The Student Room Group

Can I do medicine with a B in AS biology?

Right, I've been doing a lot of research, but I cannot find anything that can help me..

I have just started year 13 and in my AS, i got:
Chemistry - A
Maths - A
Sports Studies - A
Biology - B

I am 18 UMS points off an A in biology and I am retaking my practical, which will get me the A I need. My teacher said I should not put my AS grades on UCAS and get predicted an A, but will I stand a chance?

I got 2570 (average of 647) in my UKCAT and I have a fairly good personal statement.

Any help?
(edited 11 years ago)
yes you're fine, unless you're applying to Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by jones94
Right, I've been doing a lot of research, but I cannot find anything that can help me..

I have just started year 13 and in my AS, i got:
Chemistry - A
Maths - A
Sports Studies - A
Biology - B

I am 18 UMS points off an A in biology and I am retaking my practical, which will get me the A I need. My teacher said I should not put my AS grades on UCAS and get predicted an A, but will I stand a chance?

I got 2570 (average of 647) in my UKCAT and I have a fairly good personal statement.

Any help?

I'm not sure how it works exactly, but last year I was told that I had to put all my achieved grades on my application. I guess it must vary from school to school :smile:

Anyway, I got a B in AS Physics last year and managed to get three offers, so I reckon you'll be fine with a B in AS Biology. In any case, if you're predicted an A then that should be enough to get some interviews, regardless of the fact that you got a B, especially considering that you're so close to an A already.

Just to be on the safe side, however, I'd recommend ringing some admissions tutors to see what they think. If you go on university websites and find the number for undergraduate admissions that'll normally take you through to someone who can help.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Ah thank you, that's extremely helpful!

Where did you get offers from? And in your interview, did they ask about the grades? I was told that they are likely just to throw my application away if I put that I got a B.
Reply 4
You will be fine as long as you have a prediction of AAA and a B in the Biology AS (which you do) so all is good :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest