The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no they don't ask to see a copy of it, however they do ask you how long you have had it. They may do checks but I don't think they care to much since they get there money either way.
Reply 2
the DVLA and police have access to the database of insurance details, which is how they know if you're not insured. Similarly, if you were insured but disqualified (or never had a license) then police number plate recognition systems would pick you up and eventually you'd get stopped, have the car confiscated and end up in court.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kumori
no they don't ask to see a copy of it, however they do ask you how long you have had it. They may do checks but I don't think they care to much since they get there money either way.

I agree.
They ask about how long you have had your licence and no claims etc, but dont ask to see your licence or anything.
The only thing they ask to see proof of is any no claims you have.
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
They ask about how long you have had your licence and no claims etc, but dont ask to see your licence or anything.
The only thing they ask to see proof of is any no claims you have.

Seriously? They dont ask at all? Who are you insured with if you dont mind me asking :smile:
Reply 5
If you have an accident they check with the DVLA whether the details you gave them are correct, i.e. how long you've had your licence and whether it's clean or not etc. There's a certain element of trust which pays off fine if you don't have an accident, but if you do you're buggered since you'll have voided your insurance and probs be liable to be prosecuted for driving without insurance.
Reply 6
been insured with endsleigh and now im insured with admiral and they never asked.

its probably down to its not there problem, its the police's problem if people are driving without a licence and no one would insure a car with no license they would just drive it. however they ask how long you held one for on your policy, so if you lie its invalidates your insurance, well if insurance would be your last problem if caught driving without one.
Original post by kumori
been insured with endsleigh and now im insured with admiral and they never asked.

its probably down to its not there problem, its the police's problem if people are driving without a licence and no one would insure a car with no license they would just drive it. however they ask how long you held one for on your policy, so if you lie its invalidates your insurance, well if insurance would be your last problem if caught driving without one.

Thanks for the reply, I do have a licence lol, im passed for quite some time now, im just curious lol. Thanks bud
Reply 8
No, they just run you through the system.
Most if not all reserve the right to see your licence/require a copy as part of the terms, but they only tend to do it in the event of an incident/claim.
Original post by PataynaRolaay
Seriously? They dont ask at all? Who are you insured with if you dont mind me asking :smile:

No, they dont ask. They kind of assume that you would be telling the truth about having a licence, as you wouldnt really benefit from telling them lies about having a licence or not. Plus if you didnt have a licence, chances are you wouldnt be getting insurance anyway.
Im with aviva at the minute. The last 2 insurers ive been with have been exactly the same.
They only ask for proof of any no claims you have, as you could easily try to make that one up- to get a lower premium etc.
Reply 11
They only ask when you have a major accident, so they can find a way to not pay out.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
It's not their problem if you lie about having a license or not, and how long you've had it..when it comes to making a claim they'll void your insurance..win win for them!
Some insurance companies do ask for a copy of your license (or license number) and for proof of your No Claims Discount.
Original post by sk88
It's not their problem if you lie about having a license or not, and how long you've had it..when it comes to making a claim they'll void your insurance..win win for them!

I been passed for a year and a half. Im just adding my grandad onto my insurance form as a named driver (it knocks of 1k!) .. I have all his details etc, but if i tell my grandad im adding him on my insurance he's going to think im gonna do something dodgy etc lol it will get complicated. But if i add him, and the insurance dont ask for a licence copy .. Il be fine :smile:

Thats why i needed to know lol
Reply 15
I been passed for a year and a half. Im just adding my grandad onto my insurance form as a named driver (it knocks of 1k!) .. I have all his details etc, but if i tell my grandad im adding him on my insurance he's going to think im gonna do something dodgy etc lol it will get complicated. But if i add him, and the insurance dont ask for a licence copy .. Il be fine :smile:

Thats why i needed to know lol

As long as he's just a named driver and not the main driver/policy holder, that's fine!
Original post by sk88
As long as he's just a named driver and not the main driver/policy holder, that's fine!

Yep, he's named driver .. i just dont want to go asking him to borrow me his licence, he'l ask why etc, and im going to have to explain its all legit (even though it is) .. You know what its like asking an elder for something and having to answer questions and questions etc lol
Yep, he's named driver .. i just dont want to go asking him to borrow me his licence, he'l ask why etc, and im going to have to explain its all legit (even though it is) .. You know what its like asking an elder for something and having to answer questions and questions etc lol

It's not legit for you to add him onto your policy without his permission.
Original post by NutterFrutter
It's not legit for you to add him onto your policy without his permission.

Obviously i am going to tell him lol, but im not going to ask for his licence cause that will make it complicated for him to understand what im going on about
Reply 19
My insurer ask me for a photo of my driving and ask me for a share code anyone can help me with that?? thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending