The Student Room Group

Why is Law at A Level considered to be soft but at degree level considered amazing?

Why is Law at A Level considered to be a soft subject but law at degree level considered to be amazing?

Before anyone says anything, I'm not studying law and I don't intend to, I'm just genuinely curious. :smile:
Some unis prefer you to have no prior knowledge so they can teach you it themselves.
As to why it is considered soft at A level i'm not sure, perhaps sixth forms teach it wrong or something or not the way universities like it.
Because (without commenting on the "amazing" comment) the A level is highly superficial, whilst generally degrees in law aren't (or are, at least, less so.)

Original post by Captain Hindsight
Some unis prefer you to have no prior knowledge so they can teach you it themselves.

Often repeated; never substantiated.
I agree, it simply makes no sense. I suspect the reasons are historic, perhaps A-level law was a doss in the past. Thankfully this attitude is changing with more and more recruiters recognising that A-level law is a difficult and legitimate academic subject.

Some people cite reasons like "uni likes to teach you from fresh" and "degrees are more in-depth" - personally I find these reasons completely unconvincing and they could be applied to any other subject you care to name. It would be completely bizarre if an Economics or History degree accepted you without the relevant A-level.
Original post by jacketpotato
I agree, it simply makes no sense. I suspect the reasons are historic, perhaps A-level law was a doss in the past. Thankfully this attitude is changing with more and more recruiters recognising that A-level law is a difficult and legitimate academic subject.

Some people cite reasons like "uni likes to teach you from fresh" and "degrees are more in-depth" - personally I find these reasons completely unconvincing and they could be applied to any other subject you care to name. It would be completely bizarre if an Economics or History degree accepted you without the relevant A-level.

I don't know what you mean by "the past", but it was a total doss when I took it a year ago.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I don't know what you mean by "the past", but it was a total doss when I took it a year ago.

In what way?
Law A Level isn't particularly rated for the same reason that A Level 'Medicine' wouldn't be: the discipline is too vast, too far-ranging, to be able to represent on a small-scale. There are far too many different skills involved and far too much knowledge required in order to be able to do so; even if you could somehow create something that was intellectually rigourous and very challenging, it'd still contain lots of learning by rote, AND, even if you could somehow engineer it such that the course tested all the required skills, it wouldn't be in substantial or equal measure.

Admissions tutors and employers would likely much rather see you demonstrate the transferable skills in other, more in-depth, purer subjects. Same with Medicine.
Original post by Greatleysteg
Law A Level isn't particularly rated for the same reason that A Level 'Medicine' wouldn't be: the discipline is too vast, too far-ranging, to be able to represent on a small-scale. There are far too many different skills involved and far too much knowledge required in order to be able to do so; even if you could somehow create something that was intellectually rigourous and very challenging, it'd still contain lots of learning by rote, AND, even if you could somehow engineer it such that the course tested all the required skills, it wouldn't be in substantial or equal measure.

Admissions tutors and employers would likely much rather see you demonstrate the transferable skills in other, more in-depth, purer subjects. Same with Medicine.

I don't think this is a good comparison. We are happy to let people practice law after only studying seven subjects for a year on the GDL. The amount of time spent on each subject on the GDL is similar to the amount of time spent studying for a module for an A-level. By contrast medics must study their subject for six years. I am discounting the LPC because it teaches very little substantive law.

You can't study the full range of legal subjects on an A-level but you can get a working knowledge of a few areas. I believe A-level courses choose between Criminal, Contract and Torts. Other subjects have to make the same decisions - obviously you can't study the whole of human History or all the classic texts in a History or English A-level, but you can study a particular period of history or a particular classic text.

Original post by TimmonaPortella

I didn't do A-level law so its difficult for me to comment, but very often I see people come on TSR who find the subject very difficult. The percentage of people getting an A or A* in Law is lower than the average for other subjects.
Original post by pinda.college
In what way?

I can comment only on AQA, though I would expect the scope for divergence to be limited. I have three points to make:

(1) The workload was very small. The total material needed to get 100% UMS in the first module was about 8 rote learned essays; and around half the people in my A level law class at my average sixth form college achieved that score. For units 3 and 4, the material needed to score highly was a couple of A4 sides of names, with a line at most of explanation of each case, with 2 or 3 rote learned essays.

(2) As hinted at in this post, and stated in my post above, the material was highly superficial. Important ideas were just missed out altogether -- one that sticks in my mind is intoxication being bluntly stated to be a "defence" by the official AQA textbook. Generally cases or lines of cases were cited (in the textbook, and to achieve marks in the exam) as absolute authority for a proposition, whereas, actually, there's dispute on the matter.

(3) Importantly -- and here's what I consider the most fundamental difference between A level and degree level study of law -- one does not need to go anywhere near a case to score very high marks at A level. Learning a couple of sides of case names with brief explanations may be a decent amount of challenging work if you have to come to a conclusion yourself on what propositions cases stand as authority for, but if you are given "case x -- authority for y proposition", it's not. I realise that this can be said of all A levels; I say it here (a) as elaboration on the "workload" point and (b) to emphasise the difference between degree and A level law, which is the subject of the thread.

I didn't do A-level law so its difficult for me to comment, but very often I see people come on TSR who find the subject very difficult. The percentage of people getting an A or A* in Law is lower than the average for other subjects.

And the percentage of people scoring A*s and As in further maths is higher than the average.

I suspect that both cases can be explained at least in part by reference to the pool of candidates.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think this is a good comparison. We are happy to let people practice law after only studying seven subjects for a year on the GDL. The amount of time spent on each subject on the GDL is similar to the amount of time spent studying for a module for an A-level. By contrast medics must study their subject for six years. I am discounting the LPC because it teaches very little substantive law.

You can't study the full range of legal subjects on an A-level but you can get a working knowledge of a few areas. I believe A-level courses choose between Criminal, Contract and Torts. Other subjects have to make the same decisions - obviously you can't study the whole of human History or all the classic texts in a History or English A-level, but you can study a particular period of history or a particular classic text.

1. You study the GDL a) having already spent 3+ years studying another relevant discipline to a high level and b) upwards of age 21. You're in a much better position to learn it than a 16 year old.

2. As I said, admissions tutors don't want you to gain 'working knowledge of a few areas'. They don't even necessarily want to see expert knowledge of any areas. They want to see skills that you've picked up and that you are well-equipped to think critically about and do things with legal knowledge.

Subjects such as History and English at A Level are far more skills-orientated than Law in terms of curriculum and are marked as such.
Original post by Greatleysteg
1. You study the GDL a) having already spent 3+ years studying another relevant discipline to a high level and b) upwards of age 21. You're in a much better position to learn it than a 16 year old.

2. As I said, admissions tutors don't want you to gain 'working knowledge of a few areas'. They don't even necessarily want to see expert knowledge of any areas. They want to see skills that you've picked up and that you are well-equipped to think critically about and do things with legal knowledge.

Subjects such as History and English at A Level are far more skills-orientated than Law in terms of curriculum and are marked as such.

You are right that 21-year olds learn faster than 16-year olds but I don't see why this matters. The GDL is still a course that takes small slices of the law, enormously simplifies them and teaches them to people in a compressed timetable. This is the same principle as any A-level you care to mention, all of which are also simplified when compared to the degree. I struggle to see why the principles which apply to every other A-level don't apply to law.

I don't agree that History or English are more skills-based subjects. In terms of analytical skills there is very little difference between applying legal propositions to a set of facts and applying history to answer a given essay question. Looking at an AQA past paper they give you a set of facts, ask you to discuss the parties' liability and then ask an essay question such as "The law on involuntary manslaughter is in need of reform. Discuss". In other words, you need precisely the same skills as you need on a law degree...

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending