The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Deathliga
I'm an international applicant so the EU Leavers is not under my category. I looked at the non-EU section and it has no information on the number of places.

Ah okay. Have you tried contacting their admissions department?
Reply 61
Original post by Zedd
Ah okay. Have you tried contacting their admissions department?

I only just considered it so I will need to do this then.
Reply 62
I only just considered it so I will need to do this then.

Good luck with it, I am mucho jealous (I'd love to go to Dublin for medicine if it was affordable!) :tongue:

GCSEs: 5 A*, 6As, 1 B and 3 BTECS.
AS levels: AABB (Biology, Geography, Maths, Chemistry)

Hey, I'm predicted AAA for Biology, Chemistry and Geography A level at the minute, but i'm quite worried about turning AAB into AAA, will it require a ridiculous amount of hard work and will i need to resit a unit in my chemistry? My school dont predict A* until later in A2 either, which in biology i hope to get. Also i am worried that in comparison to the competition i won't stand a chance. I have lots of extra curricular, volanteering, and work experience to support my p.s but acadmically im no where near as strong as some others. I welcome any honest advice, thankyou.

Looking into applying to Newcastle, Sheffield, Hull York, East Anglia
Reply 64
Original post by rebeccas140

GCSEs: 5 A*, 6As, 1 B and 3 BTECS.
AS levels: AABB (Biology, Geography, Maths, Chemistry)

Hey, I'm predicted AAA for Biology, Chemistry and Geography A level at the minute, but i'm quite worried about turning AAB into AAA, will it require a ridiculous amount of hard work and will i need to resit a unit in my chemistry? My school dont predict A* until later in A2 either, which in biology i hope to get. Also i am worried that in comparison to the competition i won't stand a chance. I have lots of extra curricular, volanteering, and work experience to support my p.s but acadmically im no where near as strong as some others. I welcome any honest advice, thankyou.

Looking into applying to Newcastle, Sheffield, Hull York, East Anglia

Your choices are fine just make sure you have a solid UKCAT score before deciding to apply to Newcastle.
Academically you are absolutely fine so don't worry about being inferior to other applicants.
It depends how high or low the B grade is, I would definitely recommend resitting to bring up your UMS. A2 Chemistry is a pain so try to get a solid AS in case A2 exams don't go well.
Original post by myyrh
Your choices are fine just make sure you have a solid UKCAT score before deciding to apply to Newcastle.
Academically you are absolutely fine so don't worry about being inferior to other applicants.
It depends how high or low the B grade is, I would definitely recommend resitting to bring up your UMS. A2 Chemistry is a pain so try to get a solid AS in case A2 exams don't go well.

Thankyou so much for your help :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by myyrh
I wouldn't think so. Some international applicants don't even have gcse grades. Even if gcse grades were a factor, yours are very good and certainly good enough for those schools.

Sorry for bothering you again. :frown:
So you told me Leicester and Nottingham are currently a no-no.
I read the website for Lancaster and they have nothing involved with the UKCAT.
Also, how about Hull York. I only saw how they categorize the UKCAT scores into sections and then rank us? I'm currently a 5 pointer then.
I know it's a little bit difficult to answer but apart from Imperial and Bristol (UCL I do not wish to) which other universities would be great?
Reply 67
Sorry for bothering you again. :frown:
So you told me Leicester and Nottingham are currently a no-no.
I read the website for Lancaster and they have nothing involved with the UKCAT.
Also, how about Hull York. I only saw how they categorize the UKCAT scores into sections and then rank us? I'm currently a 5 pointer then.
I know it's a little bit difficult to answer but apart from Imperial and Bristol (UCL I do not wish to) which other universities would be great?

As an international you'll already find that competition is going to be a lot more so I would just avoid any medical school which puts any emphasis on UKCAT.
Lancaster is a non UKCAT medical school so is
Liverpool and Birmingham so you may wish to consider them.
Sorry for re-post but no one seemed to answer..

GCSEs: 2A*, 3A, 3B, 3C
A-levels: Chem-A, Bio-A*, Maths-A, Phys(AS)-A

My current two choices for Uni are Imperial and Peninsula, would I have a chance at these?

Also, I did 3 days work exp. at southampton hospital last year, am in the process of 2 weeks lab work at Imperial and have 6 weeks research exp. lined up at bournemouth hospital. I may also start volunteer at a care home in the next couple weeks. Is that enough work exp. even though I lack any volunteering until now?
Reply 69
Original post by Leonidas12
Sorry for re-post but no one seemed to answer..

GCSEs: 2A*, 3A, 3B, 3C
A-levels: Chem-A, Bio-A*, Maths-A, Phys(AS)-A

My current two choices for Uni are Imperial and Peninsula, would I have a chance at these?

Also, I did 3 days work exp. at southampton hospital last year, am in the process of 2 weeks lab work at Imperial and have 6 weeks research exp. lined up at bournemouth hospital. I may also start volunteer at a care home in the next couple weeks. Is that enough work exp. even though I lack any volunteering until now?

What was your UKCAT score?
Reply 70
HAVE I STILL GOT ANY CHANCE AT GETTING IN?

i got a very disappointing ukcat average score-575
gcse's 9A*s and As in english lit and french
as levels-As in maths, physics, chem and bio
have a weeks worth of hospital work experience shadowing in several scanning departments, physiotherapy, renal care, surgery and a clinic
i volunteer at a residential home once a week
i have only found 3 medical schools that don't look at ukcat-bristol, liverpool and birmingham. I will most definitely apply to these unless i find several others. is there anywhere else? i've heard that ukcat is an intelligence test, does this mean i am simply not intelligent enough to be a doctor???
Reply 71
Original post by 1395
HAVE I STILL GOT ANY CHANCE AT GETTING IN?

i got a very disappointing ukcat average score-575
gcse's 9A*s and As in english lit and french
as levels-As in maths, physics, chem and bio
have a weeks worth of hospital work experience shadowing in several scanning departments, physiotherapy, renal care, surgery and a clinic
i volunteer at a residential home once a week
i have only found 3 medical schools that don't look at ukcat-bristol, liverpool and birmingham. I will most definitely apply to these unless i find several others. is there anywhere else? i've heard that ukcat is an intelligence test, does this mean i am simply not intelligent enough to be a doctor???

there's UCL, Imperial, Oxbridge, Birmingham and Lancaster too.
The UKCAT is NOT an intelligence test. It's a tool used to cut the number of applicants, that's all.
Original post by ViceVersa
What was your UKCAT score?

Haven't taken it yet. But lets say I got what they needed UKCAT/BMAT wise, would the rest of my application (grades/work exp.) stand well?
Reply 73
Original post by myyrh
there's UCL, Imperial, Oxbridge, Birmingham and Lancaster too.
The UKCAT is NOT an intelligence test. It's a tool used to cut the number of applicants, that's all.

It's also a cashcow.
Reply 74
Original post by Zedd
It's also a cashcow.

True but isn't it just for Pearson vue ?
Are my GCSE's too low for Oxford, and are my ums scores too low for Cambridge?

GCSE: 6A*, 3A, 1B
AS: aaaa (Chem = 92%), (Bio = 91%), (Physics = 88%), (Psychology = 97%) (rounded to 2sf)

I'm thinking about doing 4 A2, I don't know if that makes much difference.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Rainbow Clouds
Are my GCSE's too low for Oxford, and are my ums scores too low for Cambridge?

GCSE: 6A*, 3A, 1B
AS: aaaa (Chem = 92%), (Bio = 91%), (Physics = 88%), (Psychology = 97%) (rounded to 2sf)

I'm thinking about doing 4 A2, I don't know if that makes much difference.

Can't comment about Cambridge but you can make up for less outstanding GCSEs with a high BMAT score for Oxford. :smile:
Original post by Vulpes
Can't comment about Cambridge but you can make up for less outstanding GCSEs with a high BMAT score for Oxford. :smile:

How high would I roughly need?
Reply 78
Original post by Rainbow Clouds
How high would I roughly need?

Don't know the specifics, I'm afraid, so I'll let someone else answer that. Wouldn't want to give you an inaccurate answer. :yep:
Original post by Vulpes
Don't know the specifics, I'm afraid, so I'll let someone else answer that. Wouldn't want to give you an inaccurate answer. :yep:

Ok, thanks for the help though! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending