The Student Room Group

Changing Course & University, urgent please help!!

Hi,
I've just finished my 1st year at Leeds Met Uni studying Education Studies, and i'm due to go back in a couple of weeks. I chose the degree after failing to get onto Primary Education, because I thought it would be easier to get onto a PGCE.

However, my heart has always been in performing arts, and the degree was for a backup, but now on reflection i'm not 100 percent sure i want to be a primary school teacher, and i'm not enjoying my degree very much. I know i should have thought of this earlier on and applied the proper way through UCAS but the holidays has given me more time to think about it, and i've decided I want to do a drama degree instead, because it's something i'm really interested in, and it still has good job opportunities, a friend of a friend has just become a primary school teacher after the degree enabled her to get on the 'teach first' programme, so it's not limiting.

I realise it would be a lot easier to change course at the university i'm already at, but the performing arts course isn't very good there, i think it's more for directors, also it's a new course so there's new reviews as to what it's like. I'd really like to go to Leeds University or Huddersfield, or maybe York or Sheffield (so i can live at home, i don't mind commuting a bit) and I was thinking about ringing up in the morning to see if they have spaces left in the morning, i've seen that all of them apart from Leeds are in clearing. I don't mind paying the increased fees or starting again because i know i'm really meant to do this degree, but do you think they might consider me with me not having a UCAS application, obviously I had one, but it's expired now. I know I can apply again next year but i really don't want to drop out or wait that long :frown:

help please?
Phone up possible Unis tomorrow morning and explain your situation. You will have to act quickly in order to transfer on to an existing course for 2nd year but it IS possible.
Reply 2
Original post by _Melllll
Hi,
I've just finished my 1st year at Leeds Met Uni studying Education Studies, and i'm due to go back in a couple of weeks. I chose the degree after failing to get onto Primary Education, because I thought it would be easier to get onto a PGCE.

However, my heart has always been in performing arts, and the degree was for a backup, but now on reflection i'm not 100 percent sure i want to be a primary school teacher, and i'm not enjoying my degree very much. I know i should have thought of this earlier on and applied the proper way through UCAS but the holidays has given me more time to think about it, and i've decided I want to do a drama degree instead, because it's something i'm really interested in, and it still has good job opportunities, a friend of a friend has just become a primary school teacher after the degree enabled her to get on the 'teach first' programme, so it's not limiting.

I realise it would be a lot easier to change course at the university i'm already at, but the performing arts course isn't very good there, i think it's more for directors, also it's a new course so there's new reviews as to what it's like. I'd really like to go to Leeds University or Huddersfield, or maybe York or Sheffield (so i can live at home, i don't mind commuting a bit) and I was thinking about ringing up in the morning to see if they have spaces left in the morning, i've seen that all of them apart from Leeds are in clearing. I don't mind paying the increased fees or starting again because i know i'm really meant to do this degree, but do you think they might consider me with me not having a UCAS application, obviously I had one, but it's expired now. I know I can apply again next year but i really don't want to drop out or wait that long :frown:

help please?
Phone the unis offering the course you want to do and check out whether they have any vacancies they can consider you for. To be honest, it's unlikely at this late stage but worth checking out.

If a uni is prepared to offer you a space, then you will probably have to apply through UCAS and you will need a reference from your current uni and a transcript of your marks so far on the course you're on.

If you really are sure you don't want to be a primary school teacher then don't carry on with the degree you are doing now - you will be using up your loan entitlement, and you definitely should not graduate because once you have some unis will charge you higher fees as an "ELQ" student - double whammy as you won't get any financial help either. [The ELQ stands for 'equivalent or lesser qualification' - the last government decided that it was no longer willing for people doing second degrees to have their fees subsidised, so withdrew grant from universities accordingly. As a result, some unis will charge an ELQ student almost as much as an international.]
Reply 3
The guys over me are right, phone the Unis asap and if they have available places, they will accept you. You don't need to have done a ucas application. Check Swansea (I don't know if it offers your course or how good is it), bu I know it has vacances and it accepts people that haven't done a Ucas application. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending