The Student Room Group

Is it illegal to smoke in a bus shelter/stop

Scroll to see replies

If I will ever get a criminal record it will be for lousing it with a smoker… whether it is legal or illegal you it is bad manners to smoke around a non-smoker (and by that I mean stand well clear of anyone walking by and downwind from anyone stationary and at least 5m away from them... if you don not it is rude and you are asking for a reaction).

Just think abut it, if you were waiting for a bus, and some one vomited all over you on purpose… what would your reaction be??? It is the same when ypu smoke around someone.
Reply 61
Just had a similar thing happen at bus stop guy asked his mate for a light and stood away from stop and woman behind us starts that's illegal it's not allowed in a bus stop actually I told her it's not allowed in a place that is 50 percent covered this stop has a roof and 1 wall there for if he wishes to stand there and smoke then he can to which she says that's a ridicules argument your obviously a smoker I'm not I'm a cancer patient you've probably no idea what it's like we'll no my dear a non smoker have had cancer and have lost family to the horrible disease but can't stand people who get on their high horse and blame smoking for everything you don't need to smoke or be around smoke to get cancer it's **** but it happens for no reason
If you steal a chocolate bar from Sainsburys and no one sees you or it doesnt affect anyone negatively - it is still a crime and wrong.

The point is that everyone must adhere to the smoking law at all times... Ive came to a bus shelter many times and found someone smoking - sometimes id just stand outside and feel pissed off, but now i stand up for myself ..to this day ive confronted many people big or small...and i think we should all stand up to rude ignorant smokers.

As a smoker and non-smoker i respect peoples right to clean breathable air. Id never dream of smoking in a bus shelter , i even feel aware of others when i walk and smoke ( which i dont do anymore )

Smoking is an embarassing habit, and its our duty to make smokers feel really bad about their stinky clothes and air polluting habit.
(edited 7 years ago)
God dam smokers spreading cancer like black rats.
Reply 64
He was OTT, though I'd always stand up as if I'm leaving if someone looked like they were planning on using it.
Reply 65
I'm 29 and I think it's very offensive to smoke at the bus stop forcing other people to passively do the same. I can't stand the smell of cigarette myself but my child gets upset, starts coughing and her eyes turn red quickly so here's what I do: if I am waiting for my bus and a smoker joins in, I might ask them politely not to smoke here -they usually apologise and walk away from a bus stop for the time of smoking. If I'm the one coming to the bus stop and someone is already smoking, I really don't mind keeping a distance and waiting away from the bus stop. Now, when I have my child with me, or there is any other child around, I really struggle to understand how would anyone dare to lit a cigarette/continue smoking around them. I recently asked a group of teenagers not to smoke since I don't want my child to be breathing it in and she finds the smell offensive. First they laughed. I then explained it was illegal to smoke at the bus stop and a few other people backed me up. I then said I don't think it should be all us waiting in the rain since it's them who chose to smoke and they eventually walked away. I want to make it clear, people refrain from smoking for a reason -is us unhealthy and smells bad. Being a passive smoker is even worse for you. Why would you want to make others breathe this crap in just because you do so? People complain because you smoke next to them, not because you sing and it irritates them :wink:) Now, dongonageatu: if the guy who complained to you just came up to tell you you can't smoke there, even though he wasn't waiting there for a bus, he was probably just trying to be a pain and he wasn't right. You weren't interrupting anyone.
Really annoys me when i find people smoking inside the bus stop despite the non smoking sticker. The smoke lingers on even after the smokers leave the bus stop. I am very sensitive to strong smells and smoke makes me choke. It's really selfish of people with all sorts of addictions to put their co-passengers at risk.
it should be.
Original post by Skeletonclique21
it should be.

Thread is 5 years old. How the hell do you even find those things?
Original post by Andrew97
Thread is 5 years old. How the hell do you even find those things?

It came up on the side bar thing no clue why never even realised how old it was or i wouldnt have replied 🤷🏻*♀️
There should be signs posted that say no smoking. I think it is illegal.
Reply 71
I get seriously peeved when people smoke in bus shelters. My younger brother is severely asthmatic. Any cigarette smoke can cause a potentially lethal attack. He's ended up in hospital I don't even know how many times because he's had an attack so severe that he's needed serious drugs to save his life. You smoke in a bus shelter? Get out. You could kill someone. Or result in an innocent person being sent to hospital. If you must smoke, do it outside.
Reply 72
See The Joy of Winning on BBC iplayer and consider:- I know I should not smoke here but I want to so I will (WIN for me, LOSE for the society that wants to stop me)- Every smoker decides they will ignore no smoking signs (WIN for smokers, big LOSE for society with unpleasant smell, increased fire hazards, more cancer risk from passive smoking)Whether it is a crafty fag, dropping litter, not picking up dog poo, riding bicycles on the pavement, dealing drugs or a myriad of other small

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending