The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The Ask a Current University of Southampton Student Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TTBA(v)JD
There is parking and travel from the station to the uni for free :smile:

Out of interest, how do you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
parking and travelling for free? I believe when you register for the general big open day you get a bus pass and that gets you onto the unilink buses which is the unis own bus service. it will bring you to campus. Parking is done at West Quay (next to the station) and buses run similarly I believe.

If you're thinking about course specific open days (like offer holder open days) you still get a bus pass (at least I know this for medicine, I assume this is uni wide) and I understand you park at the halls of residence for free on offer holders open days :smile: This is again, just for medicine, but I assume it is the same elsewhere :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
What's the drum and bass scene line?
Reply 62
Original post by JJGomez
As an overseas postgraduate student, would 800 pounds per month for living expenses suffice?

im an overseas postgrad here, and if you mean 800 pounds not including the rent, thats plenty. i only spent around 700 on my first and maybe second month when i had to buy the essentials for the kitchen and my room, but now 400 or so is enough for me (the partying comes to a stop at some point especially if you re postgrad :tongue:)
Reply 63
Original post by tuile
im an overseas postgrad here, and if you mean 800 pounds not including the rent, thats plenty. i only spent around 700 on my first and maybe second month when i had to buy the essentials for the kitchen and my room, but now 400 or so is enough for me (the partying comes to a stop at some point especially if you re postgrad :tongue:)

Haha, sounds good. So would £800 including rent be enough then? If I may ask, which area are you doing your masters in?
Reply 64
Hello everyone, I was wondering if there are any current Biomedical Science students at Southampton on this thread? I have some questions about the course, and would really appreciate some advice from somebody studying the course itself!
Thank you :smile:
Any comsci w artificial intelligence students here? How is the population of girls in the course?

Also, are there malls or things to do OUTSIDE the university boundaries? Do students usually venture that far out? I'm currently deciding between soton and birmingham, mainly because I'd prefer not to be surrounded 24/7 by only students from my university.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey! I was wondering if there was anyone at University of Southampton that is studying Nursing and could possibly answer a few of my questions as I am someone looking very strongly into going into nursing at UoS! Please reply! :smile:
Original post by meganlindsay_
Hey! I was wondering if there was anyone at University of Southampton that is studying Nursing and could possibly answer a few of my questions as I am someone looking very strongly into going into nursing at UoS! Please reply! :smile:

I have a friend doing nursing here. I could ask her for you?
Original post by BethaneyJ
I have a friend doing nursing here. I could ask her for you?

That would be great if you could thank you!! :smile:
That would be great if you could thank you!! :smile:

She isn't on TSR but if you give me a load of questions I'll message them to her and post you answers to problem!
Reply 70
Hey. I have some questions about the work load. I'm going to be studying BSc Management, and I'm aware that it will differ in different subjects...
Is the workload a lot larger than A levels?

I have heard that it is difficult to get 40%, is this true?

Is it common that people fail to complete the first year?

Reply 71
Is anyone/does anyone know anyone who is doing Aeronautics & Astronautics at Southampton? I'm thinking of doing Aeronautics & Astronautics / Spacecraft Engineering and any insight into what the course is like would be extremely beneficial. :smile:
Original post by BethaneyJ
She isn't on TSR but if you give me a load of questions I'll message them to her and post you answers to problem!

Oh okay! Thank you very much!!! Here are a few questions:
When you live on campus do you have to travel to your placement in hospitals by yourself or do you move closer?
How much summer, winter, term breaks do you get a year?
How much time do you spend actually in your halls at campus?
Do you have enough time to party? (Haha)
What hospitals do you go to for placements?
Do you stay on campus with other people studying different subjects?
What qualifications did you get to study nursing at Southampton?
When you live on campus do you have to travel to your placement in hospitals by yourself or do you move closer?

I've sent them to her and I'll let you know! ^_^

She says:

Travelwise you have to find your way to placement, so if you want to/have the funds you can move closer but i dont really know anyone who has done that.

in your first year you get 2 weeks at christmas, 3 in summer and 2 at easter. year 2 its the same ecxept we have an additional 5 weeks of elective in the summer.

I dont know anything about the halls really.

If you want to you can. lots of people do get time to party.

placements can be southampton, basingstoke, portsmouth, winchester and i think generally hampshire.

you are mixed with other students on campus

I did an access course to study nursing but most people did a levels although i am not entirely sure what you need.

Hope that helps a bit!
Original post by Obscenedilemma
What's the drum and bass scene like?

^ ?

Edit: you needn't answer this (not that you were going to) there's a group called release that do monthly drum and bass nights in places like Junk and Roxx. I now know my firm
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Liamp487
Hey. I have some questions about the work load. I'm going to be studying BSc Management, and I'm aware that it will differ in different subjects...
Is the workload a lot larger than A levels?

I have heard that it is difficult to get 40%, is this true?

Is it common that people fail to complete the first year?

Hiya, I don't do management myself, but I've been able to drop the management academic president your questions and they've replied with this - hope it helps!

Work load varies with modules- you'll get some which require weekly blogs online, and some which require only one exam, but most in the middle are a combination of coursework and exam.
Classwork is weekly, and most of the time spending about an hour and half on it is sufficient to help you out with what you'll be doing in class. BUT, of course, if it's a topic you don't understand, spending longer than an hour and half is advisable. This is usually up to the student, and left to their discretion- you can cruise through your degree with minimum work, however to really understand what you're doing dedicating some time to figure it all out outside of lectures and classes is the best way. (Help is always available).

It's not difficult to get 40% at all, just make sure you attend lectures, keep up with classwork, hand in assignments and leave plenty of time to revise for exams, and you'll be on your way to a high 60%.
I haven't heard of anybody who has failed their first year of Management. Even the accounting modules!

If you've got any more questions, drop them an email at [email protected] :-)

Hope this helps!
Reply 77
I was just wondering why Southampton is rated so highly by the guardian and other timetables, I have viewed a few rated by modern languages and it is third, behind Oxbridge on most of them. Why is this seeing as it is much lower down in other subjects? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
hello!! I'm Luna, from India. I'm planning to join Southampton University later this year to study M.Sc in Unmanned Vehicle System design. Would you please provide me with the scenario of employability for non-EU students?
Reply 79
Hiiii :smile:

whats the city of southampton like? i never got to visit when i came to the uni :smile:
and also, do people go down by the sea or to any near by beaches at all? it sounds nice to be on the coast :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending