The Student Room Group

TSR Computer Science Society

Scroll to see replies

I'll be joining :smile:
Reply 21
Unfortunately, a mod has declined the "TSR CompSci Soc" on the grounds "The Tech Society already exists." :dontknow:

Imo, it seems that the mod who declined this doesn't quite realise that the tech society and compsci society will serve very different purposes (hopefully the second post in this thread explains why). So, um yeah, I'm gonna post in AAM in a minute to see if I can get the decision overturned - just keeping you guys updated :smile:

Soo what (education) level are we all at? :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by LogicGoat
Unfortunately, a mod has declined the "TSR CompSci Soc" on the grounds "The Tech Society already exists." :dontknow:

Imo, it seems that the mod who declined this doesn't quite realise that the tech society and compsci society will serve very different purposes (hopefully the second post in this thread explains why). So, um yeah, I'm gonna post in AAM in a minute to see if I can get the decision overturned - just keeping you guys updated :smile:

Tell them that a CompSci says if computers/integrated circuits were never invented then the tech society would have no reason to exist, whereas the compsci society still would.

Completed my BA.
Reply 23
You can all join HERE!

Illusionary has kindly said we can try it and see if it generates any significant level of activity. So basically don't let the soc die :ahee:

Spoiler

Reply 24
Somewhat interested :beard:
Reply 25
Shall be joining the society, this looks like it could be very interesting :wink:
1)Is it possible to read and understand a 200 page book about C++ before September 26?
Kinda got distracted :tongue:

I'm feeling rather optimistic that I can do it, would like to know if actual computer scientists can do so....

2) wondering if I can technically join this society despite only doing two modules

1) It's a lot to take in, in that time frame but it's possible, depends if you know any other programming languages well. I'd recommend 'The C++ Programming Language' by Bjarne Stroustrup, or if you prefer web tutorials: http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

This website is also a good reference for C++'s standard library: http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp

2) Don't see why not. :smile:
Reply 27
Here's a nice logic puzzle :smile:

An urn contains 23 white beans and 34 black beans. A monkey takes out two beans; if they are the same, he puts a black bean into the urn, and if they are different, he puts in a white bean from a large heap he has next to him. The monkey repeats this procedure until there is only one bean left. What colour is it?

(Anyone who's looked at the oxford compsci interview questions will probably be familiar with this)
Reply 28
Here's a nice logic puzzle :smile:

An urn contains 23 white beans and 34 black beans. A monkey takes out two beans; if they are the same, he puts a black bean into the urn, and if they are different, he puts in a white bean from a large heap he has next to him. The monkey repeats this procedure until there is only one bean left. What colour is it?

(Anyone who's looked at the oxford compsci interview questions will probably be familiar with this)

What's the solution?
Original post by Jooooshy
What's the solution?

Spoiler

On something unrelated, I must bring the society's attention to some exciting news: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/sep/10/alan-turing-monopoly-board-google
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ukdragon37

Spoiler

On something unrelated, I must bring the society's attention to some exciting news: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/sep/10/alan-turing-monopoly-board-google

Wow thanks for the solution, I've seen the problem before but I never though about the number of beans of each colour and the effect the actions have on the number of bean :biggrin:

Also, if you don't mind me asking where did you study your degree at ? :smile:
Original post by MrNeilPatel
Wow thanks for the solution, I've seen the problem before but I never though about the number of beans of each colour and the effect the actions have on the number of bean :biggrin:

Also, if you don't mind me asking where did you study your degree at ? :smile:

You're welcome. :smile: I am currently studying at Cambridge, going on to my fourth (Masters) year. I only say that I have a degree because I could have graduated if I liked, but technically I haven't yet.
You're welcome. :smile: I am currently studying at Cambridge, going on to my fourth (Masters) year. I only say that I have a degree because I could have graduated if I liked, but technically I haven't yet.

Awesome man :biggrin: I'm looking to do a Masters Course when I go university aswell ( Imperial is my first choice :biggrin: ) May I ask one thing about the industrial placement, did you get to choose where you wanted to go to or did your teachers put you into places where they thought you did your best ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Awesome man :biggrin: I'm looking to do a Masters Course when I go university aswell ( Imperial is my first choice :biggrin: ) May I ask one thing about the industrial placement, did you get to choose where you wanted to go to or did your teachers put you into places where they thought you did your best ?

There is no industrial placement at Cambridge. You are instead encouraged to take internships during the holidays, which allows you to take a path entirely devoted to research if you wished.

From the information I gathered from Imperial when I applied however, it seemed to me that it's up to you to find and arrange the place you are going to go, although the university could aid and advise you.
Reply 34
I will enjoy solving the project euler and bio problems here.
Reply 35

Spoiler

Nice work :biggrin:

I need to get that :awesome:
There is no industrial placement at Cambridge. You are instead encouraged to take internships during the holidays, which allows you to take a path entirely devoted to research if you wished.

From the information I gathered from Imperial when I applied however, it seemed to me that it's up to you to find and arrange the place you are going to go, although the university could aid and advise you.

Oh sorry my mistake, I thought all universities that had a Masters Degree, meant that you had to have an Industrial Placement. So, does that mean that you continue to learn for 3 years with a project in the final year or 4 years ?
Oh sorry my mistake, I thought all universities that had a Masters Degree, meant that you had to have an Industrial Placement. So, does that mean that you continue to learn for 3 years with a project in the final year or 4 years ?

Yes you just learn continuously. However at Cambridge there is a group project in second year, a bachelors dissertation in third year and a masters dissertation in fourth year. All three are projects spanning over two-thirds of the year, although only the masters dissertation requires original research.
Yes you just learn continuously. However at Cambridge there is a group project in second year, a bachelors dissertation in third year and a masters dissertation in fourth year. All three are projects spanning over two-thirds of the year, although only the masters dissertation requires original research.

Wow, I've got to admit that is pretty awesome :biggrin: I was thinking of applying to Oxbridge, particularly Cambridge but my UMS average isn't too high ( around or higher than 85 UMS) so i don't think i'll apply anyway :frown:

Also, could I ask a question about your PS; I'm currently struggling with the structure of mine and would like to know the best way to structure it; I've got all the information together I would like to note; but could you please suggest a good way to structure it. Sorry, if I'm asking for too much :P
Also, could I ask a question about your PS; I'm currently struggling with the structure of mine and would like to know the best way to structure it; I've got all the information together I would like to note; but could you please suggest a good way to structure it. Sorry, if I'm asking for too much :P

There is no right or wrong way. To get advice you should submit your PS to the PS Help service on TSR and there will be a helper assigned to you to work over your PS.

Also there is the PS Library for you to get an idea of how to write one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending