The Student Room Group

How do you get the car home if it has no tax?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Camoxide
If you get your tax disc at the post office will you still get pulled over? Or do they update the data base when you buy the disc?

If caught on ANPR they may do a tug but on seeing the tax disc you have just got from the PO they will let you go
Original post by JO53PHS
You can tax the car with the green slip you receive when you purchase the car.

You'll get the disc through the post if you buy it online. If you get stopped before receiving it I'd assume most half sensible police officers would let you off not displaying it, since it should appear as taxed on the system. If you buy it at the post office you get the tax disc there and then - you'll need the V5 or green slip, valid insurance and MOT (if applicable)

You can't drive without a valid tax disc unless you renewed the tax before the end of the previous month, it is less than 5 days into the current month, and you are still displaying your old tax disc. If you don't renew online before the end of the month when the tax runs out, you need to either not drive or tax it at a post office. Police officers can use their judgement, but you would need one that is having a good day, anyone who does things by the book or is having a bad day can and will fine you.

At a post office you can tax it with the V5C (full document or V5C/8 - green slip new owner is given), along with the insurance certificate and MOT certificate.

Original post by JC.
Sorry but this is a load of *******s.

They ONLY time it is legal to drive a car with no tax is to and from a pre booked MOT test.

Oh, this as well - or if you are driving to or from a pre-booked appointment at a place of repair (to pass an MOT).

Original post by Runninground
But I have paid the deposit for it. When I pay the rest, i'll be taking it home. I won't have time to tax it because when I pay for it, i'll get the green slip then, which is also when I am going to take it home...

I can't pay for it, then come home and tax it, then go back to drive it home. That would be three round trips in total and it's quite far away. :s-smilie:

I hope that you do have MOT and insurance. If so, once you have the car, walk to the nearest post office, tax it - then you can drive it home.

Original post by Camoxide
If you get your tax disc at the post office will you still get pulled over? Or do they update the data base when you buy the disc?

Database is updated when you buy the tax disc, and you have the actual tax disc to prove you have tax.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
I'm going to be taxing my car tomorrow for the first time, checking this site, will the people at the Post Office be able to work out the price or will I need to provide it to them and if I do, is the information regarding g/km on the V5 document?
Original post by Aky786UK
I'm going to be taxing my car tomorrow for the first time, checking this site, will the people at the Post Office be able to work out the price or will I need to provide it to them and if I do, is the information regarding g/km on the V5 document?

The post office will be able to work out the price - the information will be held on the V5C and by the DVLA (which the post office can access - using the database this service accesses I guess)
Original post by hmk
Man up and drive it home.. just don't drive like an idiot and you won't get stopped. Even if you do get stopped, you have a pretty good excuse so not much would happen.

I forgot to renew my tax disc last year and drove around (long distances) for 3 weeks until I finally remembered.. nothing happend.

If you drive past a police car you are screwed- they now have technology in the cars that can read the licence plate and straight away it will tell you if someone is driving without TAX or Insurance.
Do a Del Boy and stick a note saying tax in post on the windscreen.
Reply 26
If your buying it from a dealership, the dealership can tax it for you so you can drive it home? This is what the dealerships have done with every car I have ever bought.
Reply 27
Wth just tax it on the day, it's not a complicated procedure. Just pop into a post office and present your documents...
Reply 28
Finally, does it matter the date of when you renew it? My dad's suggesting it's better to do so at the start or the end of the month? Any overt benefit of doing so?
Reply 29
I've renewed my tax disc online, as I'm unable to get to a Post Office till next week. I wasn't planning on driving it till I get my tax disc but would I be OK to do so? Or best to wait till my disc comes through.
Original post by Aky786UK
I've renewed my tax disc online, as I'm unable to get to a Post Office till next week. I wasn't planning on driving it till I get my tax disc but would I be OK to do so? Or best to wait till my disc comes through.

You will show as taxed on ANPR, but if you got stopped by the police for any reason, you could get an £80 fine for not displaying the tax disc.

Quick Reply

Latest