The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
beanie
so we sit here for the next 5 months and organise events? lol, we could organise the next 4 years in that time!

"march 3rd 2009 is my 21st birthday, by the way, so make sure you've got it all free guys" .... can you imagine how stupid that could get???

i know where pizza hut is on princes street, i'm cool like that... we could meet there and get 20% off with student ID!

haha yeah! also more to natter over accomodation and stuff and courses, what to read etc i dont know, just whatever!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
Hey. We can make this a support base as well. If anyone is having any difficulty fitting into student life then we can help each other out.
Reply 22
I would join but sadly they rejected me. Im here in spirit!! xxx
How do I join?!
I want to be official and have a logo!
Reply 24
Renza, you hit the spot exactly! also, if any of us happen to be doing the same subjects then we can help one another that way.

also, we can natter about revision, what we have bought for moving in, there's heaps! basically all the stuff we want to say to our mates but we can't because it would bore them!

you click on "socs" at the top of the page, its the button next to wiki and members. scroll down the page and then you will see Edinburgh Students Society. click on the "join this society" button and that is you! i will process your application, or one of the other leaders. and then you are a member!

those of you who are leaders, your name appears beside the society and you have the "manage society" functions available. basically you can process applications and i dont think that there is much else.

how is revision going for everyone?

carly
xxx
Guh I should start revising...

But I have become so lazy... and I am working too hard. Guh.
Reply 26
i'm bringing a sleeping bag or two up to uni with me then when my friends come to stay (which they will cos they love me :rolleyes: ) they can sleep on my floor... lol, i've got it all planned. we're all taking 2 sleeping bags to uni each in our friendship group.

my revision hasn't started yet! i wish i was scottish so much, you all have unconditonals... but we have general studies so ha ha ha :p:

how come we dont find out where we're going to be living until early september? as surely people are going to want more than a weeks notice whether they need to buy self catering stuff or not... if i don't get into Pollock then I'll have to do a mad rush out to buy loads of things, which sounds silly :confused:
Reply 27
i just accepted 2 people, i like this, makes me feel special being able to deny people access to edinburgh :smile:
Yay! Thankyou, i've applied to become a fully-fledged member!

Started revision last week, but however much I do there always seems to be more stuff to learn... Damn Psychology!

Has everyone applied for their accomodation yet? What are your three choices?

I've put down...

1. Darroch Court
2. College Wynd
3. Kincaid's Court

Don't have a clue what any of them are like cos I couldn't find any pictures or anything of them, so I just looked at the map and chose the ones nearest to the train station and George Square!
Reply 29
i didn't have to put 3 choices, which i didn't understand as its highly likely that i wont get into pollock... so how do they know where my preferences lie after that? or do they stick you in anywhere?

oooh yeah, theres always loads more to revise than you think! i'm going to my friends to act out Othello on wednesday for our lit revision. We acted out all of the texts last year and it really helps to remember them. could act out psychology experiments? :biggrin:
Yep if you don't get into Pollock then they have to make you an offer of somewhere but if you don't like that offer then they seem to be pretty funny about offering you somewhere else, so just accept where ever they stick you cos at least you'll have somewhere to live!

What a fab idea about acting out Othello! I'm studying that aswell so might just try and arrange that with some of my mates ( as long as I can be Iago!)
Reply 31
so if i dont like my house i can move in with you, right? hehe... do they allow trading of rooms if you like someone else more than yours? like, you just do a straight swap.

"Honest Iago" indeed... I love him so much, Othello is such a boring and stupid character. Like, normal people would check that the horrors they are being told are true before they kill their wife. Nobody takes the word of just one person, and surely Desdemona would have asked around for her handkerchief when she lost it? then Cassio would have been like oh I know where it is, I found it on the bed! ... Shakespeare has no logic sometimes.
Yeah if everyone else in the flat is ok with someone else moving in then it's allowed!

I love Shakespeare but the flaws in Othello make me so mad! If Emilia was such a good friend to Desdemona why did she give Iago the handkerchief and why didn't she tell Desdemona what she had done? Grrr! It gets me angry!
Reply 33
you are allowed to swap but you must wait for four weeks until you can move because the accomodation people argue that its not the flat you are in that you dislike, but it is the whole move which has upset you ie you miss home or something.

haha i wouldn't mind general studies, it would be nice to have a know a little about a lot!

not all scots get unconditionals, there are very very few people at my school who have one, it depends how well you did in 5th year.

i have the same fear about getting shunted anywhere because you dont get any other choices if you chose pollock, but wherever i am put i will make the most of it :p:

awww we don't do othello, we do Hamlet and King Lear.

does anyone have any reading list links for english language or linguistics?
Yeah, unconditionals are all dependent on how well you do in 5th year. So, really, 6th year is a waste of time for me atleast...

I applied to:

1.Darroch Court
2.Warrender Cres.
3.College Wynd
Reply 35
I love Shakespeare but the flaws in Othello make me so mad! If Emilia was such a good friend to Desdemona why did she give Iago the handkerchief and why didn't she tell Desdemona what she had done? Grrr! It gets me angry!

I don't think it was Emilia's fault though, she is innocent here... I think shes abit dumb and doesn't realise what a clever guy Iago is and she is always out to please him so gave the handkerchief to Iago. She needs his attention, hes so obsessed with the Othello-Cassio-Desdemona triangle that he just ignores her!

Yes... I do realise its all a play and not real :rolleyes:

I did Hamlet last year, he is too boring cos he moans all the time about wanting to die yet never does anything about it. At least Ophelia did something about her problems and died in the brook!

This has nothing to do with Edinburgh but oh well...
Reply 36
yeah 6th year is a waste of time for me as well! but the exams are in 3 weeks so ia m not giving up now!

i know but at least we are nattering about something and just getting to know one another :smile:
Reply 37
hello_its_me_
yeah 6th year is a waste of time for me as well! but the exams are in 3 weeks so ia m not giving up now!

ok i have a brilliant idea!

we'll trade places! my exams are starting in about 7/8 weeks and they determine whether im coming to edinburgh or not, and i'll do yours for fun :biggrin:

you get to do general studies...
Reply 38
no, really, it is okay! i don't envy you one bit! i am glad i am passed the stage of trying to meet conditions... god bless the scottish education system!

good luck though, i will think of you!
Reply 39
hello_its_me_
no, really, it is okay! i don't envy you one bit! i am glad i am passed the stage of trying to meet conditions... god bless the scottish education system!

good luck though, i will think of you!

no honestly i dont mind if we swap, its completely fine by me! in fact it could be a cultural exchange or something, perhaps... OR i'll trade you the part of my exam results from last years which says AS levels, for your part saying Highers, as then I'd be in.

Latest

Trending

Trending