The Student Room Group

Lancaster Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bexthefish
Yes I think you're right. My doctory-type friends have all said the same as your friend's Dad about reputation not being an issue. By the sounds of things, Lancaster is very up and coming, and although it is young it is right up there among the very best. My other thought with Lancaster is that the 5yr course will be slightly less intense than the grad course (in the 1st couple of years anyway), allowing me more time to earn money. Being at Liverpool would mean being away most of week and working away at weekends too. Doable but tricky. It's an honour to have the choice but blimey it's hard work! I change my mind every day! I hope I'm not this indecisive when I'm a Doctor...

Hello Doctor Indecisive, just for curiosity, have you made your final decision?
Original post by Timewilltellu
Hello Doctor Indecisive, just for curiosity, have you made your final decision?

Yep... Lancaster!! Can't wait
Original post by Eleanorgrace22
Do Lancaster consider students resitting AS modules?

I am resitting a couple of my modules from year 12

I will have completed my A-Levels within two years
Also do I have to put resits (as pending) on my UCAS form?

From Personal experience I can tell you Yes :smile: I've just had an offer from them and I re-sat two of my AS modules (F211 OCR Bio, F322 OCR Chem). They don't even ask about resits, and you don't have to put your modular scores down when you apply on UCAS. As long as your predicted A2 grades are AAA and your personal statement + work experience are good you'll be fine! EDIT: With regards to your resits talk to someone at your college/contact UCAS, it's usually if you've already re-sat the module and are waiting on a result from the exam board that you put "pending" but I imagine if the grade you put down won't be reflective of what you'll achieve at the end of the two years it can be justified. Like I said they look more at your predicted A2 grades, and if your AS scores are say BBC and your predicted results are AAA they'll most likely assume you're resitting some modules anyway!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 503
Does anyone know anything about the immunisations we are required to get? There doesn't seem to be any information in the letter/student agreement...
Hey guys. Good luck on starting at lancaster. Do Lancaster now provide their own mbchb or is it awarded from Liverpool uni still?
Hiii...congratulations to anyone who have the offer at Lancaster! I just have a quick question (which is probably going to make me sound really dumb! :wink: But has anyone applied for their finance? And if you have, did you put down the A105 course at Liverpool as I couldn't find the medicine course on the site for Lancaster?
Reply 506
Original post by SooryaSunil
Hiii...congratulations to anyone who have the offer at Lancaster! I just have a quick question (which is probably going to make me sound really dumb! :wink: But has anyone applied for their finance? And if you have, did you put down the A105 course at Liverpool as I couldn't find the medicine course on the site for Lancaster?

Hi.. I have firmed them, and the student finance at first indicated it was Liverpool however after a few days, the actual course at Lancaster was corrected by them! So just give it abit of time! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 507
Original post by lucky20
Hey guys. Good luck on starting at lancaster. Do Lancaster now provide their own mbchb or is it awarded from Liverpool uni still?

They have their own!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MsMG1994
They have their own!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i thaught so, its based on the liverpool course so has pedigree if you get what i mean. lancasters a good uni on the whole. i heard the annual intake is round 50?
Reply 509
Original post by lucky20
i thaught so, its based on the liverpool course so has pedigree if you get what i mean. lancasters a good uni on the whole. i heard the annual intake is round 50?

Yes they have around 50 intake per year
hey, just made a group so we can all join :smile:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/457870454292136/
GCSE`s : 4A*, 4A, 2 B`s 2 C`s (A* maths, B english lang)

AS Level predictions: AAA, might fall in bio and get AA + high B? Taking an extra AS Level during year 13, will this put me at a disadvantage for not doing it during year 12?

A Level predictions: AAA and a B in the AS Level

Work exp in a clinic, volunteered as a tutor, involved in mentoring a year 8 pupil in school, volunteered as a retail assistant in a local charity shop.

Still looking to get a place in volunteering at St. John Ambulance and a carehome/hospice. I have dementia work placements arranged but haven't conducted it yet. << so this isnt something i definitely have to put on my PS

Going to imperial for bio-med summer school or doing the nuffield bursary 4-6 week research project < Both overlap so I have to choose one or the other which one would look better on an application?

any ukcat cut off?

My chances of actually getting into lancaster?

Be honest!
Bet of luck to everyone for your's results tomorrow.I hope everything goes well for you guys.
Does anyone know Lancaster's policy on resits? So if you want to resit some modules after the A2 year.
Hey, what are my chances of getting into this uni?

top 9 gcse`s: 4A*s, 4As and a B inc English lang (B), Maths (A*) triple award science (A*A*A)

all gcse`s : 4 A*s, 4As 2Bs 2 Cs

AS Results: A(90%)A (90%) and a high B, Maths, Chemistry and Biology respectively
Taking an extra AS (economics) during year 13 (currently)

A2 predictions A*AA (b for economics) or AAA(b)

UKCAT 702.5 average, 530 in VR, 720 in AR, 810 in DA, 750 Qant and Band 1

My personal statement is really good and has been complimented but still I need to cut out 300 characters so hopefully cutting out stuff doesnt make it worse

If not any other uni`s i should consider or avoid? im also considering leeds, Leicester and Manchester/liverpool
Is this school still under GMC review? Anyone an international student currently at this school? If you are, do you know the criteria or process on how long it takes for a new medical school to be added onto IMED (international medical educational directory) after graduation ? Anyone from Canada who is currently attending?

Upon GMC approval in the fifth year as a primary medical qualifier, are students able to apply for GMC registration

Anyone have feedback on UCLAN - They are introducing a medical program this year for 2014 sept - currently under GMC review?

I'd like to know if anyone knows once a school is GMC approved, the process/or time it takes to be added to the international directory where students are than able to apply back home.
Hi :smile:
Does anybody have any idea if the school you get your A-Levels from would make any difference to admissions? I'm in year 11 right now and have an offer to either stay on at my comprehensive secondary school and study a-levels or do the same a-levels at a grammar school. Would the school I achieved the grades from make any difference? Do they favour grammar schools or is it better to come from a school with a lev3 ofsted report and is the epitome of average? I'm hoping to study medicine if this makes a difference.
Thanks!
Reply 517
Original post by maazmania
i know you guys are probably tired of people asking "am i good enough to get in" but i'm gonna ask anyway :P my gcse's are 4A*s 7As, my AS grades are...
chem-B.
French-A
Maths-B
Biology-A
however i am predicted 3A's in bio, chem and maths. I did my ukcat today and it was not good, 2450 (612.5 average) D: I have lots of work experience, i've been to 3-4 hospitals each for 2 weeks and i've volunteered at a care home for a year. My personal statement is pretty good (according to my tutor and other teachers) and i have a decent reference. I know my ukcat lets me down but do you reckon its worth me applying or would i get rejected straight away? any help would be much appreciated!

Your as stats aren't great but gcses are decent-remem you r at same position as someone with 10astars due to scoring system.be weary of what people say-they might tell you not to apply bcause less competition for them.r u a. Boy or girl out of interest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending