The Student Room Group

"How much do you lift?" thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reps4Jesus
How much do you bench with the dumbbells?

Posted from TSR Mobile

never really did DB bench press. I stopped benching ages ago and just focused on bodyweight stuff.

But most I've done was 110kg on barbell.
Probably been a year since I posted here... 18 y/o, 83kg, 5'11

Bench: 130kg (DB Press 48)
Dead lift: 180kg
Squat: 160kg

Posted from TSR Mobile
17 years old
6ft 3"
Dead lift 210kg
Squat 160kg
Bench 140kg

Hoping to play rugby/ American football at uni anyone any lifting advice to get there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Htrain250
17 years old
6ft 3"
Dead lift 210kg
Squat 160kg
Bench 140kg

Hoping to play rugby/ American football at uni anyone any lifting advice to get there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Athletes within those sports love doing power cleans. Include them in your workout.
17 years old
6ft 3"
Dead lift 210kg
Squat 160kg
Bench 140kg

Posted from TSR Mobile

5x5 is over-powered. srs.

Yeah, as the guy mentioned, power cleans are great because they require a lot more explosive power in a person which can also be applied to sports like rugby and American football!

Good luck!

And to those talking about the weight they can curl... is it even right to call curling a 'lift'? I bet you the initial key idea of the OP was to see what other people lift in compound movements. #strong
Original post by andrewruss
5x5 is over-powered. srs.

Yeah, as the guy mentioned, power cleans are great because they require a lot more explosive power in a person which can also be applied to sports like rugby and American football!

Good luck!

And to those talking about the weight they can curl... is it even right to call curling a 'lift'? I bet you the initial key idea of the OP was to see what other people lift in compound movements. #strong

cheers
Deadlift: 65kg
Squat: 60kg
Bench: 25kg (really trying to work on my upper body strength!)

I've hit a bit of a brick wall with squats, I've never been able to do over 60kg for 3 reps no matter how often I train. Not sure if this is a psychological thing rather than physical.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Deadlift: 65kg
Squat: 60kg
Bench: 25kg (really trying to work on my upper body strength!)

I've hit a bit of a brick wall with squats, I've never been able to do over 60kg for 3 reps no matter how often I train. Not sure if this is a psychological thing rather than physical.

Maybe, could also be form issues or just an issue with your programming. How long have you been at that weight?

What do you normally do in terms of reps/weights and how often?

If you tell us this we could help advise further.
Original post by Motorbiker
Maybe, could also be form issues or just an issue with your programming. How long have you been at that weight?

What do you normally do in terms of reps/weights and how often?

If you tell us this we could help advise further.

I never used to push myself with squats so usually did 40kg 5x5 then 50kg 5x5 (for about 18 months) but in the last 2 months or so I've been doing 50kg 5x5 then 60kg 3x3. I try to do this at least twice a week, as well as other lower body exercises.

My form is alright but not great, I've got some issues with my hips and my legs are rotated a bit strangely, basically it means for my knees to point forward I have to turn my feet right out (one much more than the other- which leaves me a bit lopsided) it looks a little odd but it's probably fine. I can' go ATG with the 60kg yet, but I think that's more a fear of falling over than a flexibility issue because I can get down that far with lower weight.

By the end of the third set my legs are usually about to give way and it's a struggle to get up from the squat. To be honest I think I might just have reached some sort of naturally capacity that I can't really break through without an intense level of training.
17. I lift 60kg on a normal day, usually something like 5 sets of 3 reps
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I never used to push myself with squats so usually did 40kg 5x5 then 50kg 5x5 (for about 18 months) but in the last 2 months or so I've been doing 50kg 5x5 then 60kg 3x3. I try to do this at least twice a week, as well as other lower body exercises.

My form is alright but not great, I've got some issues with my hips and my legs are rotated a bit strangely, basically it means for my knees to point forward I have to turn my feet right out (one much more than the other- which leaves me a bit lopsided) it looks a little odd but it's probably fine. I can' go ATG with the 60kg yet, but I think that's more a fear of falling over than a flexibility issue because I can get down that far with lower weight.

By the end of the third set my legs are usually about to give way and it's a struggle to get up from the squat. To be honest I think I might just have reached some sort of naturally capacity that I can't really break through without an intense level of training.

Doing 50*5*5 then jumping to 60*3*3 seems foolish. Maybe try doing 52.5*5*5 then 55*5*5 then 57.5*5*5.

This way by the time you get back to 60kg you'll be doing it for 5*5 instead.

If you're doing this twice a week you should continue to make progress beyond this point. We have girls on this site doing over 100kg for 3 sets of 5.
Original post by Motorbiker
Doing 50*5*5 then jumping to 60*3*3 seems foolish. Maybe try doing 52.5*5*5 then 55*5*5 then 57.5*5*5.

This way by the time you get back to 60kg you'll be doing it for 5*5 instead.

If you're doing this twice a week you should continue to make progress beyond this point. We have girls on this site doing over 100kg for 3 sets of 5.

Yeah I should really be going down a notch, It's a bit hard to find any plates that are less than 5kg in my gym so I usually end up going up in intervals of 10 which isn't ideal. I'll try your suggestion when I next go. Thanks for the advice!
Wow, really surprised/pleased...

Hadn't been to the gym in a couple of weeks as it was my birthday weekend and then I was ill. I thought I would have lost quite a bit of muscle and strength, but I managed my usual weight workout - bicep curls, 10 reps of 8kg then 6kg for 3 sets of each. Then quite a few other weight exercises including static curls, upright rose, some tricep work too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HMZX
Haha, thanks for the kind words!

I usually don't have an off-season because fights can literally pop up any time of the year so I need to watch my weight.

Maybe one day I can blow it all on bulking and see what kind of weights I can pull, but until then I don't think I can physically get much stronger lol

haha yeah you do that!
Original post by HMZX
Just turned 17, but have been training for about 2 years now...

62 KG - 5'7
About 10% bodyfat,
Bench - 110KG 1RM
Squat - 140KG 1RM - Bit weak on my squat because I injured my knee last year and so my squats have suffered...
Deadlift - 170KG 1RM

The reason I am so light and low on bodyfat is because I box, so I need to stay in my weight category and can't bulk properly :frown:

aww thats so sad :frown:
Original post by fluctuationsman
aww thats so sad :frown:

Is it necessary to make sarcastic remarks on other people's progress?
Original post by andrewruss
Is it necessary to make sarcastic remarks on other people's progress?

Yep it it when its a mate that you know in real life in question.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 517
End of Year Lift stats

82kg 5ft 10 around 15%

Squat, 140kg x 8 - defo more blessed in lower body genetics than upper

Deadlift, 174kg x 5 (2.5's weren't available) but yeah - Finally managed my 170(+) deadlift :smile:

Bench, 100kg x 8 (Stalled a bit on the bench earlier in the year so I used dumbbells for 2 months variety, when i returned bench was much easier).

Barbell Row 100kg x 5 (Top 3 favorite lifts)

Shoulder Press 60kg x 5 (still not strong i know) Will be working on shoulders in particular over summer

Also found my greatest strength gains were achieved working in 2-3 sets of 5-8 reps, 2+ min rest. Happy to talk about my training exp if interested, Peace
17 years old
6ft 3"
Dead lift 210kg
Squat 160kg
Bench 140kg

Posted from TSR Mobile

**** son you're strong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 519
6 foot 1
Deadlift 50kg
Squat 60kg
Bench 40kg

all 5x5's

Rome wasn't built in a day my friends..

Quick Reply

Latest