Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Motorway Lessons?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I pass my test I am thinking about asking my instructor for a couple of motorway lesson. Did anyone else do this, did it help or is it better to bite the bullet aand go it alone?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ADI or a good friend who is experienced and calm are both good ideas

Remember that a dual carriageway is potentially more dangerous than a motorway

Around here we are lucky because the A46 leicester west by pass dual has the same sort of slip roads as a motorway so coping with that dual means its dead easy to do the motorway
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't advise going alone, especially if you're a bit nervous/anxious. I went with my bf a few times to help me gain experience and learn how to safely and efficiently use it, then I bit the bullet and went on my own. Go with someone that has experience with motorway driving, and someone that is calm and collected

(Original post by ROG.)
    ADI or a good friend who is experienced and calm are both good ideas

Remember that a dual carriageway is potentially more dangerous than a motorway

Around here we are lucky because the A46 leicester west by pass dual has the same sort of slip roads as a motorway so coping with that dual means its dead easy to do the motorway
    How so?
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did

Very useful

Mainly because I was concerned about getting onto the motorway

1 lesson was enough
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had two hours of motorway tuition and thought it was brilliant. For the first half an hour, I was like "Should I be looking to overtake this lorry now?" "Should I pull back in or stay out to pass the lorry up ahead?" etc. But then for the next hour and a half the instructor barely had to speak as I just drove along and overtook etc. as I saw fit. After the lesson I felt really at ease and 5 days later did a 200 mile trip with no problems. I'd recommend the AA.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJP)
    I had two hours of motorway tuition and thought it was brilliant. For the first half an hour, I was like "Should I be looking to overtake this lorry now?" "Should I pull back in or stay out to pass the lorry up ahead?" etc. But then for the next hour and a half the instructor barely had to speak as I just drove along and overtook etc. as I saw fit. After the lesson I felt really at ease and 5 days later did a 200 mile trip with no problems. I'd recommend the AA.
    I agree,

I was always a very confident driver...

However the only reason I took motorway lessons is because it's the only way I can drive legally lol! I needed my fix of driving, I can't afford a car + insurance so I thought, **** it, two hour lesson won't do any harm!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Changing lane to the right, check your right mirror and blind spot. Changing lane to the left check your left mirror and blind spot.

Generally stay left if you can. Dont let yourself get stuck behind a lorry with people over taking you. Simply put. Dont drive only thinking about whats 20 foot infront of you.

There ya go. 60 quid saved.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    How so?
    What is not allowed on a motorway that is allowed on a dual carriageway?

Once you answer that then all will become clear
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did a 2hr motorway lesson with my ADI about a month after passing my test then drove from Cheltenham to Manchester alone a few days later! Motorways are easy once you've done it the first time but is definitely take someone experienced with you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 12, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.