The Student Room Group

Happiest/Saddest/Angriest times of being a football fan?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Happiest: Beating Sunderland 5-1
Saddest: Relegation
Angriest: Most games make me angry so can't pick out a certain incident.
Reply 41
Happiest: Istanbul 2005.
Saddest: Athens 2007 or the FA Cup Final this year.
Angriest: Losing 1-0 at home to Wolves under Roy.
Southgate Euro 96. Obvious which emotion I'm not referring to.
Birmingham fan
Happiest- Millennium Stadium 2002 play off winners
Birmingham 3 - 0 Villa 2002
Wembley 2011 Carling cup champions

Saddest- All the relegations

Angriest- Villa 5 - 1 Birmingham. ouch.
Reply 44
In recent times;

Happiest: Ronaldo silencing the Nou Camp in April

Saddest: not getting past 16 for like 7 years in a row in the champions league was a bummer.

Angriest: seeing messi pip sneider to 2010 ballon d'or
Reply 45
Watford fan myself :wink:

Happiest: Having the Pozzos take over.

Saddest: Having Sean Dyche sacked despite the job he did.

Angriest: Watching bleeding Steve Rushton send off Matej Vydra on stamping on someone when he was fouled rather than was fouling.

It's been a weird few months over here.
Reply 46
Villa fan

Happiest
- Beating Blackburn 6-4 in the second leg of the League Cup semi-final in 09/10 to reach our first final in 10 years.
- Villa 5-1 Birmingham
- The Sacking of Alex McLeish
- Gabby Agbonlahor stretching and saving a Liam Ridgewell header on the line against Birmingham, and then scoring the winning goal up the other end with minutes to go.
- Birmingham being relegated :colone: And the Villa crowd when we heard the news :lol:
- So far this season, it's been a mixed bag, but beating Man City 4-2 was a nice surprise!

Saddest
- I remember being pretty devastated as a young kid when Dwight Yorke left for United, I was only about 7 so it hit me pretty hard :lol:
- Stiliyan Petrov being diagnosed with leukaemia.
- Juan Pablo Angel's final interview before he left. He was close to tears and said that "Villa will always be in his heart". He was another one of my favourite players whilst growing up as a Villa fan, despite him being very hit and miss!
- Olof Melberg leaving, and Martin Laursen being forced to retire through injury the following season. What an almighty pairing those two were.
- Losing 2-1 to United in the League Cup final, it all felt very unfair due to some dodgy decisions and a relatively late goal.
- Missing out on European football to Newcastle on goal difference, on the final day of the 03/04 season. Which was also the same day that Dion Dublin left. Again I was relatively young, everything seemed like the end of the world back then!

...and oh boy, where do I start
Angriest
- The hiring of, and the time spent under Alex McLeish
- When Martin O'Neill walked out on us 5 days before the 10/11 season started
- When O'Neill practically threw a Uefa Cup game by playing a team that consisted of reserves and youth players. I'm all for making the league our main concern, but that was just disrespectful to the club and the fans.
- Birmingham beating us in the League Cup, and then going on to win it!
- A lot of last seasons games, such as against Spurs, Utd, Swansea, City and Liverpool ones, where McLeish practically rolled over and accepted defeat. I had never been so embarrassed to be a Villa supporter. And then when in his interview after one of them said that "we shouldn't expect to challenge teams of their calibre"
(edited 11 years ago)
Not a football fan here, but have you heard of the infamous rivarly between Newcastle and Sunderland? So ridiculous...
Unlike most on here, I'm not a glory supporter, just a Dons fan! So here goes:

Happiest: Otsemobor's goal against Wimbledon, probably the most dramatic goal of this decade so far! And also, when I was 9, and we were 2-1 down to rivals Wycombe, then on the 95th minute, Sean O'Hanlon scores from a great header!

Saddest: Keith Andrews, Jason Puncheon, Jemal Johnson and Sam Baldock all leaving were sad since they were all fan favourites when I was young!

Angriest: Tor Andre Flo missing the penalty against Scunthorpe in the play-offs in our first season back in League One. And it makes it worse that for some reason, away goals doesn't apply in the play-offs, otherwise we would have won. And whenever an opposition player does a fustrating celebration; Gyepes and Donaldson particularly.

And finally, funniest: Adebayor running over to the Arsenal fans after scoring, that takes guts!
Angriest time as a Villa fan is definitely now. The Chelsea game was a disaster, but I expected to lose. Home to Spurs and Wigan really were the worst games I've witnessed as a Villa fan.
Reply 50
Luton Town Fan

Happiest - Winning the Johnston Paint Trophy final 3-2 at Wemberly against Scunthorpe. 5/4/09

Saddest - Losing to AFC Wimbledon in a penalty shoot-out at Eastlands in the Play-off final.

Angriest - The F.A handing us a minus 30 point deduction which condemned us to relegation before the season had even started.
Happiest:

1. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's goal in the European Cup Final. I honestly don't think any English team will ever do the treble again, the game has changed since 1998/99. Once in a Lifetime.

2. Van Der Sar saving Anelka's penalty to win the 2008 UEFA Champions League!

3. Winning the Premier League back from Chelsea in 2006/07 when Ronaldo scored a penalty at the Council House.

4. Being at Wigan and going ballistic when Carrick scored late on to effectively win the 18th Premier League title. We made it official four days later at home and lifted the trophy admist loud chants of "ARE YOU WATCHING MERSEYSIDE?!!!".

5. John O'Shea's scoring a 90th minute winner at Anfield. United went on to win the Championship.

Saddest:

1. Standing in the Stadium of Light after our match trying desperately to find out the City/QPR score ... and then the most gutting, sinking feeling you can possibly imagine. In hindsight I'd have rather we lost that day. I can take the despair, it's the hope I can't stand.

2. The retirement of Eric Cantona after the 1996/97 season. Being a 90s kid immersed in Cantona fever and having no idea he was retiring it brought tears to my little face. Also the fact that I'd just been to my first game a few weeks before, and seen him score what would be his last ever goal at Old Trafford that day.

3. Being knocked out of the 2004 Champions League late on against Porto when Mourinho did his famous little jig on the touchline. Paul Scholes had had a legitimate goal incorrectly ruled out for offside first half, and the free kick that Costinha scored was wrongly awarded, making the whole experience more painful.

4. Losing 1-6 at home to Manchester City last season. I know we were playing with ten men for a long time the weekend after a long European away trip to Romania but there's no excuse for that performance. We made City look so much better than they really were, which hurts. I've honestly seen Sunday League teams play a more proficient 90 minutes than United that day

5. The sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid in June 2009. One of my favourite players since Eric, gone. No more magnificent goals, no more showstopping performances, no more scarf waving and frantically singing Viva Ronaldo. This coming on the back of that depressing loss to Barcelona in Rome, just made it all the more hard to swallow.

Angriest:

1. The 1-0 defeat to City in April. When you're fighting against your local rivals to try and keep hold of your championship, and go there and have ZERO shots on target in 90 minutes it's absolutely ****ing inexcusable. We deserved to lose the title last year, biggest bunch of bottle jobs in Premier League history. I wasn't even angry with City at all the last month of 2011/12, I was just angry with our own team. But I'm over it now!

2. The 2009 Champions League Final. Similar situation to the previous one, going in trying to retain our cup and just completely losing the will to live. If we'd gone there and thrown everything at them, tried our best and come up short I'd have been fine with that - but we played for the 9 minutes, conceeded then rolled over and died. United losing doesn't bother me so much, United surrendering makes me die a little inside. It's not our style!

3. The Glazer family takeover of Manchester United Plc, 2005. I'm not going to get vociferous about this one, I'll go on too long and probably get banned, or sued for libel.

4. The Bayer Leverkusen debacle. Imagine a European Cup Final between Real Madrid and Man United, at Hampden Park, in Alex Ferguson's backyard. It should've been the perfect final, but somehow Leverkusen managed to pull off an upset in the most frustrating of semi-final ties. We battered them 1-1 in the away leg and went out on away goals. We should've scored at least 6 in Germany that night. It just wasn't to be.

5. Basel 2011. We went over there needing a draw to make the last 16, only to get knocked out of the Champions League in the Group Stage. From the CL final against Barcelona, to failing to progress from a group with Benfica, Basel and Otelul flaming Galati - in the space of six months. The climax of a whole bunch of tactical failures and dreadful team selections over the 6 CL matchdays.
Reply 52
remember nearly crying when we beat Sunderland 2-0 to secure our safety in 2008.
Happiest: Chelsea winning the CL.

Saddest: Losing the CL final to the Utd in '08 & England losing shootouts against Portugal in '04 & '06 & Italy last year.

Angriest: '09 CL semi against Barca, Lampard's goal not given against Germany & subsequent 4-1 hammering in the last WC & losing to Corinthians in the CWC final (you don't get many opportunities to even in play in that competition).
Happiest:

Winning the Champions League in 2008.

(Someone mentioned it above, but I also loved watching Ronaldo silence the Camp Nou and clinching the title for Real Madrid).

Saddest:

Cristiano Ronaldo leaving us.

Angriest:

Agueroooooooooooooooo!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
was really happy mid week when we beat Blackburn in the last minute.
Happiest: Arsenal 2 Juventus 0 Champions League 2006. Cant quite put my finger on why I remember that night so fondly. Probably because it was one of the last CL nights at Highbury and the fact that we were just so effortlessly good. Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Fabregas, Ljungberg just running rings around the opposition.

Arsenal 7-0 Everton in 2005. Football as art.

Arsenal 5 Tottenham 2.

Saddest: 8-2 loss to Utd. Humiliating.

Fabregas leaving.

Adams retiring.

Angriest: 2004 vs Utd when we lost the 49 game run, they cheated us badly that day and they knew it. 2006 CL final vs Barca. 2011 CL vs Barca after RVP's sending off.

When Arsenal fans turn on Wenger.
Reply 57
Happiest: Arsenal vs Real Madrid 1-0. Henry scored that brilliant solo goal - loved it. Still remember as if it was yesterday :smile:

Saddest: CL Final loss to Barcelona in 2006 :frown:

Angriest: when United, cheated, and stopped our unbeaten run of 49 games. I don't know if this counts: 2006 World Cup quarter finals: England vs Portugal - I don't know I was so angry; probably because I hated Ronaldo at the time.
:angry: :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Happiest:

2008 Champions League final, the save from Van der Sar and the happiness i felt afterwards will probably never be topped
Although the derby this year with the last minute freekick was pretty damn satisfying.

Saddest:

End of last season, i made the mistake of putting the radio on at 1-2 QPR to hear City score twice in 5 minutes, one of the most incredibly sad and despair filled moments for me as a football fan.
Also, the FA Cup final in 2007 when we played Chelsea off the park (much like we did with Arsenal) and ended up losing to an extra-time goal.

Angriest:

Last Tuesday, that red card against Nani was so incredibly wrong it left me inconsolably angry at football, it wouldn't have been a problem if they'd been playing us off the park, but for us to be playing so well and to go on to lose it like that was absolutely awful.
Reply 59
today was a sad day.

Quick Reply

Latest