The Student Room Group

What choices are available?

Hello people,

I've just registered recently on TSR mainly because I have a little dilemma on my hands. Basically I'm aspiring to be a medical student, I'm currently studying my A2, however I can't apply to medical school this year as my grades weren't impressive, I underachieved with a B in Chemistry, Biology and Maths and an A in French. Now I have two questions at the same time;

1. With these subjects and grades where could I possibly apply and for what?
If I go to university next year, and find the course interesting I might stick to it and postpone medicine in my life.
(Nobody suggest London Met please :tongue:)
2. I'm considering a gap year to raise my grade in A2 and apply to medical school next year? Do you think this is a good step or otherwise? I'm planning to pass it doing voluntary work, I have a placement in two different hospitals at the moment, if I take a gap year, what else can I or should I do during that time? In other words, what opportunities are available to me during a gap year?
Thank you in advance, and thanks for taking your time to answer me.

Best regards,

John-2012

P.S>It is an urgent decision that I need to take as soon as possible, I would appreciate swift and precise help, and I apologise for being a bit fussy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by John-2012
Hello people,

I've just registered recently on TSR mainly because I have a little dilemma on my hands. Basically I'm aspiring to be a medical student, I'm currently studying my A2, however I can't apply to medical school this year as my grades weren't impressive, I underachieved with a B in Chemistry, Biology and Maths and an A in French. Now I have two questions at the same time;

1. With these subjects and grades where could I possibly apply and for what?
If I go to university next year, and find the course interesting I might stick to it and postpone medicine in my life.
(Nobody suggest London Met please :tongue:)
2. I'm considering a gap year to raise my grade in A2 and apply to medical school next year? Do you think this is a good step or otherwise? I'm planning to pass it doing voluntary work, I have a placement in two different hospitals at the moment, if I take a gap year, what else can I or should I do during that time? In other words, what opportunities are available to me during a gap year?
Thank you in advance, and thanks for taking your time to answer me.

Best regards,

John-2012

P.S>It is an urgent decision that I need to take as soon as possible, I would appreciate swift and precise help, and I apologise for being a bit fussy.

Hi John,

Is it mathematically possible to achieve AAA at A2, perhaps with retakes? If so, work as hard as you can, because this is your best shot at getting into medical school in the UK. Focus on your studies, the extra-curricular stuff like volunteering can wait until your gap year. With the time you free up in your gap year you could work as a healthcare assistant to earn some money and gain seriously useful experience for the application process.

Otherwise, you might run in to trouble as most medical school stipulate that you complete your A Level studies within two years unless you have specific and very serious mitigating circumstances which you can provide evidence for. In this department, you really need to research individual medical school requirements thoroughly using their websites and admissions department emails and phone numbers.

The next option might be to study an alternative course such as Biomedical Science, but bare in mind that transfers during the course are only possible at a handful of universities and are extremely competitive, and that postgraduate entry to medicine is even more competitive than undergraduate entry. When I say competitive I can't quantify that reliably but I would say in the region of over fifty applications for each place, while undergraduate entry is around ten applications per place.

The last option is to study medicine abroad, for example at Charles University in Prague, but I know very little about this area. I don't want to talk about something that I haven't researched but I imagine the problems here are the difficulties associated with living abroad, finance, and trying to secure a job in the UK after graduation.

I hope that helps.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending