The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
Wales has reduced tuition fees of a similar level to Northern Ireland and this is available to both Home and EU students but you won't be able to benefit from this, or Scottish and Northern Irish fees, for two reasons: a) eligibility is determined by where you live; if you've lived in London for the duration of your degree, you'll be counted as an English applicant and thus ineligible for the grants and, more importantly, b) Student Finance only funds your first undergraduate degree regardless of whether you paid for it through other means or not.

That second one is the more important of the two because it means that, once you've done an undergraduate degree in the UK, you cannot get more money from Student Finance unless you're on one of the exempted courses such as GEM. I'm sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but that's just the way it is, and also why a lot of people are forced to apply for GEM courses instead of the less competitive five-year courses.

Cheers for letting me know about this, I wasn't aware of the Student Finance situation. Looks like I better get saving. That being said, do you know what sort of odds graduates are looking at for getting on a 5 year course?
Original post by EireLDN
Cheers for letting me know about this, I wasn't aware of the Student Finance situation. Looks like I better get saving. That being said, do you know what sort of odds graduates are looking at for getting on a 5 year course?

About the same odds as school leavers, although they would obviously process your application a little differently. I can tell you this though: the odds are certainly less than what you'd get for GEM courses. The most competitive medical school in the past has been Bristol, because it's the only one left that doesn't require an admissions test. For most places, you'd be looking at 10:1 pre-interview and 3:1 post-interview, which is quite a lot better than GEM. :smile: Just keep the finances in mind.
Okay, so you may have recently seen my post which discusses the value of medicine degrees based on university, turns out all within the UK are valued the same!(good for me!)

Now it's just the matter of getting the grades,what do you guys think of this(?):

Predicted GCSE grades:
-Core Science A(aiming for A*)
-Additional Science A(aiming for A*)
-Further Additional Science A(A* if I work harder)
-Maths A( Will get A*)
-English Language A (Achievable, but will take some work)
-English Liteature A(Oh god, no.)
-Computer Science A (Fun subject)
-French A(A* If I work harder)
-History A(A* If I work harder)
-RE half course A (It's a half-course, laughably easy)
-IT, don't take the option but perhaps being entered into the exam. B( ECDL qualification)

A-level options:
-Maths
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Physics

Personally, I've set a target of getting A across 3 out of 4 my A-level options, at a minimum.

I understand that there are more tests(such as UKCAT), but there'll be time to worry about that too.

So, do you rate my chances?(please be honest, no false hope)
I think you know you're good enough lol. I think universities value A-levels over GCSE's anyway.
Original post by noor.m
I think you know you're good enough lol. I think universities value A-levels over GCSE's anyway.

Just want to make sure, medicine is the sort of thing you have to be 100% prepared for, even if you think you're able.
Original post by Mayhem™

So, do you rate my chances?(please be honest, no false hope)

Difficult to say at this point. Not because there's anything wrong with what you've written, but simply because it's all just predictions and speculation. It's just too early to say. It's more useful when you have some hard, achieved data which we can go on.

If you achieve all your predictions and get good GCSE grades, then you're doing well as far as GCSEs go. A*s are obviously better than As, but As are fine too.

Getting three As at A level is not a personal target, it's the minimum entry requirement. So if you're en route for that, then that's good too.

Work experience, UKCAT/BMAT, etc are all years away.

So basically, it's too soon too give you an accurate analysis. The best advice anyone can give at this point is stay focused and try to do as well as you can in your GCSEs.
Those GCSE results should put you in good stead for applying to most med schools.
Remember that it's important to get the grades, but you've also got to be a "well-rounded" individual who has a clear understanding of what being a doctor and working within the NHS is like. You'll also want to get some long-term voluntary work in a healthcare setting, so the sooner you do that the better (I assume you're in year 11?)

Good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Before you've taken your GCSE's is far too early to say. A lot of people applying in my year had all A* and similar A level predictions and just weren't cut out for it.
Also, grades and UKCAT/BMAT are just the first hurdle. If you're serious about applying you will need to go out and find a lot of work experience, to have anything decent to put on your personal statement.
Do you read around your subjects? (i.e. not just the specification, but challenge yourself beyond the classroom?
You can get flawless grades and still not be the right fit - ask again after results day, and research what the course is all about from prospectus' and websites. The 2016 MEDLINK convention would be a good place to start.

Best of luck nevertheless, I hope you succeed.

P.s (if you can write "IF i work harder" up there, then work harder asap)
Original post by Mayhem™
Just want to make sure, medicine is the sort of thing you have to be 100% prepared for, even if you think you're able.

I want to take medicine as well, but I'm currently only a straight B GCSE student yet everyone I know says I have a pretty good chance
Original post by Democracy
Difficult to say at this point. Not because there's anything wrong with what you've written, but simply because it's all just predictions and speculation. It's just too early to say. It's more useful when you have some hard, achieved data which we can go on.

If you achieve all your predictions and get good GCSE grades, then you're doing well as far as GCSEs go. A*s are obviously better than As, but As are fine too.

Getting three As at A level is not a personal target, it's the minimum entry requirement. So if you're en route for that, then that's good too.

Work experience, UKCAT/BMAT, etc are all years away.

So basically, it's too soon too give you an accurate analysis. The best advice anyone can give at this point is stay focused and try to do as well as you can in your GCSEs.

I feel that I can get least this in my GCSE's(with hard work):

Maths A*
Core Science A*
Additional Science A*
Further Additional Science A*
English Literature B
English Language A
French A
History A
RS A
Computing A
Original post by noor.m
I want to take medicine as well, but I'm currently only a straight B GCSE student yet everyone I know says I have a pretty good chance

I see, thanks for the information!
Original post by Mayhem™
I see, thanks for the information!

anytime!
Original post by Mayhem™
I feel that I can get least this in my GCSE's(with hard work):

Maths A*
Core Science A*
Additional Science A*
Further Additional Science A*
English Literature B
English Language A
French A
History A
RS A
Computing A

Well that would be fine. So once you've hopefully got them and your A level predictions and a UKCAT score, then we'll be able to have a better idea of how things stand in terms of your chances.

Until then, it's just all pure speculation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
Well that would be fine. So once you've hopefully got them and your A level predictions and a UKCAT score, then we'll be able to give a better idea of how things stand in terms of your chances.

Until then, it's just all pure speculation.

I see, I'll post this type of thread again in August(results day!:frown::smile:)
Original post by Mayhem™
I see, I'll post this type of thread again in August(results day!:frown::smile:)

Wait until you've sat your UKCAT. Everywhere bar Bristol uses an admissions test so we can't advise you until you've done your UKCAT.

(Also please don't post a third thread on this. Just post in this megathread).
Original post by ForestCat
Wait until you've sat your UKCAT. Everywhere bar Bristol uses an admissions test so we can't advise you until you've done your UKCAT.

(Also please don't post a third thread on this. Just post in this megathread).

Will do, the shared TSR account had a go at me for it:colonhash:
I have 2A*s, 7As and 1B at GCSE and am predicted AAA for my ASs and an A* in A level maths a year early. Is this enough at GCSE to be considered for medicine at somewhere like HYMS/Newcastle?
Look at the entry requirements on the website. It tells you everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cordelia Franz
I have 2A*s, 7As and 1B at GCSE and am predicted AAA for my ASs and an A* in A level maths a year early. Is this enough at GCSE to be considered for medicine at somewhere like HYMS/Newcastle?

Did you complete the a-level maths in one year? Or did you start it during GCSE?
I did my GCSE a year early and then did Additional Maths (the FSMQ), so I had already learnt C1 and half of C2. I don't know if its allowed, but I've heard you can certificate the A level a year after?
I'll be doing the A level in the summer, so I will probably have that grade to put on UCAS.

Latest

Trending

Trending