The Student Room Group

What to do when you've failed??

Hiii, just thought I'd ask on here as you guys always seem to have all the answers!
I stupidly completely messed up my second year of uni, I basically just didn't do any work and when my results came through they offered me the chance to re-take the year... which I want to do, 'cos I think I can approach it with a different attitude! There were a lot of things going on last year, good and bad and I just got distracted.
So I've enrolled again but can't get hold of anyone to speak to about my options :confused: and its getting dangerously close to term time now.. anyone know how this works??? I'm still getting through emails about year 3 which is frustrating me!
Thanks guys!
At the risk of sounding really stupid, what options do you need to discuss?

From my university experience, and the protocols I'm aware of, it sounds like you've already made your choice. They offered to let you resit, and you've opted to do that - and confirmed by enrolling online.

To advise further, we'd need to know exactly how badly you messed up. How many modules did you take, and how many did you fail? Did you have any condoned passes?

Have you sorted out the practical side, such as student finance, and accommodation?
Reply 2
Well they weren't clear on whether I was re-sitting with or without attendance, also the thing is I'm doing combined honours (for some reason I chose French, which I hated and failed all of, along with one module of my other subject) so I'm wondering whether I'd be allowed to transfer to single honours? Seeing as I only scraped a pass in first year French, I'm wondering if its possible this time around!

Oh yeah, student finance is sorted and accommodation is fine as I'm pretty settled in Manchester with a job and friends and a new house etc :smile:
If you are resitting the whole year, I'd presume you'd be resitting with attendance. Of the four universities that I know very well, you cannot resit more than three modules without attendance.

With regards to single honours, you'd need to contact the department of the module you want to keep. So if it's english and french, you'd need to contact the English department and ask about transferring to single honours this year due to achieving better marks in that. I'd get in touch as soon as you can - phone or email today, because you stand a better chance the earlier you ask. It does sound sensible, so hopefully they'll take that into consideration.

Remember that if you resit without attending, it can affect your student finance, although I can't for the life of me remember the rules. I really don't think that will be the case though, especially if you transfer.

All the best :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah I'll get onto that as soon as possible, it's getting late isn't it!!
Thanks a lot :biggrin:
Reply 5
quick question

I have had to resubmit an essay on one of my 4 modules... passed 3 modules with 2.2's and 2.1's but just missed out on a pass on my 4th module with 36% so they made me resubmit the essay for the 4th module. (just incase i fail this resubmit essay) What are the chances of being asked to resit a whole year (all 4 modules)... i've been told very slim, but can anyone give some other advice on what they think the policiies could be..i have checked and cant find the actual uni policy on this...its the Uni of Greenwich
Reply 6
so basically my question was will i have to redo my whole 2nd year because of losing out on a few % on one out of 4 courses... keep in my i did pretty well in 3 courses and just missed a pass in one course.. or will they just let me go through to the 3rd year
Why don't you make your own thread? Anyway at my university if I was to fail a resit assessment then they would just make me resit all the lectures/seminars the following academic year, whether or not you do it alongside the next year modules or just on its own it down to the university.
Original post by coz1
quick question

I have had to resubmit an essay on one of my 4 modules... passed 3 modules with 2.2's and 2.1's but just missed out on a pass on my 4th module with 36% so they made me resubmit the essay for the 4th module. (just incase i fail this resubmit essay) What are the chances of being asked to resit a whole year (all 4 modules)... i've been told very slim, but can anyone give some other advice on what they think the policiies could be..i have checked and cant find the actual uni policy on this...its the Uni of Greenwich

Original post by coz1
so basically my question was will i have to redo my whole 2nd year because of losing out on a few % on one out of 4 courses... keep in my i did pretty well in 3 courses and just missed a pass in one course.. or will they just let me go through to the 3rd year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending