The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Sweet freaking damn! You epitomise everything that is wrong with university nowadays. Where do universities find these people? You are entering your third year of higher education and you can't carry out the simplest of simple calculations. This isn't a "blonde moment", a blonde moment is "oh **** I can't remember what the capital of Bolivia is all of a sudden" not "oh **** I can't do primary school mathematics all of a sudden".

The answer is 62.5% or more for a 2:1 and 77.5% or more for a first.
Reply 2
Should really be able to work out things like this yourself by now

Anyway, the above poster seems to be right.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Because you need a maths degree to work out simple percentages now?
Reply 4
Original post by MacroDan
Sweet freaking damn! You epitomise everything that is wrong with university nowadays. Where do universities find these people? You are entering your third year of higher education and you can't carry out the simplest of simple calculations. This isn't a "blonde moment", a blonde moment is "oh **** I can't remember what the capital of Bolivia is all of a sudden" not "oh **** I can't do primary school mathematics all of a sudden".

The answer is 62.5% or more for a 2:1 and 77.5% or more for a first.

Get Archimedes over here
Reply 5
Calculators (including online ones like Google) exist.
Reply 6
It's not necessarily as simple as working out the required percentages. You should really check your course regulations. There might be stipulations for certain classifications. It might require that a total of x is required along with a certain number of modules passed at 70% or more. At certain universities, this can mean that students who max out certain modules with very high scores, but score lower on several others don't necessarily get a 1st (or whatever) even though they might have the required average.

This can happen more often than one might think on degrees like Economics where students good at maths might get very high scores in maths, stats, and econometrics, but then bomb on macro, micro and so on - but still retain a high average.
(edited 11 years ago)
:lol:

You definitely haven't been here long.
Reply 8
Well, it is basic maths. If someone doesn't know how to do it then fine, I'll do it for them (as I frequently do) and won't make them feel bad about it or make them feel stupid. After all, I can't do everything in the world and there are people with genuine learning/maths difficulities. I wasn't confident doing long division until my final GCSE exams (despite being comfortable with algebra and some AS level maths) However, we can't pretend that it isn't simple maths and something that every 11 year old, let alone 20 year old, should ideally do. Numerical tests are used frequently in graduate job applications and will involve more complex maths than this, not to mention maths used in employment.

Anyway, I'm going to close this thread as the OP has received her answer although degree regulations and how classifications are determined can vary so it's probably best the OP gets advice from her department or consults the relevant literature.

If the OP would like me to move this to the specific university subforum where current students can inform her of her degree regulations then I will but she'll need to PM me the university name.

Latest

Trending

Trending