The Student Room Group

ASDA Student Shopper card!

Has anyone seen these? Sounds like a fantastic idea.

For anyone that doesn't know:

An Asda student shopper card is really two cards: one for the parents and one for students. Both cards are linked together, so parents can add money to the card and automatically top up their son or daughter’s card. Students can then spend the credit on their card on anything they need in Asda stores

https://cards.asda.com/pages/student_card_information
Reply 1
Got one of these a few weeks ago, seem like they'll be really useful when skint and hungry at uni.
Sainsbury's also does the same thing, called Meal Tickets http://www.sainsburysgifts.co.uk/meal_ticket_cards.html
Reply 3
Seems a little...juvenile?
Part of university and living away from home is learning financial independence. If I really ran out of money to the point where I was starving then I would ask for or work for money/ not a supermarket voucher.
Seems like a clever marketing ploy.
Original post by sundogs
Seems a little...juvenile?
Part of university and living away from home is learning financial independence. If I really ran out of money to the point where I was starving then I would ask for or work for money/ not a supermarket voucher.
Seems like a clever marketing ploy.

Not really - my mum likes to send me money occasionally, and as she's not comfortable with online banking, it's the easiest way to send me money. She also likes the idea that I'm spending it on necessities! I'd be spending that money in Sainsbury's anyway, so Sainsbury's aren't gaining from it.
Reply 5
Original post by Origami Bullets
Not really - my mum likes to send me money occasionally, and as she's not comfortable with online banking, it's the easiest way to send me money. She also likes the idea that I'm spending it on necessities! I'd be spending that money in Sainsbury's anyway, so Sainsbury's aren't gaining from it.

I guess if religiously shop at Sainsburys for your groceries then it's effective.
If, like a lot of students, it's not your most convenient supermarket or you have a wide choice of supermarkets then it's not always the most convenient.
Original post by sundogs
I guess if religiously shop at Sainsburys for your groceries then it's effective.
If, like a lot of students, it's not your most convenient supermarket or you have a wide choice of supermarkets then it's not always the most convenient.

That's true - but last year I lived a three minute walk away from a large Sainsburys, so I really did shop there religiously!
Reply 7
i have the asda student card, and iv had it for at least a year, if not 2 i cant remember.

my mum loves it because like a poster said above my mum doesnt like online banking, and shes not overly keen on sending money or a cheque, and if she did it means i could go buy clothes or something instead of food...

so she tops up my card whenever shes in asda, and when im really skint, or feeling down and need a treat ill go to asda and spend it.

but i always tell her when iv spent the money, and what on, out of niceness because then she knows im not waisting it on stuff i dont need...

a few of my mates have now got one since seeing mine, as they thing its a really good idea!
Reply 8
I think it's great. It's probably not something I'm going to use for a weekly shop but I think it would be a good idea to keep a bit of money on it almost as emergency money, when you're really low on actual cash and desperately need something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending