The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BigDreamer123
But do i stand a chance of getting an interview

It depends on your other stats, not just on your GCSEs alone so none of us can say. The BMAT, for example, plays a vital part in selection with a minimum cut off for each of the three sections and every year lots and lots of people fall at this hurdle.
So I still have a chance to go to imperial not all hope is lost?

Yes.

How many times, and for how many schools are you going to ask this question?

Your gcse grades will still give you plenty of schools you can possibly apply to (and gain an interview). But they are only part of the picture. Sit your As exams, sit your ukcat and then we'll be in a better position to advise you.
Or do some of the legwork yourself. Imperial's website would have given you the answer to your question, as would the medicine wiki.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah but the stalking page shows people who have multiple A*
Yeah but the stalking page shows people who have multiple A*

So what?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 8 A*'s and 5 A's at GCSE - will birmingham overlook my application because i only got an A in english language and literature, or will it not really make a difference; i am predicted 4 a's at AS level in maths,biology,chemistry and accounting - and from the mocks i've just sat i am well on target to hit those grades; its just the GCSE's that are worrying me a bit.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

So why would they even look at my application with my rubbish gcses
So why would they even look at my application with my rubbish gcses

You really need to understand how medical applications work. Some universities want high gcses and so yes your application would be wasted there. However, for some universities as long as you meet the minimum requirements for GCSEs they don't look at them again... and instead select for interview on the basis of ukcat/as UMS/bmat etc.

Look at the wiki for aplying to your strengths and gcse requirements.

But seriously get over it. Stop stressing about your gcses, you can't change them now and it won't stop you from applying to medicine (and standing a chance at some universities) but you need to focus on your AS/A2s and kicking butt in the ukcat/bmat!
Hi,
I'm probably gonna get 7A*s 1A and 2Cs at GCSE. Will the two Cs (in english lit and french) impact my application or prevent me from standing a good chance. Assuming I got straight As at A-Level and a good UKCAT/BMAT and have a good PS, how badly with the Cs affect my application?
Any help really appreciated :smile:
Original post by 12Russ
Hi,
I'm probably gonna get 7A*s 1A and 2Cs at GCSE. Will the two Cs (in english lit and french) impact my application or prevent me from standing a good chance. Assuming I got straight As at A-Level and a good UKCAT/BMAT and have a good PS, how badly with the Cs affect my application?
Any help really appreciated :smile:

The C in english lit may limit where you can apply but you should still have some options. The GCSE wiki is a bit out of date but will still give you an idea.
The important thing is those are only what you predict. Try and get that english lit grade up, its not too late.
Hi
I'm applying for the 2016 entry and i have 5A*'s, 4A's and 1B in my GCSE's and i will probably get 4A's in my AS. I have lots of work experience and have volunteered a lot. Are my GCSE's good enough for medicine?
thanks
Original post by sammygreen:)
Hi
I'm applying for the 2016 entry and i have 5A*'s, 4A's and 1B in my GCSE's and i will probably get 4A's in my AS. I have lots of work experience and have volunteered a lot. Are my GCSE's good enough for medicine?
thanks

Yes, they are fine. You will need to apply wisely when the time comes and avoid Medical Schools that are very GCSE heavy though - have a look at the link ForestCat posted in the post above yours to get an idea about where you can apply.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kathan30
I got 8 A*'s and 5 A's at GCSE - will birmingham overlook my application because i only got an A in english language and literature, or will it not really make a difference; i am predicted 4 a's at AS level in maths,biology,chemistry and accounting - and from the mocks i've just sat i am well on target to hit those grades; its just the GCSE's that are worrying me a bit.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

I was in the same position as you nearly two years ago, when I emailed them I was advised it was unlikely I would be offered an interview as they do require A*in English Language or Literature - I would contact them to double check rather than take a risk and waste one of your choices. Good Luck!
i want to do medicine. im predicted 4 A's.but realistically im expecting AABB at the end of this year. (in chem,bio,sociology and citizenship)
I have work experinec in a nursery, a primary school a pharmacy, an opticians and a year at a GP surgery.

in my GCSE's i got 6A's an A* and 3 B's.

do i have any chance/ how likely am i of getting an offer for medicine at Keele, Duram or St Georges Uni london.
Original post by aysha_h
i want to do medicine. im predicted 4 A's.but realistically im expecting AABB at the end of this year. (in chem,bio,sociology and citizenship)
I have work experinec in a nursery, a primary school a pharmacy, an opticians and a year at a GP surgery.

in my GCSE's i got 6A's an A* and 3 B's.

do i have any chance/ how likely am i of getting an offer for medicine at Keele, Duram or St Georges Uni london.

Hi there, these are perfectly okay stats to apply for medicine in october. I can't speak for the specific universities you've mentioned as I don't know their interview selection processes, but look at all universities offering medicine and apply to those most likely to give you an interview - you might want to avoid those that are especially GCSE heavy for example, as they would probably want you to have more A*s at GCSE but there are others that won't mind at all. Try and aim for 4 As in your AS exams as that would be quite helpful and work towards a good UKCAT (and possibly BMAT) and you will be able to make a competitive application :smile:
thankyou so much

Original post by violin101
Hi there, these are perfectly okay stats to apply for medicine in october. I can't speak for the specific universities you've mentioned as I don't know their interview selection processes, but look at all universities offering medicine and apply to those most likely to give you an interview - you might want to avoid those that are especially GCSE heavy for example, as they would probably want you to have more A*s at GCSE but there are others that won't mind at all. Try and aim for 4 As in your AS exams as that would be quite helpful and work towards a good UKCAT (and possibly BMAT) and you will be able to make a competitive application :smile:
Original post by kittymitch
I was in the same position as you nearly two years ago, when I emailed them I was advised it was unlikely I would be offered an interview as they do require A*in English Language or Literature - I would contact them to double check rather than take a risk and waste one of your choices. Good Luck!

Yh i spoke to them and said they would consider my applications because of the strengths of my other GCSE's however i doubt i will apply to birmingham because i don't want to be handicapped at all.
Hi wondering if my gcses are good enough for medicine and which universities I would have the best chance of getting in with these gcses, thanks
Maths A
Further maths A
Core science A
Additional science A
English language B
English literature A
Business studies A
History A
French B
RS C
Do Med Schools care when you take GCSE's? I want to take some extra GCSE's (not retakes) to boost A* count, will this matter that I am not in school anymore when taking these?

Latest

Trending

Trending