The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, owning your own multi-billion pound company. :p:
Reply 2
euanovsky
what is the highest paid job?

Investment banking would be a pretty good bet for a fresh undergrad.
Reply 3
Knogle
Investment banking would be a pretty good bet for a fresh undergrad.

Yes, there's no other "proper" job out there where you can earn over £50k age 21. For better money there's running your own business, where the elite few will be instant millionaires.
Reply 4
American Corporate Lawyer pays $140k+ straight outa' law school.
Reply 5
Yes - USA is a different story, Law's a better option than Banking. In the UK it most certainly isn't.

Decent IB, front office: Uni yr1, Uni yr2, Uni yr3, £55k, £90k, £150k, £250k, £400k
Magic circle law firm: Uni yr1, Uni yr2, Uni yr3, (CPE), LPC, £29k, £30k, £50k, £58k
Reply 6
euanovsky
what is the highest paid job?

Isn't that a bit of a vague question? It depends on what you mean? Are we talking straight out of university?
in terms of compensation per hour doing the business, you probably can't beat high class prostitution.
American Law firm (office in london) pays their law grads a starting of £39,000 rising to £50,000 in the second year and rising to £87000 by year three - not as high as IB but still significant. Another American firm in London pays a 28 year old corporate solicitor £130,000. Expect long hours working for these american firms though.
Reply 9
CitigroupTrader
Yes, there's no other "proper" job out there where you can earn over £50k age 21. For better money there's running your own business, where the elite few will be instant millionaires.

What about joining a PE/VC firm or Hedge Fund?
Reply 10
digitalparadox
Another American firm in London pays a 28 year old corporate solicitor £130,000. Expect long hours working for these american firms though.

That is really crap, should be a lot more. My friends in American firms in London are on that a year out of law school.
Reply 11
roland
What about joining a PE/VC firm or Hedge Fund?

PE would probably par M&A, Hedge Fund is definitely great money, can make £80k+ in your 1st year, though these spots are very rare, few hedge funds let new inexperienced graduates let loose straightaway, something many aspire to in their late 20s or 30s.
CitigroupTrader
My friends in American firms in London are on that a year out of law school.

It's not possible. No American firm in London pays more than £40,000 to people just out of law school. When you finish law school your not even a qualified solicitor.
Reply 13
digitalparadox
It's not possible. No American firm in London pays more than £40,000 to people just out of law school. When you finish law school your not even a qualified solicitor.

My friend's 22 and on 6 figures - did the American qualification at an Ivy League, followed by the New York Bar Exam, and transferred to London office as Corp Attorney.
CitigroupTrader
My friend's 22 and on 6 figures - did the American qualification at an Ivy League, followed by the New York Bar Exam, and transferred to London office as Corp Attorney.

One of the lucky one to double qualify on the Columbia programme then? :smile:
Reply 15
Which College Got The Hifgest Offers?
Reply 16
grapewine1

Which college got the highest offers? Whast that supposed to mean , which uni grads get highest starting salaries?
Reply 17
grapewine1

Are you reffering to Uni and if so any specific subject? Are we talking about starting salary, if so then I believe its Imperial College that has the highest starting.
Exile
Are you reffering to Uni and if so any specific subject? Are we talking about starting salary, if so then I believe its Imperial College that has the highest starting.

It is a (near) useless figure you know.

You expect Imperial to start high because almost everyone there has AAA at A level, it is based in London and most people there do 4 year long degrees. Not too many go on to do PhDs and become research students either.
Reply 19
President_Ben
It is a (near) useless figure you know.

You expect Imperial to start high because almost everyone there has AAA at A level, it is based in London and most people there do 4 year long degrees. Not too many go on to do PhDs and become research students either.

I agree with that first part , being closer to London goes hand in hand with starting salaries, With places like London Southbank(no offence ment) getting considerably larger starting then quite few other well respected universitys

On the note of Imperial( I am not IC student nor plan to go there) and PhD students though , I am not sure on an stats or anything but I saw a large amount PhD students(in the engineering department anyways) that conduct a large amount of research.

Latest