The Student Room Group

Science access course

Heyy
I'm thinking of doing a science access course in my local college. At the end of the course I'll hopefully get into pharmacy.
I just want to ask some questions.
First obviously is the course harder than a levels. I did a levels in science and the grades I got werent the best. I've done the a levels twice in biology and chemistry.
Secondly, what kind of work do you do. Do you do essays, experiments etc
Also, how are the exams. Do they have long winded questions.
Reply 1
Original post by ADAOBI123
Heyy
I'm thinking of doing a science access course in my local college. At the end of the course I'll hopefully get into pharmacy.
I just want to ask some questions.
First obviously is the course harder than a levels. I did a levels in science and the grades I got werent the best. I've done the a levels twice in biology and chemistry.
Secondly, what kind of work do you do. Do you do essays, experiments etc
Also, how are the exams. Do they have long winded questions.

I've just finished an access course and start a pharmacy degree in just over two weeks.

I don't know how access compares to A'levels as I never did them. Access courses are very intense though as you only have a year. Mine was in the style of lectures, workshops and labs. There was a lot of self-study involved. Do you have any idea why you didn't do well at A'levels? Access is different, I don't think it is necessarily easier though.

On the course I did we had assignments, essays, assessed practicals, practical write-ups, presentations and exams. However all access courses are different and vary from college to college. Not all access courses do exams and some are more essay based than others (I only did two essays).

Most of the exam questions were shortish, a paragraph at most. The focus seemed to be on accurate and concise rather than essay based answers but again this will vary from college to college.

One thing to bare in mind when choosing an access course is that alot of pharmacy schools will require a certain number of credits in chemistry so make sure the course you do will be considered by universities.
Reply 2
Thank you for your response. Where are you going for university. If I may ask ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending