The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The Ask a Current University of Southampton Student Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, an accommodation question:
I know that insurance choice people are also guaranteed accommodation, but it says that for a few weeks they would be put in a twin room until a single room became available, and that the two people sharing the room have different contracts.
There is twin 1 who would stay in the room for the whole year, or twin 2 who would have to move out to a different (single) room within the first term.
But how do the accommodation services decided who to offer twin 1 contract to and who to offer twin 2 to? Also, are there only certain halls that do twin rooms or is it likely that you will get your first choice of halls even if it is your insurance university? And if you get twin 2, then when you have to move out, will your new room be in the same halls or would you perhaps have to move to a completely different complex after a few weeks??
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Hi, so what is the process for what happens between getting our results and turning up at the uni for Freshers Week? I know we will get a confirmation letter from UCAS, but what/how many forms will the university send to us before we get there, and when? Also, I know we have to reply to our accommodation offer within seven days, but is this all done online or do they send us paper forms by post to fill in and send back.
Basically, I am asking because I am going abroad on holiday a week after results day and not coming back until two days before the accommodation contract starts. So after results day, is a week long enough for me to receive and reply to any forms from both UCAS and the university ready for me to just turn up on the day that my accommodation contract starts, or do they require replies to things during the first two weeks of September? Is my 3 week holiday abroad with no internet access from a week after results day until two days before fresher's week a bad idea??
Reply 282
Original post by Joli
Hey all!

Some of the other university boards have this, so thought it might be worth doing something like this for the University of Southampton.

I'm a current student, as are quite a few of the others who have been posting here, but thought it might be useful to have a single thread with just questions and answers in to make it a bit easier to ask and get a definite and quick reply, and to see other answers. I've had a few questions sent individually, and again, it's probably best if everyone can see the questions and answers more easily :smile:

So if you're thinking of coming here (or about to start here), ask away! Whether it's about halls, courses, facilities, Southampton life, nightlife, things to do, meeting people, the atmosphere or just what it's like to be here - ask away!

If you're a current student, feel free to help! :smile:

If you do post in here, I'll do my best to reply within the day!

which is the closest accommodation hall to the main campus
Original post by Chike
which is the closest accommodation hall to the main campus

Highfield (a small hall which is 100% catered)
Then Glen Eyre
Then Archers Rd
Then city gateway
Then Wessex Lane (but that is the best connected by bus and is still only a 20 minute walk)
Then city centre halls

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/visitus/campuses/maps/southampton_route_map.pdf shows the halls compared to the campus
Reply 284
Original post by PQ
Highfield (a small hall which is 100% catered)
Then Glen Eyre
Then Archers Rd
Then city gateway
Then Wessex Lane (but that is the best connected by bus and is still only a 20 minute walk)
Then city centre halls

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/visitus/campuses/maps/southampton_route_map.pdf shows the halls compared to the campus

What about the new halls, Mayflower and Gateway
Original post by Chike
What about the new halls, Mayflower and Gateway

mayflower is in the city

gateway I mentioned
With regards to who is assigned twin 1 and 2, I'm pretty sure it'd be random...
I have a friend who was twinned for about 6 weeks, before moving out (he was twin 2) to a different halls. That said, I also know somebody who stayed within their halls when being de-twinned. So both can happen.

That said, with all the transport links to and from the halls, if you had to move to a new area, I don't think you'd necessarily lose any friends you'd made! The accommodation people ARE human, and will try to make you as comfortable as possible.
Reply 287
Hows the gyms like at the campuses in terms of quality of equipment and how busy it gets? Would it be more worthwhile getting a membership from one of the places in town?
Hi all.

If anyone has any accommodation questions we'll happily try and help. You can find us at: www.facebook.com/SouthamptonSAS

Thanks and good luck with applying for halls :smile:

Emily
Original post by Owniee
Hows the gyms like at the campuses in terms of quality of equipment and how busy it gets? Would it be more worthwhile getting a membership from one of the places in town?

There's one central gym at campus and a few gyms around at halls; also Team Southampton gym which is I think at the grass fields centre. The gyms at the halls rarely get busy but there's a few types of equipment. For example Wessex Lane doesn't have free weights.
The central gym in the Jubilee Sports Cenre at Highfield Campus can get very busy in the afternoons - I would not recommend going for the free weighs or the squat racks at that time. I think the equipment is good, I don't have base for comparison though.

Finally about picking local gyms instead - to join any University athletic clubs you need to have gym membership (which is actually membership for access to the entire Jubilee, the old sports hall and the playfields next to the airport).
Anyone get an offer that included a condition based off of their epq?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aimee2127
Anyone get an offer that included a condition based off of their epq?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subject?
Archaeology, but I'm just wondering in general how common it was seeing as there can't be many archaeology students :smile:
Oops forgot to tag you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Archaeology, but I'm just wondering in general how common it was seeing as there can't be many archaeology students :smile:

Oops forgot to tag you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well they allow it for the 4th AS grade in Medicine but it will vary per subject :smile:
Ah that's awesome I hope it's the same for archaeology seeing as I dropped an AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
i live in london, but will be living on campus.

when should i start applying for part time jobs?
Original post by ilikebigbuttshaha
i live in london, but will be living on campus.

when should i start applying for part time jobs?

No one lives on campus :wink: Halls are all off site. There are lots of jobs here so shouldn't take too long to get one :smile:

Ah that's awesome I hope it's the same for archaeology seeing as I dropped an AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do the requirements list a 4th AS?
Umm I think it's just on A2s but I'm sure most people will have 4 AS's anyway so it should help me get a bit further on with my application

Posted from TSR Mobile
Umm I think it's just on A2s but I'm sure most people will have 4 AS's anyway so it should help me get a bit further on with my application

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again it will depend on their admissions. If they don't require a 4th AS then I would imagine they'll only look at your A2 results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending