The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jabruq
Hi,
I am hoping to apply this year for 2016 entry. I got AABC for As level (B and C were a few marks off the next grade) and 607.5 avg, 2430 Band 1 in my UKCAT. I know these aren't amazing scores/grades for Medicine so I really want your advice as you have been in my position. Obviously I am going to work to push my grades up but I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile applying to Medical School?
Please do reply, it will be very much appreciated
Kind regards

As long as the C is not in chemistry I think you should be fine.If you achieved high gcses I would apply to gcse heavy unis.Also some unis put less weight on as grades and care more about predicted grades.Just make sure you don't apply to any ukcat heavy unis e.g Southampton and Newcastle.Also consider doing the bmat
Original post by Michaaelaaa
As long as the C is not in chemistry I think you should be fine.If you achieved high gcses I would apply to gcse heavy unis.Also some unis put less weight on as grades and care more about predicted grades.Just make sure you don't apply to any ukcat heavy unis e.g Southampton and Newcastle.Also consider doing the bmat

Hi thanks for your reply, I got 3A* 4A 1Distinction and 1.5 B at GCSE. What Unis should I consider?
Kind regards
I stupidly didn't prepare much for the ukcat and got an average score of 640 and a band 1. I want to study medicine, which Russel group universities do I have a chance with? Will Queen Mary, Nottingham, Birmingham or Kings take me? I am predicted A*AA. Also, is it too late to prepare for the BMAT and try get into medical school that way?Thanks in advance x
Original post by mizzyportia
I have 6A*'s and 5A's in my gcse's
My As level is ABBB in maths, biology, chemistry and physics respectively- my predicted grades for A2 is A*AA (dropping physics)
But I didn't do too well in my UKCAT with a score of 645 and STJ Band 3:frown:
I am going to apply to UEA and St George's but I am not sure where else I stand a chance also wether to take the BMAT and apply to Imperial? Any advice?

I think i'm in the exact same position as you! I reckon we have enough time to prepare for the BMAT and hopefully do better in that. Then i would apply for two ukcat and two bmat universities. What are you thinking of doing?
Original post by niki_123
I stupidly didn't prepare much for the ukcat and got an average score of 640 and a band 1. I want to study medicine, which Russel group universities do I have a chance with? Will Queen Mary, Nottingham, Birmingham or Kings take me? I am predicted A*AA. Also, is it too late to prepare for the BMAT and try get into medical school that way?Thanks in advance x

Why does it need to be a Russel Group? It doesn't matter which Uni you go to for Medicine.

Bart's look at UKCAT and UCAS points tariff - have a look at their website to see what sorts of scores they like seeing. For Nottingham, your UKCAT score makes up 71% of your total score so they do place some emphasis on it and Kings like seeing high UKCAT scores, so I'd avoid them personally (even though they had a relatively lowish UKCAT average this year compared to previous years). Birmingham are interest in your other academics - what are they like, if you don't mind me asking?

The BMAT is done in November so there is still plenty of time to prepare for that.
I was wondering whether a ukcat score of 727.5 would be good enough for Kings, Barts or nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by usycool1
Why does it need to be a Russel Group? It doesn't matter which Uni you go to for Medicine.

Bart's look at UKCAT and UCAS points tariff - have a look at their website to see what sorts of scores they like seeing. For Nottingham, your UKCAT score makes up 71% of your total score so they do place some emphasis on it and Kings like seeing high UKCAT scores, so I'd avoid them personally (even though they had a relatively lowish UKCAT average this year compared to previous years). Birmingham are interest in your other academics - what are they like, if you don't mind me asking?

The BMAT is done in November so there is still plenty of time to prepare for that.

Hi thanks for your help!

Do you have any idea about Queen Mary? I don't know why, my heart has always been set on a Russel Group university. Do medicine graduates tend to find jobs regardless of the university?

By other academics do you mean GCSEs? I got 7A*s and 4As. If you mean work experience, wider reading, lectures etc, I think I have enough to talk about.

I want to take BMAT so that I can apply to Imperial and UCL but again the interview worries me because I've heard they are a lot harder than St Georges etc.

Thanks again for your help :smile:
Original post by ab9826
I was wondering whether a ukcat score of 727.5 would be good enough for Kings, Barts or nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be in the top percentile if the averages are roughly similar to the last few years! It is a great score well done!

I would definetly think it is good enough for kings, barts and nottingham, I would also consider newcastle and southampton!
Hi thanks for your help!

Do you have any idea about Queen Mary? I don't know why, my heart has always been set on a Russel Group university. Do medicine graduates tend to find jobs regardless of the university?

No worries.

Barts = Queen Mary

It doesn't matter where you go for Medicine - you'll end up a doctor wherever. When you apply for your first post, the Medical School you go to is actually hidden.

By other academics do you mean GCSEs? I got 7A*s and 4As. If you mean work experience, wider reading, lectures etc, I think I have enough to talk about.

For Birmingham, you'll need an A* in English (language or literature), Maths and the Sciences and they give strong preference to applicants with aaaa at AS level. If you have those, then you could consider it.

I want to take BMAT so that I can apply to Imperial and UCL but again the interview worries me because I've heard they are a lot harder than St Georges etc.

Thanks again for your help :smile:

I'd suggest against applying to two BMAT Medical Schools personally (unless you're absolutely sure that you'll do well) - the BMAT is done after you apply so there is a lot of pressure on that exam. If you can't perform as well as you want to for whatever reason on the day, it'll mean that half your options will pretty much be gone.

In terms of interviews, I can't speak for UCL, but they're not too bad for Imperial. St George's have MMI and I found preparing for those much harder (I ended up not going to my St George's interview in the end though). The hardest bit for Imperial is the BMAT and actually getting to interview stage.
Original post by usycool1
No worries.

Barts = Queen Mary

It doesn't matter where you go for Medicine - you'll end up a doctor wherever. When you apply for your first post, the Medical School you go to is actually hidden.

For Birmingham, you'll need an A* in English (language or literature), Maths and the Sciences and they give strong preference to applicants with aaaa at AS level. If you have those, then you could consider it.

I'd suggest against applying to two BMAT Medical Schools personally (unless you're absolutely sure that you'll do well) - the BMAT is done after you apply so there is a lot of pressure on that exam. If you can't perform as well as you want to for whatever reason on the day, it'll mean that half your options will pretty much be gone.

In terms of interviews, I can't speak for UCL, but they're not too bad for Imperial. St George's have MMI and I found preparing for those much harder (I ended up not going to my St George's interview in the end though). The hardest bit for Imperial is the BMAT and actually getting to interview stage.

Thanks a lot for all your help! If I need anymore advice, I will let you know :smile:
I think i'm in the exact same position as you! I reckon we have enough time to prepare for the BMAT and hopefully do better in that. Then i would apply for two ukcat and two bmat universities. What are you thinking of doing?

Glad to meet someone in my situation, its definitely not too late to take the BMAT at all I know people who have just ordered the book so they can prepare for it starting first week in September.
I don't think I want to take the BMAT personally because I want to focus on my A2 and give it a go applying to UKCAT school such as UEA, St George's or Cardiff as they are not as ukcat heavy. Simply because if I mess up my A2 I can't take a gap year and reapply and probably have to do graduate entry cause I really don't want to retake:lol:
Also its not for sure that I would do well in the BMAT so I don't think I want to risk it but I haven't decided for sure yet, if u was to take the BMAT where will you apply to?
Original post by mizzyportia
Glad to meet someone in my situation, its definitely not too late to take the BMAT at all I know people who have just ordered the book so they can prepare for it starting first week in September.
I don't think I want to take the BMAT personally because I want to focus on my A2 and give it a go applying to UKCAT school such as UEA, St George's or Cardiff as they are not as ukcat heavy. Simply because if I mess up my A2 I can't take a gap year and reapply and probably have to do graduate entry cause I really don't want to retake:lol:
Also its not for sure that I would do well in the BMAT so I don't think I want to risk it but I haven't decided for sure yet, if u was to take the BMAT where will you apply to?

Yeah, to be fair I'm still considering my options but if I were to take the BMAT i would apply for either Imperial or UCL, along with other UKCAT universities.

Like you said, St Georges sounds like good option but I'm also thinking about Birmingham and Leicester.

Hope things work out for us both aha:smile:

Apart from ukcat you are in strong position. Apply to Liverpool as they don't look at ukcat this year I think. Don't apply to king's and Nottingham as they care about ukcat. Don't apply to Birmingham, you're GCSEs aren't what they would be impressed by. Apply to QMUL if you're taking 4+ A2 subjects:smile:

Hope that helped. BTW how much prep did you ACTUALLY do for the ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by f.loco
Apply to Liverpool as they don't look at ukcat this year I think.

Liverpool are actually introducing the UKCAT this year.

Thanks a lot for all your help! If I need anymore advice, I will let you know :smile:

No worries. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :smile:
I got AAABB in my Scottish Highers and I'm taking Advanced Higher Chemistry, Maths and Art & Design plus another New Higher in English. I got AAAABB in my National 5s and should be predicted AAA in my Advanced Highers.

I haven't taken my UKCAT yet but I honestly don't know if I'm good enough to apply for Medicine. My choices are Dundee, St Andrews, Aberdeen and Manchester (potentially Lancaster if I substitute one of the others). Any advice or any other Uni's I should consider?
(edited 8 years ago)
To everyone on this thread, loads of people are giving conflicting advice about where to apply... And without researching this yourself you may end up making a poor choice as most people base their decisions on past years admissions scores/processes

The best thing to do is go on each universities websites and hunt down the admissions documents for the current years, have a good luck at the admissions criteria and see where your best strengths would lie.

Only you know your work experience profile and your personal statement and your grades/extenuating circumstances. - so its best that you research this yourself.

Its alright to ask odd questions on here, but dont ask for your exact four choices which you will put on your UCAS form as with the conflicting advice it may cause you to apply to the wrong places.

Just my advice, this is what i did!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aiyshapanba
I got AAABB in my Scottish Highers and I'm taking Advanced Higher Chemistry, Maths and Art & Design plus another New Higher in English. I got AAAABB in my National 5s and should be predicted AAA in my Advanced Highers.

I haven't taken my UKCAT yet but I honestly don't know if I'm good enough to apply for Medicine. My choices are Dundee, St Andrews, Aberdeen and Manchester (potentially Lancaster if I substitute one of the others). Any advice or any other Uni's I should consider?

Hey! You would be able to apply to Dundee (providing you got a pretty decent UKCAT score), but unfortunately the entry requirements for Aberdeen and St Andrews are AAAAB at Higher level...

I'm sorry, I don't know much about English medical schools, but someone else could give you advice!
With a ucas tariff of 620 and a ukcat of 637.5 would there be any point in applying to barts
Guys I know this is probably a silly question but can I include more than one (maybe 5 or 6) reference in my application?
Reply 7199
665(2660) on the UKCAT, lots of work experience so Im hoping to have a strong ps, 4 As at AS, 5A*s and 6 As at GCSE...any suggestions for unis cause I know my UKCAT score is average :/

Latest

Trending

Trending