The Student Room Group

Am I intellectually inferior to those at Oxbridge?

I haven't been rejected from Cambridge, as I am only in my AS year, but are those who get in automatically more intelligent than those who are rejected? I am inclined to say no as it may be an determined event e.g. luck regarding schooling, ect. I am just immensely worried that I am inferior to successful applicants... :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

think it depends on the course and a bit of luck getting offers there as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Of course not lol. In popular culture and uni marketing, no one talks about the large proportion of people from Oxbridge (or any university really), who have unremarkably average lives. Most people perform pretty well when they are 16-18, get in, work pretty hard to get a 2.1, and never think or engage with their subject academically (or do anything intellectual) for the rest of their lives.
Reply 3
There are so many factors that determine whether or not you're successful in applying to Oxbridge- yes, academic ability and perceived suitability for your chosen subject come into it, and the interviews are rigorous...but that doesn't mean Oxbridge students are necessarily more intelligent. Intelligence is a very mutable, elusive thing and it is certainly not black and white.
So I wouldn't have an identity crisis over a rejection if I were you, nor would I see being accepted to Oxbridge as the academic be all and end all. The whole education system/university application process? Not infallible in any way.
hell naw
Reply 5
Original post by rosefelicis
There are so many factors that determine whether or not you're successful in applying to Oxbridge- yes, academic ability and perceived suitability for your chosen subject come into it, and the interviews are rigorous...but that doesn't mean Oxbridge students are necessarily more intelligent. Intelligence is a very mutable, elusive thing and it is certainly not black and white.
So I wouldn't have an identity crisis over a rejection if I were you, nor would I see being accepted to Oxbridge as the academic be all and end all. The whole education system/university application process? Not infallible in any way.

Thank you for confirming what I thought. No doubt there will be some arrogance from successful applicants soon. :s-smilie:
Reply 6
No, because I'm going to Oxford. :colonhash:

Facetiousness aside, being rejected by Oxbridge doesn't mean you're intellectually inferior. Tutors have different agendas, the interview is subjective and they have to choose between a number of hugely able candidates. There are wonderful intellects at most - if not all - universities and being turned down by Oxbridge doesn't mean you're intellectually inferior to those who get in. :yep: If you get in, great - but it doesn't mean you're any more of an academic than if you get turned down after interview.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by member591354
Thank you. :h: My GCSEs are actually better than yours. Not that it matters.

EDIT: I love how some arrogant people, or one person, is negging every positive comment. They must want to stroke their own ego...

No worries. Congratulations to you - what did you get, just out of interest?

It's true though - let me link you some comments from an Oxford tutor - check out the last paragraph especially:

IME, what we tended to be wondering at interview (assuming that the candidate was talented enough and self-motivated enough - that's checked but pretty much assumed) was "how would it be to spend an hour or two hours a week in the company of this person, with one other student, talking about the topic they were sent off to research and write an essay on?"

So we were absolutely looking for independent thought, a preference for learning through conversation rather than having information fed at them to digest and critique alone later, the ability to defend a position and to change their mind mid tack - to think aloud and on the hoof and coherently, and to be a generous conversationalist.

There were people I interviewed who were certainly bright enough but would have been emotionally crucified, in my judgement, by spending an hour or two hours a week in intensive academic discussion with me. Some of those we were able to pass on to colleges where the tutor was the kind of personality which would be nourishing to them.

Some people were so bumptious that the prospect of spending an hour or two hours a week with them was just unbearable. Some of those we were able to pass on to colleges whose tutors enjoy the company of that sort of exuberant confidence.

Some people were very attractive to us, but there simply wasn't room for them, and they fell through the net because, having applied to an oversubscribed college, the places at the less fashionable colleges tended to have been filled by the time they filtered down.

And from my current position, I have to say that those of us at the other Russell group universities are DELIGHTED to pick up the Oxbridge rejects, they tend to have a LOVELY time with us, get good degrees, be good intellectual company, get plenty of intellectual stimulation outside Oxbridge and go on to have happy and successful lives. Especially the ones who shrink into their shells at interview - because the lecture plus careful pastoral attention model often suits them to a tee and they blossom and flourish into splendid splendid intellects.’
Reply 8
Original post by KingMessi
No worries. Congratulations to you - what did you get, just out of interest?

It's true though - let me link you some comments from an Oxford tutor - check out the last paragraph especially:

IME, what we tended to be wondering at interview (assuming that the candidate was talented enough and self-motivated enough - that's checked but pretty much assumed) was "how would it be to spend an hour or two hours a week in the company of this person, with one other student, talking about the topic they were sent off to research and write an essay on?"

So we were absolutely looking for independent thought, a preference for learning through conversation rather than having information fed at them to digest and critique alone later, the ability to defend a position and to change their mind mid tack - to think aloud and on the hoof and coherently, and to be a generous conversationalist.

There were people I interviewed who were certainly bright enough but would have been emotionally crucified, in my judgement, by spending an hour or two hours a week in intensive academic discussion with me. Some of those we were able to pass on to colleges where the tutor was the kind of personality which would be nourishing to them.

Some people were so bumptious that the prospect of spending an hour or two hours a week with them was just unbearable. Some of those we were able to pass on to colleges whose tutors enjoy the company of that sort of exuberant confidence.

Some people were very attractive to us, but there simply wasn't room for them, and they fell through the net because, having applied to an oversubscribed college, the places at the less fashionable colleges tended to have been filled by the time they filtered down.

And from my current position, I have to say that those of us at the other Russell group universities are DELIGHTED to pick up the Oxbridge rejects, they tend to have a LOVELY time with us, get good degrees, be good intellectual company, get plenty of intellectual stimulation outside Oxbridge and go on to have happy and successful lives. Especially the ones who shrink into their shells at interview - because the lecture plus careful pastoral attention model often suits them to a tee and they blossom and flourish into splendid splendid intellects.’

That's a little unfair. I have Asperger's Syndrome and don't fair well in conversations with people I am unfamiliar with. I hope I am not disadvantaged due to my neuroanatomy... :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by Muscovite
And yet your the one who just had to mention the fact that his GCSES were better than the other persons :rolleyes:

I didn't have to. It just makes me feel slightly less worthless knowing that those who have got into top universities didn't perform as well as I did. :rolleyes:
That's a little unfair. I have Asperger's Syndrome and don't fair well in conversations with people I am unfamiliar with. I hope I am not disadvantaged due to my neuroanatomy... :s-smilie:

Hmm. That's unfortunate, but is it, though? Oxford and Cambridge education is predicated on a tutorial system, and if you don't work well in that kind of conversational environment, is it going to be the best place for you? If you're going to be approaching every tutorial with trepidation because of Aspergers, it may be better for your happiness to be in a more lecture-based system. Just a thought.
Probably most of them are.
Reply 12
Hmm. That's unfortunate, but is it, though? Oxford and Cambridge education is predicated on a tutorial system, and if you don't work well in that kind of conversational environment, is it going to be the best place for you? If you're going to be approaching every tutorial with trepidation because of Aspergers, it may be better for your happiness to be in a more lecture-based system. Just a thought.

I can't forfeit a chance to study at such a prestigious establishment due to some syndrome I may have. I will perservere in improving my conversational skills, as I can be quite fluent when discussing my academic interests. I just hate small talk, it is such a waste of time. Also, my happiness is certainly not my priority; education and learning are all that matter to me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Not necessarily. Obviously there's a higher chance than picking someone from the general population, but not a guarantee by any means. I interviewed for Oxford and was rejected. Now, that could be because I was going for the wrong subject (which I do genuinely believe played a part), didn't go to a private school (which I don't) or was academically inferior to my peers, but in actuality it was because I came across badly at interview. The ability to interview, certainly in my case, was linked to confidence, which I didn't have much of at the time so I got nervous and messed up. So if anything I think for me it probably shows that I should have gone for a different subject (having studied for a year, I now know this was the case) and lacked confidence compared to others.
Reply 14
I didn't have to. It just makes me feel slightly less worthless knowing that those who have got into top universities didn't perform as well as I did. :rolleyes:

You shouldn't ever feel worthless
Reply 15
Original post by tory88
Not necessarily. Obviously there's a higher chance than picking someone from the general population, but not a guarantee by any means. I interviewed for Oxford and was rejected. Now, that could be because I was going for the wrong subject (which I do genuinely believe played a part), didn't go to a private school (which I don't) or was academically inferior to my peers, but in actuality it was because I came across badly at interview. The ability to interview, certainly in my case, was linked to confidence, which I didn't have much of at the time so I got nervous and messed up. So if anything I think for me it probably shows that I should have gone for a different subject (having studied for a year, I now know this was the case) and lacked confidence compared to others.

I emphasise with your case; I also lack confidence. Congratulations on getting into Warwick University, that is a commendable achievement. :h:
Reply 16
Original post by Muscovite
You shouldn't ever feel worthless

Well I have the bullies at my high school to thank for kicking the confidence out of me. My self-esteem is at an all-time low. Especially with applying to Cambridge. :s-smilie:
I can't forfeit a chance to study at such a prestigious establishment due to some syndrome I may have. I will perservere in improving my conversational skills, as I can be quite fluent when discussing my academic interests. I just hate small talk, it is such a waste of time. Also, my happiness is certainly not my priority; education and learning are all that matter to me.

Well, I appreciate your spirit but do remember it's not the only prestigious establishment there is. I totally agree with your decision to improve your interview skills and advise practicing discussing your subject with people at every opportunity.

Don't underestimate your happiness though; it's not to be undervalued.
Reply 18
No offence, but why are you so insecure about being "intellectually inferior" to Oxbridge students? There's loads of other great universities there, and tbh intelligence is really overrated - it means and translates to very little in the real world. People on TSR should really stop using their university and degree subject to define themselves so much.
Reply 19
Well, I appreciate your spirit but do remember it's not the only prestigious establishment there is. I totally agree with your decision to improve your interview skills and advise practicing discussing your subject with people at every opportunity.

Don't underestimate your happiness though; it's not to be undervalued.

Thank you for your advice. I will consider it. On an unrelated note, The Student Room has changed. When I first joined I only came across arrogant people who were unsupportive and vile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending