The Student Room Group

Does anybody know the difference between an MPhil and an MSt?

Basically, the Oxford courses are as follows:

MSt in Modern British & European History

Course Code | 000893

This Master’s programme meets the needs of students seeking the experience of graduate study and research in post-medieval history of the area, including those wishing to prepare themselves for doctoral work.
Research training in historical theory, methods, sources and resources is combined with the focussed study of options which showcase recent historiography and approaches.
This class work parallels supervised pursuit of a research project. Candidates will work towards a dissertation of up to 15,000 words which is to be submitted for examination in late May.

Length of programme: Nine months

Whereas the MPhil:

[h="3"]MPhil in Modern British and European History[/h][h="5"]Course Code | 000895[/h]The joint initial theoretical and methodological training with the MSt in Modern British and European History is enhanced for this degree by a class on the contemporary writing of history in the first year. In addition students expand their contextual understanding by choosing from a menu of thematic options which showcase recent historiography and approaches.
The summer vacation and second Michaelmas Term are set aside for individual research which will feed into work towards the completion of a substantial dissertation of up to 30,000 words which in many cases may form the basis of a subsequent doctoral project.
The writing up of the dissertation during the second half of the second year is supported by a master class in which students have the opportunity to address wider historiographical, theoretical and methodological issues through the medium of their own research.

Length of programme: Twenty-one months

Obviously, I can tell the difference between the course lengths and study programmes, but I was wondering what would be more beneficial?

Naturally, a PhD is a consideration but not a priority.

Thank you :smile:

Reply 1
I would say it depends on what you want to do with the degree. If I was more interested in further study and perhaps research methodology as a career I would go with the MPhil, but if I wanted to be a historian/writer, I would go for the MSt.
Original post by SebLeFeuvre92

There is little or no consistency between the naming of Masters degrees amongst UK universities. So the degree title is whatever the university says it is. For example, because Oxford and Cambridge both award honorary MA degrees to their undergrads a few years after their original graduation, they don't award any academic MA degrees, and often use MPhil instead. Whereas in many universities an MPhil may be awarded in the event of a 'failed' PhD. Relatively few universities award MSt degrees, but Oxford routinely offers the qualification for 1 year Masters degrees, whereas at Cambridge the MSt is the name for their two year, part-time Masters degree.

In summary, don't presume any format from the degree title, you have to read what format that degree has and what academic preparation it gives for each university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending