The Student Room Group

D Grade in English and want to go to uni

Hi,

My boyfriend has a D grade in English and is considering going University, do you have to have a higher grade for English to get into University?
Thanks
Original post by crystalamason
Hi,

My boyfriend has a D grade in English and is considering going University, do you have to have a higher grade for English to get into University?
Thanks

Was it in English (or English language) or English Lit? I think a lot of universities have minimum Eng Lang requirements, often of a B or a C. He may have to retake the GCSE or talk to specific unis about waiving the requirement. The main concern from unis will be whether he can write a coherent essay - to get a D in English raises serious questions about essay writing capabilities.
Reply 2
I know somebody who is at Teeside university and he has a D in english :smile: he is doing character animation (or something like that :tongue:)
He might be able to go if he resits it, and then just puts his result as 'pending' on the UCAS application. Though he'd still have to enter his original grade.
Usually you need at least a grade C to get onto university courses (sometimes higher) to demonstrate you meet the basic literacy requirements.

It's likely your boyfriend will have to resit his English GCSE to get a better grade.
Reply 5
Thanks for the great advice, I have spoke to him and he said that he got a D in both English and English lit. If he did functional skills level 2 in English would that be an equivalent to a C in English as I have heard that he may be able to do that . X
Reply 6
Original post by crystalamason
Thanks for the great advice, I have spoke to him and he said that he got a D in both English and English lit. If he did functional skills level 2 in English would that be an equivalent to a C in English as I have heard that he may be able to do that . X

Depends what he wants to study and at what uni.

If he wants to do something maths or something science based then a functional skills will probably do at most uni's. If he wants to do more essay based subject they'll probably ask him to resit.

His best bet is to email the admissions department of uni's he's interested in and ask what they're looking for.
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice, he's thinking about doing a games design course at Stafford uni so I will have up try find out the e-mail address for him to e-mail them
Thank you x
Reply 8
D grades are annoying i got a D in maths and an A in english. everyone has there weak points and more flexible universities understand this. GCSE resits are costly and time consuming. contact unis first to see if they will budge if not it only costs £15 to do adult literacy level 2. Mickey mouse qualification gauranteed pass but still shows unis hes co petant. good luck :smile: also alot of unis have their own english tests/courses for applicants
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending