The Student Room Group

Keele university ticks all the boxes but...

I have always wanted to go the Keele University; I was pretty set on that since I've started looking at university & upon visiting the campus I loved it...the community feel, the union, the teachers etc!
I would like to study Psychology & this is what I'll be taking as a single subject in my other applications. Psychology at Keele is dual honors though, so if I'm honest I'm looking for another subject that will suit me so I can do that in combination with Psychology...I'm just so unsure of what to do.
Should I continue looking at their courses on offer to do in combination (I was originally looking at Education Studies..but I've pretty much disregarded this, I also looked at media communications and culture as an interest of mine to study photography/literature but many people frown upon media subjects :confused: so I've been looking at English or perhaps criminology?) with Psychology at Keele or shall I look elsewhere & continue looking for other universities? I just like Keele so much but I need to be happy with my course :frown:
English.

Unless you have a very clear career aim, the other options are too focused or sound a bit Mickey Mouse. A solid degree in Psychology & English will impress any employer and be more useful in the long run.
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
English.

Unless you have a very clear career aim, the other options are too focused or sound a bit Mickey Mouse. A solid degree in Psychology & English will impress any employer and be more useful in the long run.

Thanks! English is a hard subject at ALevel though I seem to do well in it :smile:
Reply 3
I assume you don't want your degree to be BPS accredited then?
If the course isn't right for you then look at other unis, you will have to have at least one other place you love too in case Keele don't make you an offer.
Reply 4
Have you visited any other universities? There are lots with the same sort of campus, etc. I have been to Keele and IMO I feel that Warwick and Uni of Sussex are quite similar to Keele in the sense of community and campus! Might be worth a look?
Reply 5
Original post by HelenaS88
Have you visited any other universities? There are lots with the same sort of campus, etc. I have been to Keele and IMO I feel that Warwick and Uni of Sussex are quite similar to Keele in the sense of community and campus! Might be worth a look?

Yeah I've been to quite a lot but Keele is my favourite
Reply 6
Original post by Shelly_x
I assume you don't want your degree to be BPS accredited then?
If the course isn't right for you then look at other unis, you will have to have at least one other place you love too in case Keele don't make you an offer.

Keele's Psychology course is BPS accredited?
Reply 7
Original post by cchalfpenny
Keele's Psychology course is BPS accredited?

Interesting, I thought you couldnt have a joint honours BPS course.
But the other thing I said still stands :smile:
Reply 8

I never mentioned BPS. But thanks :smile:

You can as long as the content matches the criteria specified by the BPS. I believe the degree must have at least 50% psychology and have the right content (research methods, cognitive psychology etc) :smile:
I never mentioned BPS. But thanks :smile:

Hi there.

If you want to study Psychology and potentially get a job at the end of it then you will need it to be BPS accredited. I study Psychology major/minor at Keele and it is one of the few dual courses that are accredited so don't worry about that! Also, the content of the Psychology course has a good crossover with Educational Studies and I enjoy it but it quite political at times. Criminology is also a popular combination but there are conflicting opinions about the content of it being interesting or boring! I've heard that English Literature is interesting though :biggrin: But definitely don't disregard Keele, it has a great campus and wonderful atmosphere!
Original post by Jesska xD
Hi there.

If you want to study Psychology and potentially get a job at the end of it then you will need it to be BPS accredited. I study Psychology major/minor at Keele and it is one of the few dual courses that are accredited so don't worry about that! Also, the content of the Psychology course has a good crossover with Educational Studies and I enjoy it but it quite political at times. Criminology is also a popular combination but there are conflicting opinions about the content of it being interesting or boring! I've heard that English Literature is interesting though :biggrin: But definitely don't disregard Keele, it has a great campus and wonderful atmosphere!

Thankyou :biggrin:
Original post by Jesska xD
Hi there.

Well, I'm particularly interested in developmental & educational psychology which is why I was thinking of Educational Studies! But when I visited the open day I realised that the only part of Educational Studies I was interested in were mainly the Psychology bits about children etc...only particular modules but not all of it! :confused::eek:
Well, I'm particularly interested in developmental & educational psychology which is why I was thinking of Educational Studies! But when I visited the open day I realised that the only part of Educational Studies I was interested in were mainly the Psychology bits about children etc...only particular modules but not all of it! :confused::eek:

Yeah the thing I dislike about Education is the fact that is the core modules are all about the history/politics behind education rather than the working of the current education system and students! But there are many elective modules that you can take that are more focused on the developmental side of children such as Play, Power and Pedagogy (different ways of teaching children and how they learn), Inclusive Education (special needs), etc, that aren't really touched on in Psychology. But I don't think you have to do Education to take the electives as most are standalone so something to think about! :smile:
There has to be more than 50% psych for BPS accreditation

That is why the dual honours at Keele all have Psychology as a MAJOR
(edited 11 years ago)
I have a friend who did Criminology and Psychology at Keele and as far as I know loved it, she finished her degree this year and has already got a job too.

Plus the Rock Society is awesome. :biggrin:
Guys I know all about the accreditation/dual honors etc..I was just inquiring what would be best to take Psychology with :'}
Reply 17
I'm applying to Keele to take Psychology/Criminology, but I've always had a clear view on what I want to do :smile: I thik it depends on where you want to go in life, if you're interested in psychology as a career, take it with sociology or criminology, but if you don't know what you want to do, pick a more general subject like English or history, as suggested :smile:
Anyone wanting to check the BPS accreditation of any psychology course should look at http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac

FWIW, Keele's joint honours (not just Major/Minor) are fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending