The Student Room Group

Art vs Bio for Eng

I started sixth form yesterday with the choices I picked last Easter, back then i was uncertain as to whether or not i would do/try for medicine. This resulted in me choosing to do Biology over Art. My choices therefore are Maths (further) chemistry physics and biology at the moment.

I think that since I no longer intend to do medicine (or at least i feel that because i lack decisiveness in choosing to do medicine I may not be committed enough for the whole application process.) I might be better for me to do Art as I enjoy it, find it interesting and it will add more contrast to my timetable so i wouldn't only be doing sciences which might lead me to becoming burnt out. Although I do find Biology interesting too.

HOWEVER *dramatic music* I am wondering if doing art could be potentially harmful to applications to study engineering (civil, process, mechanical etc... i'm not sure which) , particularly at oxbridge. I would hate to threaten my chances by choosing to do what many perceive as a ''soft'' subject.
if you're doing 5 AS's i would probably pick the one you enjoy the most seen as you can drop it before A2 and take maths, FM, chem, and physics which are the main ones you will need for engineering. I also don't think it should affect any applications to oxbridge. as long you get the required grades in your 4 A2's i doubt they would be bothered too much about an AS especially if you will have 4 A2's, however i'm not sure, you can always give them a a call or email the admissions for engineering.
Had you not mentioned applying to Oxbridge I would have said take art, as along with the reasons you've stated it will come in handy for doing design work whereas biology has no obvious link to engineering, however if you're applying to Oxbridge then you may want to take the more academic subject.
(My cousin got into Oxford for Law with art as one of her 3 A2 subjects, but this was nearly a decade ago)
Reply 3
I did politics as my A2 alongside Physics and Maths and got into Bristol for engineering. If you like art then go for it. At the interview you can then discuss how you are good at creativity, maths, literature etc etc. The key with A-levels, besides picking the ones that are required for your intended course, is showing how what you learnt from them can be applied to all areas of life. That is what I did for my interview anyway...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending