early to comment on that. But you're going in the right direction. Wait until you get your results and see how you get on with A-levels :smile:

Although I can say Latin will come in massively helpful for learning anatomy. My friend and I frequently comment how we wished we'd learned Latin at school! But as it is a more unusal a-level choice, check with med schools that they would accept it.
Do I stand a chance to get into medicine with 7 A 3 B at GCSE and 4 A at AS with good bmat
This is to imperial
Original post by BigDreamer123
Do I stand a chance to get into medicine with 7 A 3 B at GCSE and 4 A at AS with good bmat

depends on what your b's are in?
Which of these med schools will let me in with my stats
5A* 3A 1B (eng lang)
Notts
Imperial
Kings London
Queen Mary
Predicted 4A at AS
Plenty of WE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by games211
depends on what your b's are in?

English ICT and short course RE
Original post by f.loco
Which of these med schools will let me in with my stats
5A* 3A 1B (eng lang)
Notts
Imperial
Kings London
Queen Mary
Predicted 4A at AS
Plenty of WE

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't really get predicted at AS.
Depends on your UKCAT but all good so far :smile:
So can I get into medicine at imperial with those gcses?

Why don't you have a look at their website, it tells you.

For Imperial, you need to score AAABB over the Sciences, Maths and English Language. There are other factors involved too though like predicted grades, BMAT results, personal statement and then if all those things are strong, interview performance.

EDIT: This is why I shouldn't leave my computer mid-reply. :emo: It looks like FC has beaten me to it. :tongue:
But do i stand a chance of getting an interview

Latest

Trending

Trending