The Student Room Group

confused

hi guys
i am currently studying a bsc in childrens nursing and it is really not what i expected.. cut a long story short i really want to do something else but want to finish this degree first and then choose a masters in something else.. how do i know what the career for me is?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
You don't know what career you want to do so you think we will know what you want to do?

Research, read, get involved.
Only you can answer that! :smile:

Take a look at all the MA's that you may be eligible for and then read up on them until you find something that interests you.
Reply 3
i wanted to know if there were
sites that can help identfy careers... im not asking u to tell me what i should do.

Reply 4
Original post by ThatSh!tCray
Only you can answer that! :smile:

Take a look at all the MA's that you may be eligible for and then read up on them until you find something that interests you.

ok thanks
can u do a masters in something completely different and still work in the new field ??

Original post by Hunny1234
ok thanks
can u do a masters in something completely different and still work in the new field ??

I think you have misunderstood what a Masters actually is.

It is an opportunity to extend your knowledge and understanding of a chosen subject. Very few lead to jobs and very few will give you an employability edge that's worth the substantial fees.

It is not an easy means to convert a unsatisfactory or unsuitable first degree into something you fancy better.

You will be better of going directly into a job that gives you an opportunity to move towards something you'd rather do.

Childcare is quite broad and would give you opportunities in education, social work, child development work, etc...some of which would require further training or apostgraduate qualification. But 'doing a masters' is not the easy shortcut you make it out to be.

I don't know what your reasons for not wanting childcare any longer are but the obvious thought would be an early years PGCE or social work training.
Go and talk to the Careers Service at your current Uni and ask for their help. There are lots of online questionnaire thingeys that can help you identify what you are good at or interested in that can help you identify specific areas of work.

You do not need a Masters course to get a job. Just taking a Masters course in 'something' because you hant got a clue what else to do isnt a good idea. Sort out what you want to do with your life first.
Original post by Hunny1234
ok thanks

Yes you can! It REALLY depends on what MA it is and what grade you get for your final degree. AND WHAT the MA wants from you. It is different with every University, I don't think there are many different things you would be able to do, but it is worth a look because there will/and should be different choices other than what you're doing now. :biggrin:

I'm in 2nd year studying after changing my college choices and uni degree. I'm not happy with what im doing now but I refuse to quit because it's a waste of time and my money now.

Good luck!
Reply 8
thanks for all the replies guys!

Quick Reply

Latest