The Student Room Group

Appealing a progress decision- please help me!

Hi, this is a really long story but I hope someone can read through it and give me some advice.

Basically, I did a year of uni back home (I'm an EU student) and then I decided I wanted to study in the UK so I applied and got an offer to study roughly the same subject. But the university didn't allow me to just transfer to second year, so I had to start first year again.
Throughout this year, I had a lot of problems with homesickness, finding friends on my course (I'm younger than my course mates), adjusting to a new city etc which I guess is normal. But by the end of first term, my grandmother passed away which was really hard for me because we were so close. I submitted the extenuating circumstances form and was allowed some extensions for my coursework.
However, I never really managed to get back on track again and started becoming quite depressed but I would just think it was because the death of my grandmother was still quite recent.
I had a hard time during the exams period, and after coming back home for the summer I got anti-depressants from my GP.
Because I failed four modules, I had to come back again during summer to resit them. However, I had some really bad anxiety attacks and nervous breakdowns during that period, and could barely eat, sleep or take care of myself. It was so bad that at some point I had suicidal thoughts, and that scared me because I didn't recognize myself.
Between my first breakdowns and my first resit, there was only three days and I didn't know if I should sit the exams or not, considering I was so mentally unwell and unable to focus. I couldn't ask for alternative arrangements because there was no time. I saw my welfare tutor who said I would have to either defer this year, and sit these exams next year or take them now,and if I fail, be forced to withdraw. Deferring wasn't an option because a lot of the pressure came from me not wanting to be another year behind. My personal tutor told me there was the option of appealing.
So I sat the exams, and meanwhile saw a GP who wrote a medical certificate referring back/supporting to a medical letter I had from my GP at home. I submitted these forms along with an extenuating circumstances form. Today I got my results, and I only passed one resit, and was 6 points away from passing the one I HAD to pass. It also says that I "should withdraw from my programme".

I've been trying to contact my tutor, who is away until tomorrow. I got an e-mail saying basically they've seen my extenuating circumstances, but won't consider them. I don't understand why???
overall the added grades from my modules is 40%, so in that case I have passed. But individually, I'm 6 points short.

So sorry this is so long, but I really need some advice. I can't get hold of anyone and I've already had another breakdown... what do you think my options are? I REALLY don't want to leave, I love what I'm studying and I worked so hard to get here, saved so much money and this has in turn cost me so much money. I feel like I'll never get my degree and I hate myself so much.
Original post by zayna

You are clearly not fit to study at the moment. By your own admission you were not fit after your grandmother died, you were still not fit when you took your exams, you were still not fit when you took your resits and you are still not fit now.

Withdraw from the course and get your health back on track and then start again. At the moment if you fight to start the new academic year you will just be throwing more money away.
Put the idea of being one year behind out of your mind.
Get better and then start from scratch.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
You are clearly not fit to study at the moment. By your own admission you were not fit after your grandmother died, you were still not fit when you took your exams, you were still not fit when you took your resits and you are still not fit now.

Withdraw from the course and get your health back on track and then start again. At the moment if you fight to start the new academic year you will just be throwing more money away.

Original post by Reference Needed
Put the idea of being one year behind out of your mind.
Get better and then start from scratch.

Well even if it had to be next year, this is the course I want to do and the university I want to go to. How would I go about then? Re-apply through UCAS? Ask for university to let me just re-sit the exam next year? Re-applying feels a bit 'unnecessary', because I have already passed all modules I need to except for one. Surely they wouldn't let me do first year again when I already have my grades in those modules? It would be unfair to other people if I got higher grades, it would be like a second chance.
Original post by zayna
Well even if it had to be next year, this is the course I want to do and the university I want to go to. How would I go about then? Re-apply through UCAS? Ask for university to let me just re-sit the exam next year? Re-applying feels a bit 'unnecessary', because I have already passed all modules I need to except for one. Surely they wouldn't let me do first year again when I already have my grades in those modules? It would be unfair to other people if I got higher grades, it would be like a second chance.

You need to discuss with the university what the options are, but most likely take a year out and then start the year you haven't yet completed again. University grades aren't a competition, there is no unfairness on other people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending